DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of a strange request but does anyone have any leftover scrap pieces of black vinyl they won't be needing? I'm looking to play around with some tweeter mounts and potentially emulate Mr @DavidRam on his GB10 pods (thanks for the inspiration!) and seems kind of wasteful to order a full yard, especially when I'm not sure if it'll work for what I'm wanting.

I can't imagine needing much, and the pieces wouldn't have to be large at all and would be happy to pay for postage and your time. Stretchier the better for this newb, what do you got?!

Pic for attention, wonderful work David:

·
Premium Member
678 Posts

·
Registered
2015 S60 T6
323 Posts
I had a hard time wrapping it around the inside corners of the trunk baffle I used it on. I didn't heat it up though which I gather is helpful.

I used spray contact cement on the face and Staples on the underside. It ripped at some of the Staples, but has held up on the front.

And it looks great.

·
Registered
19,478 Posts
I asked Skizer what he uses but no response
When was that? Didn't see it. We use a ton if different vinyls.. whatever matches the car were working on. We have samples of probably a thousand or more vinyls at the shop, but I have found one that matches 95% of cars that come in. I'll go through my emails when I get home and find out what it is. Its from Miami Corp. There was one that was an even better match from the Detroit book but it turns out its not solvent based adhesive compatible, so the one I use mostly now was the closest match to that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,478 Posts
Just a heads up, 2 black vinyls could look totally different from one another. What kind of car is it? I have a ton I could send

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
When was that? Didn't see it. We use a ton if different vinyls.. whatever matches the car were working on. We have samples of probably a thousand or more vinyls at the shop, but I have found one that matches 95% of cars that come in. I'll go through my emails when I get home and find out what it is. Its from Miami Corp. There was one that was an even better match from the Detroit book but it turns out its not solvent based adhesive compatible, so the one I use mostly now was the closest match to that.

Thank you sir. It was on a different thread and I posted that question to you on it. Couple days back

·
Registered
19,478 Posts
Thank you sir. It was on a different thread and I posted that question to you on it. Couple days back
Tbh I don't keep up with this place much anymore

·
Registered
19,478 Posts
Here it is, this has matched nearly perfectly with every American and Japanese car that has come through Apicella Auto Sound. Hasn't really matched European cars. Not cheap, but as usual you get what you pay for. There is 100% a "quality" to vinyls that is visible and noticeable

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a heads up, 2 black vinyls could look totally different from one another. What kind of car is it? I have a ton I could send

It's for a 2017 Silverado, but I'm not too picky. Really this is more for learning/experience.

Cliff has me hooked up for now (thank you!) and if I get it figured out halfway nice I may hit you up for some color advice, much appreciated Nick! Hell if I would've been thinking you could've thrown some in with my Resonix order that shipped yesterday! :D

·
Premium Member
4,038 Posts
I normally use Whisper vinyl. Runs about $15/yd.
Has good soft leather like quality. Matches well w BMW and others

·
Registered
19,478 Posts
It's for a 2017 Silverado, but I'm not too picky. Really this is more for learning/experience.

Cliff has me hooked up for now (thank you!) and if I get it figured out halfway nice I may hit you up for some color advice, much appreciated Nick! Hell if I would've been thinking you could've thrown some in with my Resonix order that shipped yesterday! :D
I don't even want to be reminded of those orders. FedEx nightmare. The past 3 weeks has been such a hassle with them that I literally hired someone to do all shipping for resonix now. Just too stressful for me while doing the shop as well.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Here it is, this has matched nearly perfectly with every American and Japanese car that has come through Apicella Auto Sound. Hasn't really matched European cars. Not cheap, but as usual you get what you pay for. There is 100% a "quality" to vinyls that is visible and noticeable

thanks Skizer i'm looking for some charcoal grey..... on there now... are you using 4-way stretch?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't even want to be reminded of those orders. FedEx nightmare. The past 3 weeks has been such a hassle with them that I literally hired someone to do all shipping for resonix now. Just too stressful for me while doing the shop as well.

Yea, FedEx has made it kind of difficult for us getting product shipped out as well.

All good tho, at least now you can focus on the fun stuff!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts