DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok well if any of you have seen my previous thread
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/product-selection-comparisons/56052-crystal-clear-hammering.html
i did get the dayton MKIII subs. well i hooked them both up inside my overly huge sealed enclouser..i have them hooked to a kenwood excelon x1200m..1200rms...there hooked up in parallel @ 2 ohms..
anyways i started rockin to a creed song and my dad begged for bass so i through my bass test cd in...about 10 seconds into it they stop

first time out with new subs look what happens....

its 60Amps if you cant read...

now i think my fuse is too small but a short is possible so i am going to check...but just to be sure i want your guys advice

if you want to know i have my subs hooked up like this....

i ran 1 set of wires to the + and + side of one woofer....then SODDERED another set of wires to that.....the soddered end of the pair of wires i conected to the other woffer....then the other to the amp

so basicaly one + on one woffer is hooked up to the other woffer...then another wire is hoked up to that woofer (the one with the wire from the other sub) to the amp.......the negative is the same

did i do somthing bad/wrong?
is the fuse to small?
in case you havent noticed those are pictures of my amp and subs

edit: my power cable is 4gauge (i got jipped on it it isnt as thick as it should be but its bigger than six gauge so really close to 4 gauge) its about 2 inches from my battery before the fuse..then it runs about 14-16ft to the end of my car to the amp

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
You don't have a short, you've exceeded the flow of current to your subs allowed by a 60 amp flow regulator [ go find some info on Ohms law ] or if you can't understand it ... wire your subs in series and call it a day ! { higher resistance will lessen the current in amperes }.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...0-got-basic-questions-here-basic-answers.html

The X1200M ($500 suggested retail price) is Kenwood’s most powerful mobile power amplifier ever built. With Class D rated power at 800 watts (RMS) at 4 ohms, 1,200 watts (RMS) at 2 ohms and a maximum power rating of 2,400 watts, the X1200M is stable at 1-ohm operation making it the choice for extreme power output. Dual Sigma Drive circuitry is used to improve the amplifier’s damping factor which means more control over subwoofers. A continuously variable low pass filter (50Hz to 200Hz) helps to tune the subwoofer system for maximum output, while a variable infrasonic filter (15Hz to 40Hz) cuts low frequency output at the point where it is not audible, increasing amplifier efficiency and lowering distortion.

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
Ohms Law is described in great detail with pictures at BCAE

OHM'S law
There are 2 base formulae which will help you to understand the relationship between current , voltage , resistance and power . If you have any two of the parameters, you can calculate the other two parameters.

This Law has been around for a few days now ...
Quote>
German physicist (1787–1854)

Ohm, who was born at Erlangen in Germany, seems to have acquired his interest in science from his father, a skilled mechanic. He studied at the University of Erlangen and then taught at the Cologne Polytechnic in 1817. From 1826 to 1833 he taught at the Military Academy in Berlin, moving to the Polytechnic at Nuremburg before finally obtaining a chair in physics at Munich in 1849.

Despite the fact that he published his famous law in 1827 in his Die galvanische Kette mathematisch bearbeitet (The Galvanic Circuit Investigated Mathematically) he received no recognition or promotion for more than twenty years. Ohm seems to have been stimulated by the work on heat of Joseph Fourier. The flow of heat between two points depends on the temperature difference and the conductivity of the medium between them. So too, argued Ohm, with electricity. If this line of thought is pursued it soon leads to the general form of Ohm's law that the current is proportional to the voltage. Using wires of different sizes he was able to show that the resistance was proportional to the cross-sectional area of the wire and inversely proportional to its length.

Ohm also worked on sound, suggesting in 1843 that the ear analyzes complex sounds into a combination of pure tones. This result was rediscovered by Hermann von Helmholtz in 1860.
Quote>

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
The fuse is definately too small for that amp. I'm willing to guess that amp is internally fused for 120amps. With the wire you have I'd put a 100amp anl or maxi fuse on it and call it a day.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fuse is definately too small for that amp. I'm willing to guess that amp is internally fused for 120amps. With the wire you have I'd put a 100amp anl or maxi fuse on it and call it a day.
HA! i was right!.......my dad was bitchin at me for being stupid...(i said it was too small right away and didnt have a short..thus need a bigger fuse)

and i know i can wire it in series for a 4Ohm load....i WANT to wire it in parallel for the extra power...

seeing as AGU only go to 80 amps i guess ill get a ne fuse set up..go maxi right away.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
o the amp is completly destroying my battery meter and probably going to kill my car...was just going to get a high current altenator....when of course someone suggested a Cap. I know they help with grounding but i also know they are pretty much worthless after that (acording to ppl here and audio store) there are also Bat caps....
anyways should i just go straight for the altenator or forget the cap or should o go both

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Series would give you an 8 ohm load with those subs.

I'd upgrade the alty and forget the cap. Caps are only useful if the charging system can keep up on its own. Once a cap is discharged it makes things WORSE if the charging system is weak.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Series would give you an 8 ohm load with those subs.

I'd upgrade the alty and forget the cap. Caps are only useful if the charging system can keep up on its own. Once a cap is discharged it makes things WORSE if the charging system is weak.
edit: ncm not DVC..my other ones were so it would be 8ohms and that would be way to low

i want the xtra power so 2Ohm load is good.....ill just get a new fuse set up and a high curent alty (which i had planed inthe budget anyway)

ok so no cap...ive heard a few things about these "Bat caps" they any better or still worthless?

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
# 46
Basic Car Audio Electronics

quote>
Large capacitors are used as a sort of electrical shock absorber. As voltage starts to rise, the capacitor will absorb energy which will tend to keep the voltage from rising as quickly as it otherwise would. If the voltage starts to fall, the capacitor's stored energy will flow out of the capacitor to try to keep the voltage up. A capacitor's ability to absorb/release energy from/to external circuits depends on the capacitor's specs (capacitance, ESR, ESL...), the output impedance of the power source (alternator and power wire in this case) and the circuit's input impedance (into the amplifier's power supply).
quote>

There is a thread : http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...0-got-basic-questions-here-basic-answers.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts