DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I have TB W6-1139SI 6.5'' subwoofers to be installed in my rear doors. After researching a bit, I thought about doing a ported enclosure, to get as much bass as I can from the little things. Since I need a port in a small enclosure, I thought about doing something like this to achieve the necessary port size:

The bottom part being a mazey port... Would it work?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
theoretically yes. but it might be just too many twists and turns physically for it to be efficient enough. any sizes for us? like how big the port and all and how long it needs to be? and how will you fit this in your rear doors??

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that drawing is just the idea, not the size. The width of the enclosure should be small enough to fit.

The numbers:

Enclosure size: 0.443cf
Port size: 1.5''X5''X32'' (rounded)
Fb: 36hz

So I thought about a 11X4X17'' enclosure, with 3 winding paths for the port about 11'' each. So it's a 11X4X17 enclosure with a 11X4X4.5'' port thingie.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Well, that drwaing is just the idea, not the size. The width of the enclosure should be small enough to fit.

The numbers:

Enclosure size: 0.443cf
Port size: 1.5''X5''X32'' (rounded)
Fb: 36hz
ya i realized that after i posted it haha. well all i can say is give it a shot and see if it works. i would imagine it would. theres always trial and error. ive seen people with pvc pipe rounding their sub box (ahem Chad) for their port so as long as the port stays the same Size all throughout the twists and turns it should work perfectly. but dont take my word for it because im no expert you can count on that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's a similar design to my HT sub except my port runs front > back > front > back on the same level at the bottom of the enclosure IYSWIM. I did some research and couldn't find any information saying that type of design (labyrinth port ?) wouldn't work so I built it and it sounds good.

It's maybe a good idea to add some material to round off the internal corners to smooth out the airflow. I used holofil beads and epoxy resin.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
It's maybe a good idea to add some material to round off the internal corners to smooth out the airflow. I used holofil beads and epoxy resin.
or you can use small qtr cuts of pvc pipe and smooth out the edges of those with a quick slab of either fiberglass resign (strength) or just some caulking. just another idea though

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
I'm an HVAC person , I was taught to figure every 90 deg. elbow equalled 10 feet of pipe running in a straight line :eek:

This was for purposes of flow rate of the medium inside [ air ].

Restriction of movement has it's effects ;), which affects what you are trying to accomplish:)

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
That's the one problem with that Tang Band sub. I needs crazy long ports, that's why I run it sealed in my Jeep. I tried to come up with some way to make the port fit in the small space I had to work with, but I couldn't. And if I modeled it ported with a port that would fit, it showed peaky response and high tuning.

I said screw it, and ran it sealed. I'd be curious to see if you can figure it out and how you do it.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Any small enclosure is gonna need a crazy long vent to tune low. Ever thought of a passive radiator?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Any small enclosure is gonna need a crazy long vent to tune low. Ever thought of a passive radiator?
The problem with the Tang Band is even in .4 ft3, which isn't all that small for a 6.5", it still needs a port so long that it would never begin to fit in the enclosure. You'd have to make the enclosure at least big enough for your average 8" before the port would fit, and at that point, you may as well use an 8".:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
how low does it play sealed?

I thought about PR but the enclosure is very small and needs to fit in a tight spot (inside a door)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have you looked at this link?

http://www.rjbaudio.com/Cerberus/cerberus.html

Using the same sub you are going to use, this guy got it to work with 1.5" aero port only 7.5" long. I wouldn't think that would be too terribly long for your application.

I've built one for a modest 2.1 home setup and it performs quite well. Granted it needs a subsonic filter to cut down the port noise a little with such a little port. The noise is hardly audible in home and only seems to appear on really low bass (below tuning for me in home) I'm sure you could make up for it with a subsonic filter to lower air speed and the plus of cabin gain in the car.

Seeing as you were originally planning on .443 cubic feet I don't think this is much off.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
how low does it play sealed?

I thought about PR but the enclosure is very small and needs to fit in a tight spot (inside a door)
It plays pretty low sealed, but it's not very efficient, not that that's a surprise or anything considering what it is.

Ported would definitely be the way to go if possible, I just couldn't make it work in the room I had to work with.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I can always give it a bit more power.

If that flared port works then that solves it completely, I can get a nice 1.75'' in there, fits easily.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.