DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I have just purchased a sub and an amplifier and I have a wiring question. The sub is DVC (2 2ohm coils). I know I want to wire in parallel for 1 ohm output. My question is as follows:

Would it be better to simply wire the sub in parallel on the sub terminals themselves (positive to positive, negative to negative), OR mount two sets of speaker terminals from the cabinet (one for each voice coil) and two sets of wires (again one for each voice coil) and them wire them to the four terminals on the output section of the amp? (attached is a picture from the manual showing hooking up two subs, and instead of that I would be hooking up each voice coil individually). Basically is it better to do the "parallel" part on the sub, or "in" the amp. I would think individually wiring the voice coils would be twice as much wire if nothing else so might be a better signal? This might be insignificant or it might not be. Thanks!

Font Automotive design Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Art

· Registered
980 Posts
I would run the wires from the speaker to the terminal cup and parallel them there.

In the future if you ever want to change the box to 4 ohm you can just remove the terminal cup and change it to series.

As long as you're running 12ga wire inside the box you'll be fine (unless you're running 8KW to it or something.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would run the wires from the speaker to the terminal cup and parallel them there.

In the future if you ever want to change the box to 4 ohm you can just remove the terminal cup and change it to series.

As long as you're running 12ga wire inside the box you'll be fine (unless you're running 8KW to it or something.
Thanks for the input!

I was thinking about running two 10 AWG speaker wires (so four wires) from the cabinet to the amp. Maybe that is overkill? And 10 AWG from the terminals (not using cups) to the sub itself. 1000W sub, 1000W (basically) amp. Also torn between ordering 0 AWG from the battery to the trunk or 4AWG. The amp takes 4 but I thought about maybe putting a distribution block in, in case I wanted to add more amps/stuff later.

· Registered
345 Posts
Thanks for the input!

I was thinking about running two 10 AWG speaker wires (so four wires) from the cabinet to the amp. Maybe that is overkill? And 10 AWG from the terminals (not using cups) to the sub itself. 1000W sub, 1000W (basically) amp. Also torn between ordering 0 AWG from the battery to the trunk or 4AWG. The amp takes 4 but I thought about maybe putting a distribution block in, in case I wanted to add more amps/stuff later.
If you already think you may want more, and can budget for it now, I’d defo go with 0ga. Would suck to have to redo it all again in less than a few years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.