DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two subs in different boxes can I run them both together or do I need to run them separate to bridge the amp or is it the same thing just running one box to the other

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have two subs in different boxes can I run them both together or do I need to run them separate to bridge the amp or is it the same thing just running one box to the other
Actually my question is one of my sub boxes is already ran bridge to the amp can I just run my other box into the other boxes terminals so I don't have to make more breaks in the line

·
Premium Member
3,538 Posts
What is the impedence of each sub?
and what impedence can the amp drive?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the impedence of each sub?
and what impedence can the amp drive?
Well the 12 is 600 watts and the 10 is 550 but it's just a cheap 2000 watt Pyle amp probably 400 watts bridged at 2ohms very cheap amp I have the gain under 3/4 of the way up ,Ando yeah I have small amp wire it's not shutting off but have compactor and I was wanting to know if I could Mount it to the cars body without any Sparks or fire f

·
Premium Member
3,538 Posts
A "Digital Multi Meter" (DMM) can be used to measure resistance... ohms are the units for resistence.

(Watts are the units for power, names after James Watt who defined the imperial HorsePower unit.)

·
Registered
641 Posts
You can wire off another box as you describe and that in and of itself would not be the problem. The problem is, by wiring another sub you are changing the impedance of your load to your amp. You'll either make the ohm load go higher and the amp will put out less watts than it was to just your single sub. Or you'll drop the ohm load, possibly below what your amp can handle and burn it up. In addition, if either of your subs are dual voice coil that complicates the wiring and you may not be able to run wiring from box terminal to box terminal.

The first step you need to determine is what are your subs, are they dual or single voice coil and what is the ohm per coil. From there, then you can determine a proper wiring to get the final ohm load you want on the amp. And this is what will determine if you can just wire from one box to another.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can wire off another box as you describe and that in and of itself would not be the problem. The problem is, by wiring another sub you are changing the impedance of your load to your amp. You'll either make the ohm load go higher and the amp will put out less watts than it was to just your single sub. Or you'll drop the ohm load, possibly below what your amp can handle and burn it up. In addition, if either of your subs are dual voice coil that complicates the wiring and you may not be able to run wiring from box terminal to box terminal.

The first step you need to determine is what are your subs, are they dual or single voice coil and what is the ohm per coil. From there, then you can determine a proper wiring to get the final ohm load you want on the amp. And this is what will determine if you can just wire from one box to another.
The jl audio 12 is 4 ohms single coil and the kicker 10 cvt is also single coil 2 ohms so what I did is I ran them both separate to the amp breaking it down to 2 ohms and it's hitting pretty good no distortion or burnt up amps so I hope I have fixed it my worry was the different ohms in the speaker but yes there both single voice coil I wish my 12 would have been dual voice coil then I wouldn't even needed the 10 inch but it wasn't so that's why I added it

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The jl audio 12 is 4 ohms single coil and the kicker 10 cvt is also single coil 2 ohms so what I did is I ran them both separate to the amp breaking it down to 2 ohms and it's hitting pretty good no distortion or burnt up amps so I hope I have fixed it my worry was the different ohms in the speaker but yes there both single voice coil I wish my 12 would have been dual voice coil then I wouldn't even needed the 10 inch but it wasn't so that's why I added it
Does that make a big difference that the 12 is 2 ohms and the 10 is 4 ohms if so how do I wire it without damaging the amp?

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
It's a

Pyle 1000 yes mono 2 ohm stable 2 channel amp
It’s either mono, or 2 channel, not both. It’s probably a mono amp with 2 outputs that are tied together to make wiring easier.
What you’re trying to do isn’t recommended, the 2 ohm sub will get twice the power of the 4 ohm sub, and who knows what the final response will be like. Look up series vs parallel wiring to get an idea of what you’re yp against.
If you wire them in parallel you’ll probably be sending a load that the amp won’t like (is the amp 1 ohm stable?)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It’s either mono, or 2 channel, not both. It’s probably a mono amp with 2 outputs that are tied together to make wiring easier.
What you’re trying to do isn’t recommended, the 2 ohm sub will get twice the power of the 4 ohm sub, and who knows what the final response will be like. Look up series vs parallel wiring to get an idea of what you’re yp against.
It's just a bridgable 2 channel amp

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's a 1000 millennia plm 205 and it says 2 ohm stable bridgeable mosfet amp
And I really don't care about the amp it was very cheap ,BUT I WANT TO KNOW THE CORRECT WIRING SO IT DOESN'T NESS UP MY NEW AMP I HAVE COMING ,and I also want to know I have a compacitor and I Mount it to the frame of the truck without arching?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts