·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Huckleberry, would you consider this GTI15 JBL sub the equivalent of the Frog GB12 sub, but just in 15" variation? I think I'm gonna go back to having me another Frog sub, because I loved the two I have had on separate occasions last year, but I was wondering if maybe trying out this GTI 15" would satisfy me more. Especially since I plan on running AD Vipera F8's for MB duty upfront.

Do you have any experience with the Frog GB subs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have never heard the frog subs personally. Those that have them, love them. One of the great things about the audiofrogs is the sensitivity of them, which translate in to less power achieving and amazing amount of output. These subs are some classic old school subs that sonically sound amazing. I still remember the first time I heard them, o how I look forward to hearing it again.

IF you look at the line of JBL Gti subs or speakers. NONE of them suck. Search for yourself. Those that have JBL Gti speakers, love them for there accuracy and the ability to get loud and nasty and stay in control. Any speaker and sound nice at a decent level. You really want to see what your speaker is all about,*put some volume behind it and see if it keeps that control, or loose it. JBL Gti speakers and subs are knowing for keeping it in control. Rather they are in the SPL lanes or the SQ lanes.

IF you want to try these subs, there is an additional set that I have access to. IF you are interested let me know. Now if you want a sub that will outperform this subs is the sub that replaced it. The JBL w15 Gti. I had my mind set on getting the JBL w12 GTI, and strapping 4000 watts to it, just for when I want to let the knob go up. There are two reason I am not going with it. One, that w12 and w15 Gti, weights 45 pounds per sub. So for 45 pounds, I can get this classic 1500 Old school Gti subwoofer. So for the place of one sub, I am doubling the surface area and the subwoofer is only 20 pounds each, and less than 8-10" mounting depth. Two, I am placing that subwoofer in a smaller truck. The depth of the truck will be taking over by the sub. So that is it. Go and read the reviews of the JBL w15 Gti. And if you are very very serious about it. I know someone who has one for sale for an amazing price. BUT you can find one on here just poke around. IF you are strapped for space, there is someone who is selling the 10 and 12 Gti.

When you line the subs up to do battle with the JBL Gti, there component set, 660 and 670 Gti and subwoofers, will always be in the running. When you do your research on how they design speakers, from the bottom to the top, there testing labs/facility is state of the art. The way they create speakers is different than most. They dont release anything unless its ready. When they stamp GTi On it, its ready.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Also, to me the guys at Audiofrog are one of a kind. They are all legends in there own right. That cant be taking from them. They have produced some speakers that people are going after. I have spoke to people directly who related there very very high dollar system with it, and they have never looked back.

So at the end of the day, the choice is yours.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks for the replies Huckleberry. As always, full of wisdom and solid advice. I may try out the W15GTI someday... not right now, but soon!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
got two 1500 Gti and two 800 Gti - no way I will let them go. Also got 2 2226 and two W15. W15 have much more output under 35 Hz compared to 2226 and 1500 Gti, but they all sounds super clean. Im playing with GTI and only GTI from its first release in 1995/96 and Im not even think about change them with anything else. They also have the exact same overall dia between different series and fastening holes on all drivers have the same spacing and dia....so it is really easy to swap them between each other...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Also, to me the guys at Audiofrog are one of a kind. They are all legends in there own right. That cant be taking from them. They have produced some speakers that people are going after. I have spoke to people directly who related there very very high dollar system with it, and they have never looked back.

So at the end of the day, the choice is yours.

Can the Frogs run IB since the same guy designed the GTI subs which can?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I've always wondered about the sub-40Hz output of the old school GTi subs. Is it a steep roll off in frequency response or fairly smooth?
I love all things old school as they relate to car audio and remember these being at the top of the food chain back in the day. Having never heard them personally I was always skeptical of their deep bass ability simply because they looked more akin to a pro sound reinforcement type driver. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just don't know how well it translates to the car audio environment.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Can the Frogs run IB since the same guy designed the GTI subs which can?

Well, I would guess yes. Especially considering Andy has a pair of 10" GB subs in his Mercedes that has that 24 channel amp and his DSP and UpMixer in, right? He has the subs in the rear deck... doubt he has enclosures underneath them. At least I didn't read anything about that... it's all IB. I think those subs will sound good in any set up. I ran the two I had sealed, I have a friend who is running one ported and it's a beast... if Andy has them IB then obviously they do excellent there too. What more can you ask for?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've always wondered about the sub-40Hz output of the old school GTi subs. Is it a steep roll off in frequency response or fairly smooth?
I love all things old school as they relate to car audio and remember these being at the top of the food chain back in the day. Having never heard them personally I was always skeptical of their deep bass ability simply because they looked more akin to a pro sound reinforcement type driver. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just don't know how well it translates to the car audio environment.
I have exactly the same question..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
No-one ever talks about the other AF series. Are they any good?

I'd I can find those 4s I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Well, I would guess yes. Especially considering Andy has a pair of 10" GB subs in his Mercedes that has that 24 channel amp and his DSP and UpMixer in, right? He has the subs in the rear deck... doubt he has enclosures underneath them. At least I didn't read anything about that... it's all IB. I think those subs will sound good in any set up. I ran the two I had sealed, I have a friend who is running one ported and it's a beast... if Andy has them IB then obviously they do excellent there too. What more can you ask for?

Well it's an interesting option... I have the JBL W12 GTi subs which has a big magnet - it would be nice if a smaller frame can work as well

I had the JBL in a sealed enclosure and it was awesome... I sold it and now I purchased another 2 for a IB build in a 5 series Bmw

I am all about space saving and I don't want a big box in my car if I can help it

·
Registered
127 Posts
No-one ever talks about the other AF series. Are they any good?

I'd I can find those 4s I'll let you know.

The Frog GS stuff is great too. I'm telling you, you can't go wrong with Frog if you want a solid sounding system.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.