DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

would you give up spare tire for install room?

• yes

Votes: 57 58.8%
  • no

Votes: 40 41.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have a kid, or make long trips that would give up spare tire?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes! I currently drive a hatchback with crazy small hatch space and I've been considering ditching the spare so I can make a sub enclosure in the spare tire well so I can retain my space and to achieve somewhat of a stealth install .

·
Registered
75 Posts
yes, but i do have the capability of calling on someone to bring me my spare in town, and always pack one anyways on trips. not an issue now that i have one mounted underneath the tahoe... and i have a kid.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You can get a can of special pucture filler and a small 12v pump. Thats what many expensive SUVs have!

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
One day I hit a pothole in the road and my tire went flat, wtf. I pulled over it was super hot middle of day 90+ and humid and sunny. Tires were pretty new, it actually blew the valve stem out of the wheel I could not believe it. I put the spare on was soaked when I got back in car, was late getting back to work it was 30 min lunch break. Since then I find a better way such as IB subs, I like the low bass and the empty trunk. I run them in hatches too just make a shelf. But sure I run boxes sometimes, just put a plug on them to take them out when needed. Never had a problem with those tires again or any others, they put a new stem in and tire was still good...but when it is that easy to get a flat I'd rather have some insurance. Now if you actually pack a spare when you go out of town/etc, that would be ok, I just know I would not remember to put it in lol. I also carry a can of fix o flat in most of my cars a compressor sometimes, but neither will work if it comes off the bead. I used to carry a plug kit when I worked in town and got punctures all the time.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I feel that getting rid of your spare is a calculated risk. Modern tires are much stronger than they were even 10 years ago. Many modern cars do not have spare tires any longer, i.e. new camaro. If you don't go off road I think you are safe just bringing a can of fix a flat. I have almost always utilized the space in the spare tire area to hide system components. In my Blazer I built a fake spare that mounted to the original rack to hold all of my components.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would say yes, and I have a kid.

I agree 100% with the 'tires are better then 10 years ago comment'. Back in the day (well before my time) tires would 'blow'. With modern radial tires with synthetic compounds they just dont.

If you are planning a long trip....you might even consider a roof rack and pop a doughnut up there if you dont have room in the trunk.....but truth is very few places you can go without being less then an hour from an AAA truck that can get you going.

My wife....I bet couldnt, wouldnt and shouldnt attempt to change her tire on her BMW X. But she sure as hell could call someone to help!
Truth is.....I am OK with that.

Again....I say loose the spare just make sure you have a AAA.

~JH

·
Registered
60 Posts
No way! I have a spare, plugs and a 12V air pump with me at all times.

If you have a service like AAA I guess it would be ok if you don't mind sitting on the side of the road and waiting. I'm way too impatient for that and don't trust anyone else working on my vehicles.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't mind losing tire for in town purposes. I have a girlfriend and father I can call. But on road trip i might be waiting an hour for nearest person to get to me. Not to mention them having to drive an hour

I have a roof rack but I've read tire up top is going to dominate gas mileage and on a 100+ mile trip that sucks...

If it matters I'll be running 32" all terrain tires so maybe no worries of a flat

·
Registered
696 Posts
Fix a flat and a small compressor, haven't used a spare in over 10 years

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Kept mine. And yes, a primary reason is that I have a kid and live 25 miles from civilization for the most part.

·
Registered
75 Posts
last time i needed my spare, was on a road trip, and it only had like 5psi left in it, lol. i hate fix-a-flat. makes a huge mess in your wheels, which you never really get rid of. what vehicle do you have?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've never ditched a spare in the past. I've never needed to toss a spare on while on the side of the road either though, but the peace of mind was nice.

On the flip side, I may end up purchasing a Buick Roadmaster as my next vehicle which has the spare in the ridiculously stupid location of in the trunk itself behind the rear seats.....in which case it'll be getting ditched for sure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a roof rack but I've read tire up top is going to dominate gas mileage and on a 100+ mile trip that sucks...

If it matters I'll be running 32" all terrain tires so maybe no worries of a flat
You're running 32" tires and worried about the gas mileage of a tire up top? :surprised:

My last 2 cars haven't had spares (smart and VUE Hybrid). No issues. Just check them before long trips and have CAA.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
No, not anymore. Wanting my trunk back and the spare back is what let me to get the JL HD amps that fit under the seats and the IB setup. I do too many 8+hr trips to not have a spare. In the 6+ years I've owned the car I've had tires almost go flat but never been stranded due to one. The second I take the spare out, I will have a flat. While it's not as important anymore with cell phones, I don't want to rely on anyone but myself. I want to be able to get out of any situation without help just in case. This is my trunk and the spare tire is in there:

And yes, the car is dirty, it rained for about 5 minutes and the rear is under the roof drain so it got all of the nice mud that's accumulated over the summer.

·
Registered
243 Posts
what are the major car breakdowns? you see cars on the side of the road.. but rarely do you see anyone changing tires anymore.. The only time I have had a flat in the last 30 years was because of nails on my driveway.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts