DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find different diameters of grommets for my amp rack for the speaker, rca, power etc.... to go from the amp through the amp floor to underneath. I have found some before but the lip was real thin and they had some company name stamped on the lip. Any clues? ive looked at parts express but they only have like 1.25" or larger

·
Registered
844 Posts
Check out McMaster-Carr, they have a good selection.

What size you looking for? There's a full industrial controls panel shop at my work, I can look tomorrow at work and see what we have on-hand.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Radio Shack and Lowe's have a pretty good selection. The diameters (across) might be workable, but the thickness they accomidate may be lacking- like if you have to go through 1/4 or thicker wood for example.

In that case, I just shave off the other mounting flange, and I have just a tube with a flare on it. Then I Shoo-Goo 'em in there. THe outer flange looks nice, and the glue prevents the half-grommet from popping out if you have to adjust wire in or out.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If the hole substrate is thin (firewall or similar) and the hole is bigger then 1" you can use silicone vacuum line to make a grommet any size you want. Just cut the line to the diameter of the hole and then split the hose its full length with a razor. Put a few dabs of silicone sealer around the hole and install.

Looks good and cheap.

May not work for this app....but keep it in the back of your mind if you get in a bind.

~jh

·
Registered
55 Posts
lowes and home depot have a selection of sizes. As noted, they will probably work best for thin surfaces. You can cut the gaskets in half and glue them to achieve a niece asthetic for thicker materials, or, for larger holes, you can take a cue from many oems and guy to napa or autozone and buy weather stripped and cut it in a circle and glue it in place. mcmaster carr has a variety of grommets, and some other places that carry various products that might assist you are parts express.com and pegasus auto racing. com

·
Registered
979 Posts
I just grab em by the 80 pack off of egay. They don't go clean through an amp rack, but do good enough. Can't post pic from phone, but I think there are a couple of shots of em on my build thread

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts