DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a nice handheld oscilloscope to help me set my gains. Not picky about brand or condition, as long as it's perfectly functional and not some Harbor Freight POS.

My backup plan is to buy the Velleman scope at PE for $195 so I guess that's my budget. Give me your price shipped to 85207.

** DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE OR THREAD WILL BE DELETED **
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please be advised, all buyers and sellers are responsible for performing their own due diligence when considering any financial engagement. We recomend that you:

1) Check the iTrader feedback of the person you are dealing with on this site, as well as other car audio forums.
2) Ask for a name address and phone number. Call them and verify their info.
3) Valid e-mail address. Correspond before committing.
4) consider using an escrow service to protect yourself.

DO NOT proceed with a deal until you are completely satisfied with the other party.

DIYMobileAudio & Collova Media Inc. is not responsible for the outcome of any transaction on this site and will not moderate on your behalf.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
If you can swing a little more, the TPI 440 is nice.. I have one that I use often. It also is a DVM that will data log, etc...

·
Keepin' It Old School
1,028 Posts
PE is high on their Velleman...try:

http://www.kitsusa.net/phpstore/html/Oscilloscopes-73-1.html

I got my Velleman HPS50 from there, a while back it was on sale for $199. Been happy w/ the HPS50. I use it for testing amp output power along w/ resistor loads. I recently added the SMD DD-1, which detects distortion at 1% (I use it for testing RMS wattage output, in addition to setting gains...nice tool for the price). I've been looking for a THD analyzer, but those are $1000's, the DD-1 is a great alternative.

I put a vid on YT a while back showing how I test RMS wattage output:

·
Keepin' It Old School
1,028 Posts
Also, the Velleman HPS50 has a built-in True RMS Volt meter, audio calculations and auto adjustment. I think the HPS10 and HPS40 also have these features, but double check to verify. The HPS50 has a built-in rechargeable battery and USB output for monitoring via PC. I was hoping the USB monitoring on the PC would be useful, but it only shows the waveform, none of the measurements are shown.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
look on craigslist. i found my Fluke 123 on there for $180 :)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more bump on this. I like the TPI units mentioned and may go that route.

One more question... has anyone used one of these Steve Meade Distortion Detectors?

Steve Meade Designs and D’Amore Engineering Launch the DD-1 Distortion Detector! | 12 Volt News
SMD Distortion Detector DD-1 - New Products

I know Steve Meade is a polarizing figure and this item probably appears to be a gimmick to some, but I'm looking for honest opinions on whether it really works as advertised. I have no other use for an o-scope other than to set gains so if this device really works then it meets my needs.

Weigh in if you have an opinion, but please no ******** stirring.

·
Keepin' It Old School
1,028 Posts
I mentioned the DD-1 above. On the surface, it appears to be a very basic tool, but monitoring the output using my Velleman HPS50, I've found the DD-1 invaluable. No BS here, the developer of the tool, Tony D'Amore also helped develop the infamous Rockford T15k amp. I've found the DD-1's 1% distortion detection difficult to detect on my o'scope (the display on the o'scope has a relatively low resolution). If you are going to only set gains, the DD-1 is a no-brainer (IMHO). I find it invaluable also, but use it in tandem with my o'scope, so I need both...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Well I gotta stir.... I have a velleman 55. Look it up and see if it would meet your needs. If so, pm me and you can borrow it for a while. :)
D

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I mentioned the DD-1 above. On the surface, it appears to be a very basic tool, but monitoring the output using my Velleman HPS50, I've found the DD-1 invaluable. No BS here, the developer of the tool, Tony D'Amore also helped develop the infamous Rockford T15k amp. I've found the DD-1's 1% distortion detection difficult to detect on my o'scope (the display on the o'scope has a relatively low resolution). If you are going to only set gains, the DD-1 is a no-brainer (IMHO). I find it invaluable also, but use it in tandem with my o'scope, so I need both...
Yup you did. Reading comprehension > me

Actually I saw your link for the scope and clicked on that instead of reading the rest. Thanks, I might go with the DD-1.

·
jtaudioacc
1,952 Posts
One more bump on this. I like the TPI units mentioned and may go that route.

One more question... has anyone used one of these Steve Meade Distortion Detectors?

Steve Meade Designs and D’Amore Engineering Launch the DD-1 Distortion Detector! | 12 Volt News
SMD Distortion Detector DD-1 - New Products

I know Steve Meade is a polarizing figure and this item probably appears to be a gimmick to some, but I'm looking for honest opinions on whether it really works as advertised. I have no other use for an o-scope other than to set gains so if this device really works then it meets my needs.

Weigh in if you have an opinion, but please no ******** stirring.

I have a DD-1, it works perfect for what it does. LED, lights up exactly as my Fluke 123 begins to get wavy. It's nice that it has the RCA input, too. I'm not sure how important it is, but it would have been nice had he included a few more tones than just 40 and 1k.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, I'm gonna go ahead and order the DD-1. Besides, there's a UL508 panel shop at my company and I found out today that a couple of the electrician's have o-scopes that I could borrow if needed.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I have a DD-1, it works perfect for what it does. LED, lights up exactly as my Fluke 123 begins to get wavy. It's nice that it has the RCA input, too. I'm not sure how important it is, but it would have been nice had he included a few more tones than just 40 and 1k.
Fluke 123?? Big Pimpin :)

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
A steal? More like rape, did you thank the seller after butt fu**ing him? I sure wish i saw a fluke 123 for less than 250.00 in my area.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
As a starting point, I set my gains with a 400w resistor bank and seeed DSO Nano v2 ($89). The DSO Nano v2 is a nice little unit. I do not see the need for an expensive oscope. I have found that I also adjust my gains down from there to lower the noise floor and when level matching.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts