DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm adding a capacitor to my system, as well as a second amp. The capacitor is an Audison 1.3 farad, and the amps are JL 500/5 and 250/1...

I understand that the posiive cable should run from the battery to the cap, and then to the amps (fused of course), and as the top of the cap is solid aluminum, with multiple inputs/outputs, it should be fine as a distribution block. Can I do the same thing with the ground, connecting both amps to the cap and running one wire to the chassis? Or do I need separate ground cables from each piece of equipment? Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've actually read that page you linked to, and it doesn't answer my question...which is why I posted it on DIYMA...thanks though.

And yes, I know it's controversial on these boards, but I'm going to try adding a cap to my system and make my own judgement as to how well it works...

Can anyone answer my question? Do I need 3 separate ground wires to the chassis, or can I run both the amplifier's ground to the cap, and then run one ground to the chassis?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Run grounds from the amps to the cap. Ground the cap with the shortest wire possible to the thickest piece of metal on car.

If the amps are fused you don’t necessarily need to place another fuse between the cap and amps. But you do need a fuse as close to the battery as possible.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Run grounds from the amps to the cap. Ground the cap with the shortest wire possible to the thickest piece of metal on car.

If the amps are fused you don’t necessarily need to place another fuse between the cap and amps. But you do need a fuse as close to the battery as possible.
what good will fuses on the amp do if the wire gets cut in some fashion?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Some amps do not have internal fuses. Hence you need to fuse them externally.

If the wire between the amp and cap shorts out somehow, the fuse by the battery will blow.

pick one story and stick with it. it doesn't matter if your amps have internal fuses or not, you still need to fuse it at the battery.

·
Super Moderator
5,230 Posts
I assumed the image of 2 amps in the link would be self explanatory. Ground the amps and cap to chassis.

Fuse the amps after the cap if they don't have internal fusing, and fusing at the batt. should be done regardless of using an capacitor.

·
Registered
475 Posts
pick one story and stick with it. it doesn't matter if your amps have internal fuses or not, you still need to fuse it at the battery.
A failure to communicate?

OP’s scenario:

Battery-------cap---2 amps

Fuse definitely needed after the battery and as close as possible to the battery. If both amps are internally fused, no need for anymore fuses after the cap. If amps are not internally fused; fuse both hot leads from the cap to the two amps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.