DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm trying to decide exactly what I'm going to do for a sub setup in my new stang. I have decided on 12w6v2 for bass. My problem is I cant decide on one ported or two sealed.

I'm trying to use the Winisd program to get an idea of how it would end up. When I plug the dual 12w6v2s sealed and the single ported, is it assuming that I'm only supplying each box with 1 watt total? Obviously if I run two sealed I will be giving it double the power as the ported (by running a 1000/1 instead of a 500/1). Does it take that into account? Because if I change the box with the two sealed to receiving 2 watts and leave the sealed at 1 watt, I prefer the response of the two sealed overall...

Thank you for your help!!!

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
click the signal tab and change the wattage to whatever you are gonna feed it.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
You can put the signal power in the other tab, but then you have to look at the SPL graph to see the spl differences. If you have all the stuff in you can look at xmax per frequency too and others. Note the response and spl are different graphs showing you different things. If you run out of xmax or unload the vent you can't run that much power at that frequency. It takes about 3dB to really note a difference.

Far as I know it applies the signal power to whatever number of drivers you have in there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do you look at the xmax per frequency?

I plugged in 2 sealed on 1000w vs 1 ported at 500w and the two sealed are louder the whole way... Sounds perfect to me!

Just wanna make sure the sealed arent bottoming out anywhere

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
lol, that is not a surprising outcome. you have 2 sub instead of one and you have 2x the power, lol. you should see at least a 6dB increase, the ported should have a flatter response down to the tuning point though.

click on the dropdown at the top and select "cone excursion" you do have to have all t/s input though. BL,Dd and Sd all have an effect on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The sealed box is a far flatter response...

I have the ported one at 2 ft3 tuned to 28hz

I have the sealed as 2.75 net total.

At peak gain on the ported box it's close to as loud as the dual sealed, but not quite.

I don't see where there is a dropdown box containing xmax.... I have version .44 and when I check for an updated one it says the newest is .44

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
You might want to compare a better single ported and cheaper dual sealed to be fair. I mean whatever you want but buying twice the subs and twice the amps/power certainly should have more output. Many go with ported because the response is flatter and easier to tune, in addition to getting more output per sub.

Drop down menu right at top of graph, cone excursion. I have an old alpha version I use, xmax should be in there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not so much the money aspect, I just LOVE the sound of the 12w6v2 and I've always preferred the sound of a sealed box. Ported def gets louder and lower but sealed just sounds better to me. I want the volume I have with my single ported 12w6v2 right now, and I want the "sound" of a sealed box, so a pair of 12w6v2's it is...

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
do you have winISD pro alpha? that is what I am running and it is ver .50a7

as for response, try different size and port tuning. something should get it pretty flat. not to say that sealed is bad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya, I just downloaded pro alpha... I tried enterring the 12w6v2 in it and it's giving me two errors... (QTS,QES,QMS and no, SPL, rho,c) grrrrrr

QTS, QES, QMS came straight from their site

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I only see more SPL at 50Hz and above. I see lots of xmax at 1K and 500w as you listed it shows max of 300 and 600 (less under 50Hz, 460w at 33Hz for ported) , but depends on how you use it. I'm more SQ I don't like either curve, but the sealed rolls off more from 50 the vented similar from 40 and down. But hey, if you know you like that sound then go for it. I always tell people to model a sub they like or EQ it and add the EQ to the model, to know what they want in a new sub.

I dloaded a list of subs. The one I have in is a 12W6 but shows no V2 it could be different.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow... you're smarter than me... haha

Honestly I love this stuff, but nobody around here has any knowledge/equipment to let me hear a WELL DESIGNED ported box... everyone just wants LOUD.

I love loud, but not at the expense of SQ. I've just never heard a clean/fast sounding ported box. I built a box exactly how I was told to for my re se/xxx and it sounds really good, but still not close to as accurate as I want. The most accurate system I've had was my 12w7, but this new 12w6v2 is sounding REALLY good.

My other issue is getting the box in/out of the car. The new mustangs are known for having that issue. The dimensions I can do are 37"w x 14"h x 13"d. Any SQ suggestions?

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Ya, I just downloaded pro alpha... I tried enterring the 12w6v2 in it and it's giving me two errors... (QTS,QES,QMS and no, SPL, rho,c) grrrrrr

QTS, QES, QMS came straight from their site
just put in QTS and QMS. it will calculate QES. should be really close to the manufacures spec.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, got it...

The single ported still barely reaches the dual sealed line for a brief period, but the sealed seems overall flatter....

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
Look I use LEAP, BASS BOX PRO ,WIN iSD, and a few others.

WIN ISD is about the worst to use, you can not predict cabin gain, and sometimes it's goes whack with correct qts,qms,qes vas. Specs.

I suggest you get Jbagby's program for FREE and use it he also makes a free cabin gain, room program that you do and then plug it ( import the file ) into the his box building software, it works wonders you see actual response in car and a **** ton more.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
OK, got it...

The single ported still barely reaches the dual sealed line for a brief period, but the sealed seems overall flatter....
that is pretty typical. sealed dont "tune" anything. so they generally just start to roll off at some freq and continue to roll off until they hit rock bottom.

ported can be more tricky. poorly designed, a ported box will sound bad or turn into a one note wonder. properly designed, they can sound better than sealed IHMO. the caveat with ported is that they can be 2X the airspace as sealed. if your trunk dont have the space, then it is not a consideration, lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ya, I think I have a much better chance of making two sealed sound better than one ported with my knowledge/experience/available space.

I run sealed because I'm not good enough to do a good ported... hahaha

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Ya, I think I have a much better chance of making two sealed sound better than one ported with my knowledge/experience/available space.

I run sealed because I'm not good enough to do a good ported... hahaha
lol. with a design tool like winISD or the others that were mentioned, you can do it. but it does take more work and sometimes you just miss the mark and have to adjust it, lol. as the other guy mentioned, winISD does not take cabin gain into account, this can change a ported box tuning. once you get it in the car, you may have to retune it. (sub breakin can cause this too since most T/S specs are taken from new subs)

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Lol, I like about 4-5cf ported that gets me some 30Hz. Likely I would look for a different sub for my app if I wanted a smaller box, (but then thats why I did IB so I have no box at all). 3cf would be my cutoff could not tolerate less than that its -3dB at 30.

Usually a flatter line means more accurate, peaks you have to EQ out. Though to some people tight is more 50Hz, an SPL type sound, which is easier to get with a smaller box.

True it has no cabin gain, but if you have another sub even temp sub in there you can compare and negate the need for cabin gain factors. IMO I can get rid of bass easy, so I always would rather have extra and always model for that.

I want to port my entire trunk just to see if I would get any lower response out of it like the model suggests.....but hardly have room in the baffle to do it and too busy to work on my doors let alone more sub work when they please me just as they are.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts