DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all IM a little lost

thinking of wiring up 6 8" or 6.5" woofers just to be different, that and Im bored lol with (too much left over resin and mat lol)

anyway I cant find a tutotorial as to how to wire up 6 D2 woofers
can I wire them all into series to get a single 6 ohm mono signal?

·
Registered
120 Posts
if you wire them series-parallel you can get a 6 ohm load
if you wire them straight series you get 24 ohms or straight parallel you get .17 ohms

for series parallel you basically wire 2 sets of 3 subs in series, then wire those individual sets in parallel (hope that makes sense)

·
Registered
120 Posts
hey newtitan, I have a nifty little .exe that can calculate this stuff. shoot me your email addy and I will email it to you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
just what vibrator said:

sub 1 + sub 2 + sub 3 in series (SET #1):

sub 1 (+) -> sub 1 (-) -> sub 2 (+) -> sub 2 (-) ->sub 3 (+) -> sub 3 (-)

sub 4 + sub 5 + sub 6 in series (SET #2):

sub 4 (+) -> sub 4 (-) -> sub 5 (+) -> sub 5 (-) ->sub 6 (+) -> sub 6 (-)

SET #1 (12 ohm load) + SET #2 (12 ohm load) in parallel:

amp (+) -> SET #1 (+) -> SET #2 (+)
amp (-) -> SET #1 (-) -> SET #2 (-)

Total ohm load (based on 4 ohm woofers): 6 ohms

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have some adcom amps that would just love to help you on that .17ohm load. I here that they have been tested down to .0625ohm before and lived to tell the tale, but me, i just run them at an easy 8-4ohm.
Hans

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i dont really like the current draw of most amps lower than 2 ohm

my sub amp does a mean 1200 @ 4ohm mono

so at 6 ohm id think maybe 8-900 thats good enough the woofers are only 150w rms

if I cant find a 6th one, I may end up running 4 only wired to 4 ohm mono, whihc scares me lol

·
Registered
127 Posts
mbcouple said:
I have some adcom amps that would just love to help you on that .17ohm load. I here that they have been tested down to .0625ohm before and lived to tell the tale, but me, i just run them at an easy 8-4ohm.
Hans
That is simply ridiculous. What sort of wattage do they put out around those loads?

Reactions: npdang

·
Registered
122 Posts
Typicaly the adcoms come close to doubling the power as the load is halfed. A 4402 will put out 40w into 2 channels at 4ohms 80w/channel at 2ohm, and a mono load in 4ohm is around 140w. There are no published numbers after that, but going in that trend, anything less than an ohm would be some serious power.
Hans

1 - 10 of 10 Posts