DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I feel dumb asking as this is very basic stuff, but since I didn't perform the install I'm just trying to understand and visualize the wiring. Also, in preparing for my MS8 to arrive and install I threw in a question related to that - hope that's OK

I created this diagram and wanted to know if this is how my system is now wired.

My questions are per the diagram (view full scale):

1. There are two new "wire harnesses", yes? Harness #1 is coming from the HU and Harness #2 is "hard wired" directly to the speakers (coming from the amp)?

2. Why isn't the sub going through the LC6 like the rest - its hooked directly up to the amp? I assume it has something to do with #3

3. Why is channel three "jumpered" to channel one on the LC6

4. When I install the MS8, I plan to remove the LC6, take the "New Harness #1" (this is theoretically the high/speaker levels?) connect (solder) those to the MS8 "Hi Level input" harness, then the MS8 output to the AMP, yes?

5. The SUB => do I add the sub wire to #4 above (e.g. add it to the MS8 "Hi Level input" harness) so its then in turn part of the MS8 outs?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not knowing what the original car/head unit is, it's difficult to know what was done with your wiring. I am working out the bugs in a very similar system. I am using the factory HU with an Audio Control LCQ-1, a JL 700/5, a JL 8w3v3
and Polk components.
The outputs to the speakers should all come from the amp. No speaker (including the sub) should be connected to the LC-6 or MS8. The JL 700/5 can create a sub output from the HU or LC-6 input.
When you install the MS8 you will need a new RCA cable from the MS8 sub output to the JL 700/5 sub input & you will switch the JL700/5 to 6 channel input from what its on now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not knowing what the original car/head unit is, it's difficult to know what was done with your wiring.

The vehicle is a '10 Mazda3. I guess I was thinking that regardless of vehicle, most stock HU are similar as far as cutting in aftermarket speakers, e.g. cut the harness and solder in new wire assemblies as my diagram depicts. I was thinking that this was the common procedure, and was looking for clarification. However, after I submitted this, I thought "why not just take out the damn HU and look"! :) Its not to difficult, I'll try and work on that and should be able to get a better idea etc..

I am working out the bugs in a very similar system. I am using the factory HU with an Audio Control LCQ-1, a JL 700/5, a JL 8w3v3
and Polk components.
The outputs to the speakers should all come from the amp. No speaker (including the sub) should be connected to the LC-6 or MS8. The JL 700/5 can create a sub output from the HU or LC-6 input.
When you install the MS8 you will need a new RCA cable from the MS8 sub output to the JL 700/5 sub input & you will switch the JL700/5 to 6 channel input from what its on now.

The JL is already on 6chnl mode. I'm pretty sure that the "harness #1" is ethernet wire, is that common/good? I would think it's a good thing if that's the case being solid copper?

Unlike the other speakers that will be going to the MS8's "High Level IN", I'm confused on how the sub connects to the ms8. Do just the front comps and rears connect to the MS8's "High Level IN" harness and then from the MS8's RCA OUT's they go to the AMP. Where is the sub? Do I just connect an RCA from the MS8's channel 8 OUT to the AMP's sub RCA IN and keep the sub hooked up to the amp as I currently do? I have looked at the examples in the MS8 manual but I'm not getting it:confused:

·
Registered
38 Posts
If your factory stereo head unit did not come with a subwoofer, then the MS8 is going to create the subwoofer channel.

The MS8 will therefore have 3 pairs of RCA cables going to the amp.

Front, Rear, & Subwoofer

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your factory stereo head unit did not come with a subwoofer, then the MS8 is going to create the subwoofer channel.

The MS8 will therefore have 3 pairs of RCA cables going to the amp.

Front, Rear, & Subwoofer
Correct, stock HU does not provide a sub channel. Got it.

Maybe its just me, but reading the manual, its somewhat confusing as the picture below states "DO NOT USE" / connect the rears, sides or center? To me that means only hook up the fronts per that diagram? I assume I'll be using channels (inputs) 1-4 for the fronts and rear and channel 7 for the sub and then out to the amp.

Unit should be here Wed and hope to get started.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts