DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
I think those are a bit overpriced for what you get, seems to pan out as a nice sub but Im wondering if the "new motor" lost the copper windings in the rebuilding process because i believe that this sub was a TC9 design? Someone please correct me if im wrong. And I know they arent telling prices but i remember hearing something along the lines of $329-359 ouch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,325 Posts
What's special about it, exactly, besides the price tag? They look like yet no Faraday ring noise-maker priced idiotically. Note that they don't even bother to list inductance, perhaps because the marketers behind this firm don't know what it is. Oddly for a sub in that price class, they also omit xmax and Vd, from which one could calculate xmax oneself. Perhaps those omissions are simply because their product would not withstand comparison to much cheaper stuff like the Dayton Titanic line...

Then again, I must confess I view Stereo Integrity as clowns. They lost any interest I might have ever had in their firm with that absurd speaker listed under "home theater", which is a rip-off of a decade-old design cobbled together by Zalytron to move some old Peerless (India) stock. In addition to not understanding the role of inductance (either in and of itself or in terms of modulation) they seem to not have a single person on their staff who can hear above 6kHz, judging by the performance of that widely-spaced four tweeter line. And if they can't hear the effects of 4"+ c-t-c tweeter spacing in an array, what makes anyone think they can hear what makes a woofer sound good or not?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DS-21 said:
What's special about it, exactly, besides the price tag? They look like yet no Faraday ring noise-maker priced idiotically. Note that they don't even bother to list inductance, perhaps because the marketers behind this firm don't know what it is. Oddly for a sub in that price class, they also omit xmax and Vd, from which one could calculate xmax oneself. Perhaps those omissions are simply because their product would not withstand comparison to much cheaper stuff like the Dayton Titanic line...

Then again, I must confess I view Stereo Integrity as clowns. They lost any interest I might have ever had in their firm with that absurd speaker listed under "home theater", which is a rip-off of a decade-old design cobbled together by Zalytron to move some old Peerless (India) stock. In addition to not understanding the role of inductance (either in and of itself or in terms of modulation) they seem to not have a single person on their staff who can hear above 6kHz, judging by the performance of that widely-spaced four tweeter line. And if they can't hear the effects of 4"+ c-t-c tweeter spacing in an array, what makes anyone think they can hear what makes a woofer sound good or not?

Wow, tell us what you really think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,325 Posts
DS-21 said:
What's special about it, exactly, besides the price tag? They look like yet no Faraday ring noise-maker priced idiotically. Note that they don't even bother to list inductance, perhaps because the marketers behind this firm don't know what it is. Oddly for a sub in that price class, they also omit xmax and Vd, from which one could calculate xmax oneself. Perhaps those omissions are simply because their product would not withstand comparison to much cheaper stuff like the Dayton Titanic line...

Then again, I must confess I view Stereo Integrity as clowns. They lost any interest I might have ever had in their firm with that absurd speaker listed under "home theater", which is a rip-off of a decade-old design cobbled together by Zalytron to move some old Peerless (India) stock. In addition to not understanding the role of inductance (either in and of itself or in terms of modulation) they seem to not have a single person on their staff who can hear above 6kHz, judging by the performance of that widely-spaced four tweeter line. And if they can't hear the effects of 4"+ c-t-c tweeter spacing in an array, what makes anyone think they can hear what makes a woofer sound good or not?


Wow, and which competing company do you work for? That's harsh, dude.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,325 Posts
Infinity said:
Wow, and which competing company do you work for? That's harsh, dude.
I don't work in car audio, or audio at all. Not for a manufacturer, not for a shop, not for an installer, etc. Nor have I ever, unless you count getting a "sneak preview" of things from a few manufacturers - none since 1999 - and offering them my opinions. However, I have an abiding disgust for incompetence, and incompetence is demonstrated in spades by the design of that so-called line array.

I don't have any problem with expensive stuff, as long as there are compelling reasons for the higher price. In this woofer, Stereo Integrity does not offer a single reason to suspect that the spending the ~$350-$400 premium over a Peerless XLS, Dayton Titanic, or that very interesting looking (though to me it would be more interesting if they did 15" or larger versions...) Dayton Reference sub will be anything but flushing money down the drain.

By comparison, other premium-priced woofers (e.g. Adire Tumult/Brahma series, Aura, JBL W1xGTi series) do offer something that's clearly worth a premium, though to be honest I'd never use any of those superwoofers in a car. (I AM actively seeking either two W15GTi's or two Aura 1808/Seismic 8196's for my home audio system, which needs the long clean stroke more than a car does.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,148 Posts
DS-21 said:
(I AM actively seeking either two W15GTi's or two Aura 1808/Seismic 8196's for my home audio system, which needs the long clean stroke more than a car does.)
Check out the McCauley long stroke 18's also, BassMaxx uses the Aura and McCauley in the same cab and the McCauley is less expensive I think.

Alot of pro sound 18" drivers don't go that low because of their intended application. For a pummeling music-only system they are awesome. For HT I would still go with another variation that can tolerate sealed enclosures or have an extremely low Fs. As for pro sound amps.... Go for it! My whole house is powered with repaired pro amps that customers abandoned!

Chad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,325 Posts
Casedot said:
so, you think people shouldn't be harsh on a speaker that costs $500??

Sorry I'd been reading a CAF that day :rolleyes: and kept seeing #1SomeGuy's posts, and the fanboy/antifanboy stuff was getting to me. I saw DS21's post that way. After looking, he was simply being critical in an area which he should have been. That driver is NOT worth the premium. Most car drivers aren't. I don't see it doing anything that the Peerless XX cannot do, and with the Peerless, I wouldn't need $10,000 in amplifiers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Infinity said:
That driver is NOT worth the premium. Most car drivers aren't. I don't see it doing anything that the Peerless XX cannot do, and with the Peerless, I wouldn't need $10,000 in amplifiers.

so so true, and subs suffer from the worst markups.

I like how most people think they need the full RMS power of a speaker to get it "moving". Some subs need a crapload of power, but most SQ subs don't need much at all. Hell, i have 500watts going into an IDMAX and it can get much louder than i need it to for SQ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,325 Posts
REAL bad boy woofers

chad said:
Check out the McCauley long stroke 18's also, BassMaxx uses the Aura and McCauley in the same cab and the McCauley is less expensive I think.
McCauley has an 18 with double-digit Xmax? Interesting! Do you have a model number I can go by? Their website is decidedly Safari-unfriendly. I've never seen a McCauley driver in person. I know their reputation (which is excellent) but also that they're definitely premium priced. Then again, used Aura 1808's/North Creek Leviathans/Seismic 8196's (all the same driver, with differing cone mass) that aren't shot to hell are rare, as are used JBL W15GTi (aka 2256G or Vertec sub driver). That's another reason I'm also looking at the JBL 2245H. (18", 9.7mm xmax, 1.4mH Le, ~1.4L Vd). Another upside of the 2245H is that I could buy a thrashed one and get it reconed it to a higher Mms for less than what 1.4L of low-inductance displacement would cost me most anywhere else...

chad said:
Alot of pro sound 18" drivers don't go that low because of their intended application. For a pummeling music-only system they are awesome. For HT I would still go with another variation that can tolerate sealed enclosures or have an extremely low Fs.
I don't really do HT. I recently spent a bunch of money on HT gear (30" LCD, HDTV cable box with DVR, 4 surrounds) only to discover that HDTV doesn't even improve my enjoyment of the Redskins pummeling the cowboys on Monday Night, to say anything of my usual TV news-watching. So even though it's technically a 7.2-7.4 channel system its use is really more like 95% music/5% football & HT.

I'm not too worried about LF extension: give me the volume displacement and I'll use EQ to get whatever curve I want, within the thermal limits of the drivers. I would love to have the chops to design something like Tom Danley's new monster, but I don't so it'll be a conventional Bessel sealed or EBS-type vented.

That said, the JBL W15GTi/2256G looks especially attractive for me because in a Qtc=0.577 sealed enclosure I'll get an F3 in the high 30s, right at the onset of room gain in this room. (The very trait that makes them boomy and generally awful in a car setting makes them perfect for my living room! Also, their depth is insane for a car, but in a home system who cares?) I then wouldn't need do to an LT, and could use whatever EQ I end up with (probably a Behringer Feedback Destroyer) solely to fight room modes. What's not attractive about them is that even used they're still $500/pr and up woofers.

chad said:
As for pro sound amps.... Go for it! My whole house is powered with repaired pro amps that customers abandoned!
As it happens, I was leaning strongly towards pro amps but I've decided to live with a little bit less power. I found a pair of NHT A1 monoblocs on Audiogon for a good price. (I'm all-but-certain that the new Outlaw monobloc is the exact same amp.) Though they're less powerful than most top pro amps (200W/8 ohms, 300W/4 ohms each) they have some features that will be useful to me, such as non-garish styling. slim (1.75") profile, and a remote turn-on trigger. That amount of power does limit what I can do in terms of LT's, though. I bought them but I don't have them yet. Hopefully UPS will do their job well, and by the middle of next week I'll be able to retire my old inefficient Adcom workhorse for these.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top