DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went home for my lunch break, and my amps showed up via Fedex today! Time to test them, (bought off of ebay,) and then I know what I'll be doing this weekend!

Sorry for the pointless post, but I had to share, and noone at my work cares about this stuff! :)

-Ben

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah, that would have helped. *duh*

I picked up a Xtant 4180c and a 2100b.

The 4180 will be running bridged two channel, putting 90 watts @8ohm to each rs180 mid/midbass, (it's rated at 45x4 or 180x2 at 4 ohm,) and the 2100b will be running 50 watts @4ohm to each rs28 tweet.

All of this is going into a '95 Accord 2-door. No sub or sub amp yet, (still trying to decide on which one,) and an Alpine 9853 active head-unit for time alignment/crossover duties, (for now, maybe the Behringer piece eventually if the power supply issue ever gets figured out.)

-Ben

·
Registered
575 Posts
just fyi,the xtant 4180c was tested by car stereo review in sept 96 and put out 62 wpch all ch driven less than 1 perc. thd.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet! Is that article available online anwhere? I've never had an xtant before, back when I was into Mobile Audio the first time I was a diehard PPI and Soundstream fan, (this was like 8-9 years ago, when both brands were still top-notch.)

-Ben

·
Registered
575 Posts
i wish it was online,i have many older car audio mags from 88-04,and csr used to print a sheet of all their tested gear with a few specs from the review-thats where the xtant was listed among many others,enjoy the xtant!!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
im using the xtant's right ow and love them , but im sure ill find something else soon.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, just received them today. I'll let you know how they work out once I have them hooked up, (I'll probably be temporarily hooking them up tonight just to make sure they power up.)

Next, I'm looking at the 2200ix to run mono to a sub, (If I only had the cash right now...)

-Ben

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
x series here though pre myx days still though, 2 x604's and a x1001.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
bfrance said:
300z,

Just realised that you are running the same front stage set-up that I'm going to have. Any recommendations for initial cross-over settings?

Thanks,

-Ben
Dayton RS tweeters and 7" mids? I'd say start around 1.6-2khz...
On my car i have the tweeters high passed at 1.5khz 12db/oct and the mids low passed at 2.2khz... works great for me... :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dodgerblue said:
i wish it was online,i have many older car audio mags from 88-04,and csr used to print a sheet of all their tested gear with a few specs from the review-thats where the xtant was listed among many others,enjoy the xtant!!
I know what you mean, I have like 4-5 years of Auto Sound and Security, Car Audio, and CSR, (from like '91-95 or '96.)

Is Car Stereo Review still published? The only mags I can find locally are Car Audio, and the Road and Track one.

-Ben

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm in class right now, but I'll post them as soon as I get home. Starting work on my temporary amp-board last night, but I haven't actually wired them up yet. (Darn the wife wanting to spend time together... j/k)

-Ben

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I'll be wiring up the amps tonight. Intially, I'll just be running the 4180 to my cheesy Alpine Type-S coaxes in the doors until I can get the 7's mounted, (impatience will probably take hold and I'll put them in the doors w/o deadening tomorrow,).

-Ben

·
Registered
524 Posts
300Z said:
Dayton RS tweeters and 7" mids? I'd say start around 1.6-2khz...
On my car i have the tweeters high passed at 1.5khz 12db/oct and the mids low passed at 2.2khz... works great for me... :)
Leo, So you have a bit of overlap in your Corrado? It seems that each driver is producing 1.5kHz-2.2kHz before their respective x-over points?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
They couldn't GIVE Xtants away on ebay before - I say one kind word now it seems everyone is out to get them, lol. I don't know if word-of-mouth got out on other forums or what, but man, people are buying the old ones up left and right now. I saw a 404M sell BIN for $190, that is outrageous! I was watching them not sell @$99 for months.

But anyways, almost the same setup I had too - Xtant amps, Dayton drivers. It's an amazing setup for the cost. Something like Tru's to a nice $300 component set probably wouldn't sound as good and cost triple. Enjoy! 8)

-aaron

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.