DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Not sure I can talk Mario ( @quickaudi07 ) out of his. Just feeling things out for a possible change.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You guys are to damn cute.
These are the best drivers for midbass duty ever. I don't care what anyone says. Once you put them in, there is no going back.
I have spend at least 3k just on swapping midbass drivers.
Don't be fooled, if you have these drivers in your possession, and will not use it, and selling for reasonable price. I would be more than happy to take them of your hands.

Now days drivers that are made cost triple the amount, they may look so nice and with all this great tooling, but can't you beat the performance of ZR800? I have high thought about and actually could put my paycheck on it with in $300 per driver to compare...

What comes close is ScanSpeak, but it would be a waist of money since these 7" drivers do such a wonderful job in 2 way system.

On that note... Jl ZR800 for the win.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,272 Posts
While they are good, there are other good options out there. If you don't want to spend with your left nut, look into the Illusion Carbon 8's, or BLAM Signature 8's.

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Probably take a buddy looking out for you to find a pair of these! How many watts would you want to run on any of the aforementioned midbass drivers?

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Probably take a buddy looking out for you to find a pair of these! How many watts would you want to run on any of the aforementioned midbass drivers?
Using an AS 200.2 for mid bass duty. Putting them in kicks. You still have your Jeep?

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While they are good, there are other good options out there. If you don't want to spend with your left nut, look into the Illusion Carbon 8's, or BLAM Signature 8's.
Haven’t listened to either of these..doing a little research on both now. Have a buddy that’s trying to sell me a set of AD sw800 but he didnt have them hooked up for demo so on the fence on those until I can hear them.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Morel MW9, Focal 8WM, Dynaudio MW172, Brax ML8

I would likely choose the Dynaudio or Brax myself..

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hybrid Audio L8SE-Dustcap how would these stack up against the ZR800’s.
I’m currently running the phase plug version. I like them just wanting a change and a little more kick. I have no real life experience with comparison but everyone that ive talked to that run zr800s say there is no comparison

Reactions: Brian_323

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I would go with audio development W800neo instead

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Focal 8wm has a QTS of 0.9 and 5.5mm of xmax.... not saying it will have as much low end punch as the zr800 but i believe it has excellent specs for an IB door install.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
My guy Shannon had ZR800 in Tru IB.. i was blown away, playing under 20hz.. i heard them that way and i said beautiful subs :)

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Focal 8wm has a QTS of 0.9 and 5.5mm of xmax.... not saying it will have as much low end punch as the zr800 but i believe it has excellent specs for an IB door install.
I’m running IB kicks that vent into the unibody

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I’m running IB kicks that vent into the unibody
Even better. Hybrids are high sensitivity drivers with not so much excursion.. thats just how they are.. nothing wrong, its just a different type of design. Usually very low distortion, but they have less excursion.. you must have a good sub well blended with your front stage.. speaker design is always a tradeoff you will never find a 95db midbass with 10mm of linear excursion.. it just does not exist..

With that said, all you might need is a 8" with a little bit more throw and i bet you can get the midbass up quite a bit in comparison to the hybrids..

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Even better. Hybrids are high sensitivity drivers with not so much excursion.. thats just how they are.. nothing wrong, its just a different type of design. Usually very low distortion, but they have less excursion.. you must have a good sub well blended with your front stage.. speaker design is always a tradeoff you will never find a 95db midbass with 10mm of linear excursion.. it just does not exist..

With that said, all you might need is a 8" with a little bit more throw and i bet you can get the midbass up quite a bit in comparison to the hybrids..
What do you think about the audio development sw800?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
What do you think about the audio development sw800?
Have you seen Erins review? I've only owned the W600 but they are good drivers...

I think that SW one might be better for a subwoofer than midbass...

If you can fit it get the regular non neo W800, its a friggin beast! and its an actual midbass, the SW is more of subwoofer i wouldnt personally use it for midbass i know people do but i feel like it would get a little muddy.. The W800neo tested well in Erin's klippel testing but it has compromises to save space.. i would choose the original ferrite version instead if you can fit it

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
So here is my input on Hybrid drivers especially SE. Why because i own them and had the chance to experience them, i also heard non SE Hybrid which are much better.

Here is my input quote me or hate i don't care...
SE series drivers
From Hybrid is great as dedicated midrange driver not a midbass! They look sexy as hell but they won't give you that midbass that you might be looking for.
Regular 8" driver from hybrid are much better with regular megnet which get louder and play lower.. i heard them in my friend car in Tru IB.. perform much better than SE. And again that's just me.

I had Audio Development W800neo, they are great drivers, they could play lower and deeper than illusion for sure but with higher volume or proper high power i felt they have a brake in point but don't all driver do?

Out of all these crazy drivers i decided to try Oncore C69 holy **** batman! I really understood what midbass is! It got to a point i didn't need a sub!
It played from 40hz to 300hz no problem they were very dynamic, fast, accurate and they were crap load of fun..
But i was never happy with anything, i was one of the people that wanted to try everything and anything..

After i had fun with these guys, i ran 9" morel in my doors yes i got them to fit!
Morels are nice, very detail, very dynamic, snappy, to a point, and play deep low, but there is a problem, you put 100 w rms on them and they will sound like ****!
You put 300+ with proper amp and you are golden! So proper power for morel is a key to success!

From morel i went in to JL ZR800
What does JL ZR800 do or compare too? They are oncore C69+Morel 9" putting both of them together in to one driver.

Hance Morel can play higher, so is Oncore, but I'm using JL as a midbass duty!
This driver plays from 60ish to [email protected]
I don't need midbass to play higher, midbass should do a job of these frequencies, if i wanted a midrange driver than i would chose something else.

Even though I have big 18" sub in IB, i truly feel i don't need such a big sub and power for my system since these ZR800 are damn insane!

They are truly mind blowing, to bad JL stoped production, these drivers are absolutely amazing for midbass duty! 3 way application.

I'm not here to support anyone I'm here to give my opinion and what i have experienced through out these years.
Been here for quiet some time, i learned and understood, i know and seen eye candy systems and heard, but JL, are truly one of the best drivers out there if you could find them of curse.

Are there other drivers that could come close or be better?? Sure, absolutely, but at what cost ?

On that note, hope this was helpful to some degree...

1 - 20 of 92 Posts