DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is probably simple, but I haven't done an install in years and am about to..

I have a alpine head unit (iDa-X305s), and amp (PDX-F4) with JL C5-650's going into a 2004 Audi allroad (wagon).

I'd like to rip out the bose amped system and run proper gauge speaker wire
to the 4 doors (no sub yet). and power/remote to the amp sitting in the left/rear of the car. (the Bose system only runs + to speaker and uses chasis for ground I think.. yikes).

Q: what gauge/length speaker wire should I use? 16g?

Q: Same for amp power and remote: I measured 16 ft from furthest battery post to left/rear and based on a chart I found

looks like I could get away with 8ga:confused: for 33amps (400W/12V) - 25amps (300W/12)

Any other hardware I should order? to I need crimp terminals for the speaker end?

Thanks!

mycorrado

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
14 or 16 gauge for the speaker wire is fine
for the difference in price, I would go for a 4ga power wire. its not much more and will give you are little more assurance that it is big enough.

if you have two amps to wire, make sure you get a distro-block. grounding block is handy, dont forget ground wire for the amps, 4ga as well. crimp connectors, crimpers, basic hand tools etc :p

where are you getting signal for the amplifiers? gonna need RCAs? I assume you are gonna use passives?

ossum car BTW, i have a 2002 allroad, love it!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Above NAILED it. I run Home Crepo 16 gauge for my car and run 12 gauge for my 1k Rms subs. All you need. Remember power wire is DC (amps) and the speakers are AC (voltage).

·
DIYMA lurker
802 Posts
The Bose system doesn't use the chassis as a speaker return path, I guarantee this; speakers are ungrounded. There are existing + and - for each speaker. There aren't as many speaker circuits coming from the amp as there are drivers, because the tweeter runs parallel off the woofer with a built in capacitor as a passive crossover. This will be a challenge if your tweeters are in the doors (I'm not familiar with the Allroad) because there is only one pair of speaker wires going into the door, and there is no room to put a second set of wires from your external crossovers. What is your installation plan?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car has 'door' (not pillar) mounted factoy tweets upper front corner near glass. The C5-650 LJ's have a passive crossover block, about the size of a PC mouse, plan on placing it in the door if there is room.

Thanks for all the help!

·
DIYMA lurker
802 Posts
Same as in my S4. Water gets in the doors, so try to find a place behind the door panel and then seal it off good. Also, I suggest running your new speaker wires up to the connection plug in the door, and then just tapping into the stock speaker wiring. Running new wires into the door is supremely difficult and not worth the effort if you are running passive.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The only thing i might suggest is NOT mounting the crossovers in the door. Run the 2 outputs from the crossover inside the cabin into the door. Keeps the crossovers away from any moisture and vibration and if you need to adjust any setting on the crossover its a lot easier than taking the door panel back off.

Above might have a point though. Molex plugs in an Audi are a royal PITA to run wire through.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts