DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would someone please help me spec out some new subwoofers for my Coustic BassPumps? Since OEM is no longer available, I would like to upgrade to the best subs that I can for these things.

Coustic DR-306 Subwoofers (supposedly designed by Rich Coe 1990 era) installed in a Coustic BassPump DR-326. I own 2 of these.

Sensitivity 1w/1m: 88db
Frequency Response -3db: 32hz-2000hz
XMax +/-: 4mm

Fs(Hz): 26.4
Vas: 26.3
Qts: 0.24
Qes: 0.27
Qem: 2.49
Sd (Sq CM): 125
Le (mH) 0.98
Re (ohms) 3.6

Input Impedance: 4 ohms

2nd Subwoofers Coustic DR-308 Subwoofers (supposedly designed by Rich Coe 1990 era) installed in a Coustic BassPump DR-328. I own 1 of these.

Sensitivity 1w/1m: 89db
Frequency Response -3db: 25hz-2000hz
XMax +/-: 4mm

Fs(Hz): 25
Vas: 57.5
Qts: 0.26
Qes: 0.28
Qem: 3.55
Sd (Sq CM): 220
Le (mH) 1.28
Re (ohms) 3.5

Input Impedance: 4 ohms

Manual for the Bass Pumps: Coustic DR-326 user manual - ManualsBase.com - Solve your problem

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
interesting. i remember seeing these somewhere back in the day, but never seen one.
im sure the woofers are a free air type. you should search out some that match the specs you list and get a pair and see if they work. is the surrounds rotted off? if the subs do work, you could try to re-cone them.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I take it as a no. Also would be more inclined to say it would be easier to copy the design, but based on new drivers than it would be to find ones with similar enough specs.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up buying Five BNIB DR-328 & one lightly used DR-328. As soon as I get a new car, I am going to try to shoehorn 4 of them into it.

But, I am still going to experiment one day with one of the DR-326 with different
New style drivers.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Looking for increased excursion comes with a high cost.... increased noise with the same sized vent. This is why I suggested if trying to use different drivers to redesign the enclosure with the new specs in mind. I'm sure the design could be duplicated with those changes though.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking for increased excursion comes with a high cost.... increased noise with the same sized vent. This is why I suggested if trying to use different drivers to redesign the enclosure with the new specs in mind. I'm sure the design could be duplicated with those changes though.
I would love to redesign the enclosure with newer style drivers but, that is beyond my skill level.

I would be willing to send one of my BNIB 6" & 8" BassPumps to a well known and trustworthy person that would test and return them, so that someone can design newer enclosures for the whole community.

But unless I can find spare replacement drivers or a new enclosure with new driver specs in mind, my BassPumps are not for sell.

Just a FYI, I have read that these Coustic subs are built to similar specs as the Infinity Beta and KEF's subs of the late 1990s.

I have also been told that Coustic got sued by Linear Power for patent infringement and that is why Coustic quit building these BassPumps.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Not too familiar with the beta or KEF subs. LP suit..... Meh.

What I can say is WInISD is pretty easy to fool around with when dealing with odd enclosures & tunings. With the measured airspace of the manifold, the diameter & length of the port, and driver specs, you could easily get real close to understanding the design considering the rear is infinite baffle. Now firing into the cabin is going to create an effect but that can be accommodated with a quick cabin gain file or simply add some sort of shelf to the bottom end seeing that the basspump isn't car specific though I'm sure the response will differ from vehicle to vehicle. From there you will be able to apply the same basics to other drivers or at least see if using such a design has it merits over others. With that, there's no need to send either driver or manifold off for testing unless the driver data is erroneous.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts