DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going over my plan for my front stage and noticed that what I have planned for a midrange speaker has a very low RMS power handling 30W. The amp that I plan on using is a 6 channel JL a6450 that puts out roughly 70w at 4 ohm. The speaker is a dayton rs100-4. Will I burn this speaker up if I use it on this amp?

·
Registered
519 Posts
What kills speakers if average power over time. When you are running the 70W at near maximum output, it is probably on putting out a fraction of that on average over time since the music doesn't demand a constant unvaried output.

If you run the amp cleanly you are not likely to burn up the speaker. However, there is potential for the speaker to reach its mechanical limitations while using more than rated power. You would hear this as distortion. A good speaker response plotting software, like winisd, could show you how the speaker would perform with varying levels of power and where it would reach its mechanical limits. My guess would that you would be fine with 70 watts as long as you are not trying to run the speaker outside of its intended frequency range.

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
quote>
I'm really happy with the sound reproduction of this little speaker, but it's SPL is kind of on the low side and makes it a pain to match with other drivers and attenuating
quote>

Quote>
I used these small drivers to build a simple set of speakers for my kids. They run full range without any crossover. In a small ported enclosrue they really sound good. Much better than anything I could have purchased from the big box stores. Now both kids have great looking and sounding speakers (start them young!).
Quote>

There you have it ! ^^^^;)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Yep, what he said^^ To put it simply, just use your head (and ears, especially). I have never run less than 2x the RMS of a driver, and have never blown a speaker (of my own :D). Dynamic range is a great thing for music.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts