DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Would love some advice/assistance on complex new install

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  dgage 
#1 ·
Hiya guys! Boy do I miss forums like this one. I used to spend a tonne of time on forums back in the day and the people I met we're all wonderful people. Am looking forward to many enlightening discussions with you :)

I want to run by my install today with you and ask if anyone can see potential issues with it, and also have a couple of questions.

The CAR...
VW Passat Highline 3.6 2011

THE SPEAKER AMP
Rockford Fosgate p400x4

THE SUB AMP
Rockford Fosgate P400x1

THE HEAD UNIT
Factory RNS 510

THE SPEAKERS
Focal PS165F 2-way's front and rear

THE SUB
Rockford Fosgate P2-12inch

OK!

Here we go. I am using the stock head unit so I wired up from the speaker outs on the harness to RCA's taking care to note polarity between linking the Speaker wire to the RCA's.

I then ran the speaker cable BACK from the P400x4 to behind the head unit and jacked into the speaker outputs.

Because the p400x4 has no passthough, I daisy chained from the rear left and right, to left and right RCA's towards the p400x1 ie, sub. So therefore, off the speaker connections at the back, near the amp, it is going to the rear left and right, and the right and left on the sub amp.

I then tested the speakers and set the gain on the unit and amp.

At loud volumes, I got not distortion, but actual crackling (Loud) with the stock speakers (I haven't put the focal's in yet) However, according to the amp, there was no clipping on the input or output.

The SUB! It also does not work!

I wired the sub by linking the two positive terminals on the sub together, then going off one terminal back to the amp.

then done the same with the negative coils too.

Then plugged the + and - from the sub into the far right, and far left (+ and - ) of the P400x1

so yes! here we go! it's an unusual setup I know, but I was actually told this would work by an audio installer where I live.

ALSO!!! has anyone got any freeakin idea how to remove the door trim from the 2011 passat highline? Had a hard time with it today!

Thank guys in advance! Any advice, recommendations or help would be appreciated!

Clay

See less See more
#2 ·
Speaker level outputs is line level and aren't directly compatible with RCA inputs. You need a line output converter to make the conversion.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-EIerV09IXDn/g_721/Line-Out-Converters.html
Metra Two Channel Line Output Converter TC-LOC2 - Best Buy

You'll need 4 channels of LOC if you want to use front and rear controls on your head unit, which you'd send to your P4004. The P4004 seems to have preamp outputs (RCA) so you'd run an RCA from there to your sub amp. Or you could run the front LOC to the P4004 and the rear LOC to the P4001 to drive the sub amp.

Hope that helps.

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply!

The rca inputs on both the amps are actually low and high level (Speaker) level compatible. thus eliminating the need for an LOC... They are the Punch p400x1 and punch p400x4

Still having the same issue.???

I am just concerned because I don't want to put my focals into the vehicle without first having everything else right.

Thanks for you help

#8 ·
#5 ·
you don't mention whether you set crossovers on the amps, if you are running full range on the 4 channel, the stock speakers cant hang with the increased power plus low end. you need to set the amp to highpass and set the knob around 80 90 hz

#6 ·
Thank for your assistance guys! this is why I love forums so much. I am a professional musician for a living so I look forward to heading over to that part of diyma too :)

Thank again!

I will double check the crossovers shortly, however I was wondering, there are left and right passthrough like Alain93 mentioned on the P400x1. Can I go straight from the head unit to the inputs on the p400x1 then use low level rca's to the p400x4? This to me makes sense of what a Pass through does, but I just don't want to mess it up haha! I'll wire a home recording studio no worries, but when it comes to cars, I get frazzled haha!

How wouldd I go with wiring up the pass through if it would be appropriate? Split the RCA going into the 4 channel?

I'll go check out the crossovers now :)

Thanks so much again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.