DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
I wouldn't let one bad report of a failed amp swerve your decision. Electronics can be subject to all kinds of weird situations and even the best made products can have one or two of the products fail. I am using my z150.6lx and a z-2kd with no issues. The z150.6lx has great power and I love the way it sounds. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I have a brand new Z150.6LX, that I might consider selling...

I bought two of them, thinking that one day I might do a 12 channel (plus sub) monster system... I'm basically just waiting for DSP's to catch-up with my idea.

As it sits, I'm using one of them in my vehicle right now (and it's an absolutely amazing amplifier). The second one has been sitting, brand new in its box, in my basement, for the past year and a bit. I only took it out once, when i first got it, to power it up and make sure it worked. Since then... it's just sat down there.

I may consider selling it. Still thinking I'm going to buold that monster system... but the likelyhood of it ever happening is pretty remote.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have a brand new Z150.6LX, that I might consider selling...

I bought two of them, thinking that one day I might do a 12 channel (plus sub) monster system... I'm basically just waiting for DSP's to catch-up with my idea.

As it sits, I'm using one of them in my vehicle right now (and it's an absolutely amazing amplifier). The second one has been sitting, brand new in its box, in my basement, for the past year and a bit. I only took it out once, when i first got it, to power it up and make sure it worked. Since then... it's just sat down there.

I may consider selling it. Still thinking I'm going to buold that monster system... but the likelyhood of it ever happening is pretty remote.

Bit One HD has 13 channels.
Mosconi 8to12 Aerospace has 12

So they've already caught up. Waiting on you lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Using a Z150.6 (non-LX) and Zx6.5kd in my current install - love them. Of course, getting Zapco to respond to a service request on my DC amps has been... less than successful, shall we say?

<edit> Update - just checked my junk mail and they replied to yesterday's request for repair - to say they cannot help me. Referred me to TIPS or to Roman. Have to think about that one...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Bit One HD has 13 channels.
Mosconi 8to12 Aerospace has 12

So they've already caught up. Waiting on you lol

Maybe I should have been more specific... I'm waiting on Audiofrog to release their new DSP.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Maybe I should have been more specific... I'm waiting on Audiofrog to release their new DSP.

U sure Audiofrog's DSP is gonna have 12 channels? I can tell you the prototype one that's being tested by a few installers right now....doesn't

·
Registered
728 Posts
I wouldn't let one bad report of a failed amp swerve your decision. Electronics can be subject to all kinds of weird situations and even the best made products can have one or two of the products fail. I am using my z150.6lx and a z-2kd with no issues. The z150.6lx has great power and I love the way it sounds. Just my 2 cents.
Not a failed amp... What is your serial number? Do you have the Plastic or metal gain knobs? You keep thinking this is a small problem...

·
Registered
526 Posts
Not a failed amp... What is your serial number? Do you have the Plastic or metal gain knobs? You keep thinking this is a small problem...
I am a little curious why you are not letting us know what is going on. You tell us you have issues with your amp, but you don't elaborate. Why the secrecy?

I did not know the Z-LX series had two different type of gain knobs. Does it make a difference?

·
Registered
728 Posts
I am a little curious why you are not letting us know what is going on. You tell us you have issues with your amp, but you don't elaborate. Why the secrecy?

I did not know the Z-LX series had two different type of gain knobs. Does it make a difference?
When I get more details I will let you know. I just know the issue follows metal gain knobs and higher serial numbered 150.6LX. I have not seen any other models affected but I have asked anyone with 150.6LX amps to send me gut shots so I can try to narrow down when the issue started.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I owned 2 zapco 150.4LE's and a 150.6LX. Awesome amps no issues with the 150.4LE's,and the 150.6lx was working fine when I had it. For some reason the person I sold the 150.6 had a problem with it. Sent it back to Atrend for repairs and all is good now...

·
Registered
728 Posts
I owned 2 zapco 150.4LE's and a 150.6LX. Awesome amps no issues with the 150.4LE's,and the 150.6lx was working fine when I had it. For some reason the person I sold the 150.6 had a problem with it. Sent it back to Atrend for repairs and all is good now...
Wish mine was just an issue of function. It probably functions fine. I would not even bother to hook it up.

·
Registered
526 Posts
When I get more details I will let you know. I just know the issue follows metal gain knobs and higher serial numbered 150.6LX. I have not seen any other models affected but I have asked anyone with 150.6LX amps to send me gut shots so I can try to narrow down when the issue started.
What is considered a higher serial number? My dealer said he can get me a Z150.6 LX at a very good price, but now you have me concerned about purchasing one. If I do decide to purchase one, what exactly do I look for?

·
Registered
728 Posts
What is considered a higher serial number? My dealer said he can get me a Z150.6 LX at a very good price, but now you have me concerned about purchasing one. If I do decide to purchase one, what exactly do I look for?
I hope to have an answer for you today. What you are asking is the million dollar question..

·
Registered
428 Posts
Got-Four-Eights, I never said what you experienced was a small or large problem. I am just stating that not everyone will experience what you are experiencing from purchasing the amp as you have. As far as my amp goes, it appears that it has the metal gain knobs. Now you have me curious as to why you asked that question about the gain controls.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Got-Four-Eights, I never said what you experienced was a small or large problem. I am just stating that not everyone will experience what you are experiencing from purchasing the amp as you have. As far as my amp goes, it appears that it has the metal gain knobs. Now you have me curious as to why you asked that question about the gain controls.
It's probably the same as mine.. Does not have the caps in it they claim to have. Looks like some cheap cap that no one has info on. Zapco is saying they made changes because this sounds better and was going in the new LX amps. I will bite my tongue on what I think. All I know is I paid for certain caps in my amps and now they just modified the website so it doesn't show them now.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
It's probably the same as mine.. Does not have the caps in it they claim to have. Looks like some cheap cap that no one has info on. Zapco is saying they made changes because this sounds better and was going in the new LX amps. I will bite my tongue on what I think. All I know is I paid for certain caps in my amps and now they just modified the website so it doesn't show them now.

Sounds shady Af. I am no longer looking for a Zapco amp smh

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well that certainly would not be a good move on their parts...that's for sure. If a product is altered, then it should be conveyed to the buyer as they are the basis for them to be in business. If you expect a product to be made as they stated then suddenly it changes without acknowledgement or telling the public, then that is straight up wrong. Now you have me seriously wondering about this as well.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Well that certainly would not be a good move on their parts...that's for sure. If a product is altered, then it should be conveyed to the buyer as they are the basis for them to be in business. If you expect a product to be made as they stated then suddenly it changes without acknowledgement or telling the public, then that is straight up wrong. Now you have me seriously wondering about this as well.
I waited to talk about it because I wanted to see if this was a just a mistake and maybe I was the only one effected. I was not the only one as I had hoped. Others have come forward who are very unhappy as well. I had this whole week off to do this installation... not cool. You can draw your own conclusions about the reply below. There has been no update on what caps these are. I know now ALL caps in there are this brand and my board looked like a 5 year old put it together. Every cap was leaning in a different direction and I had a flipped inductor which doesn't effect sound but makes build quality look bad. They removed the info from the site talking about the good caps they had been using but I have a screen shot and they still left the facebook page open.

THIS IS WHY I BOUGHT ZAPCO...

"The LX is an amp like no other! Only the best internal parts are used. Open most amplifiers... even “high-end” amplifiers, and you will find standard grade capacitors and ICs. Open an LX amp and you’ll find Elna Silmic ll RFS caps and Nichicon KZ caps, designed specifically for high end home audio use. The Op-amps in the LX amplifiers are all Analog Devices OP275. You’ll also find matched pairs of Sanken output devices. Where else will you find these parts and a car amp? You won’t! We tightly regulated the power supply, and the pre-amp section, and we put ceramic and mica bypass caps everywhere on these amps, so you’ll never have to worry about voltage fluctuations muddying up the sound of a Zapco Z-Series LX amp."

Funny.. that's not what I found at all when I opened mine up. And with Matt Hall's review of them you are telling me they felt the need to change this amp? On what planet does that make sense? How about the guys who got two of these only to find out one is built different? They claim oh they pushed forward with a change that was supposed to happen with a new LX line.. uhh what company would do that? There should have been a V2 on this.

Here is the reply to what I found in my amp......

John Borges First: I HATE SURPRISES. I was highly tweaked to discover yesterday that a change was made that I wasn't expecting until the new version of the LX came out. But don't panic! Listen to the amps!
I committed when we first brought out the new Z series in 2012 to continue searching new ways to make every run sound better than the last.

I spent 3 months over there with the Italians last year working on the new DSP and the next version of the LX amplifiers. We did a lot of testing on caps, op-amps, and other things to see how they affected SQ and noise. When I left we had pretty much settled on some new caps, replacing the OP275s with a new TI op-amp, as well as some changes that I can't share at this time.

Since then I've been consumed on the new DSP and wasn't aware that they decided to make a change in the current LX. But that change is consistent with the commitment we made in 2012. A new run of amps and an opportunity available to make improvements and they did it.

I will get you more info on the Caps and other items shortly. But we will continue to make changes as we find new ways to put better sound quality and reliability into our products.

I sincerely apologize for the lack of communication. Our marketing and communication have never been very good and it is certainly past time to correct that.

But again: Listen to the amps!

Thank you,
John

21 - 40 of 119 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.