DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some panels from factory OEM speaker system that have housings that came with 8inchers....they were from factory sealed but have since been cut at the backside to accomodate a bigger driver...they currently have some old MTX drivers in there but I am sure I can get some better drivers than that for this purpose.....

I have the stuff in my for sale thread to trade with at the moment

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
You looking for mids or midbasses?

I've got some Oz 200Hs, 8" free-air subs I used as midbass up to 300Hz or so... very nice. Unfortunately, I don't need much in the way of trades. Let me know if you're interested in 'em.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You looking for mids or midbasses?

I've got some Oz 200Hs, 8" free-air subs I used as midbass up to 300Hz or so... very nice. Unfortunately, I don't need much in the way of trades. Let me know if you're interested in 'em.

prefer something that plays as low as possible to tie into my 4inch ADS mid and tweet.....

when did you move to Tulsa?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Not sure I read this right, but I've been using some Morel MW265 4 ohm drivers in my doors for a while now and they are pretty nice drivers for that situation... very musical drivers! Size wise, I think they run 8.75 or in that neighborhood, but they have a QTS of around .51 so they have a lot of control built in from the drivers suspension, allowing them to operate quite well in a door.

You may want to keep your eye out for something like this if it would fit your needs. I bought them to replace a set of Utopia 7W2's and was told about them by a friend who's had a lot of competitive success recently - he told me a friend who had these actually had better sound in the 50/60 - 300 range than his system which is highly respected... and I can only say that I like mine quite a bit and that they require some break in.

They are also pretty shallow - sorry though, mine are not for sale/trade. Good luck in the quest!

Less

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am now waiting on a word from CDT to tell me what the actual xover points I am working with are on my 3 way passive xover....

for now just going to run passive off the new amp coming.......500 x 2 rms .....sweet

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nice...at the moment I dont have any cash to spend till I sell some of my stockpile...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Not sure I read this right, but I've been using some Morel MW265 4 ohm drivers in my doors for a while now and they are pretty nice drivers for that situation... very musical drivers! Size wise, I think they run 8.75 or in that neighborhood, but they have a QTS of around .51 so they have a lot of control built in from the drivers suspension, allowing them to operate quite well in a door.

You may want to keep your eye out for something like this if it would fit your needs. I bought them to replace a set of Utopia 7W2's and was told about them by a friend who's had a lot of competitive success recently - he told me a friend who had these actually had better sound in the 50/60 - 300 range than his system which is highly respected... and I can only say that I like mine quite a bit and that they require some break in.

They are also pretty shallow - sorry though, mine are not for sale/trade. Good luck in the quest!

Less
How low are you playing the MW265s? Just curious as I'm in the same situation as the OP. MW265s seem to model well in my application. Could they actually be used as subs?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
prefer something that plays as low as possible to tie into my 4inch ADS mid and tweet.....

when did you move to Tulsa?
As low as possible? Well, I played these often with no HP crossover... they play to 40Hz very well, and in my opinion well below that. I think it's a perfect match for a 4" midrange in a 3-way front setup.

I moved to Tulsa last summer, moving an hour north in about a month....

·
Registered
2,804 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha. I only need 2

·
Registered
946 Posts
Sorry didn't mean to jack your thread friend - just wanted to throw out an option.

If you aren't looking for really strong deep bass, the morels might do ok I suppose, but personally I still prefer using a seperate sub and cutting the morels at 50hz. I know I've run them down to the bottom before but I just don't remember the results... which makes me think that they probably werent that outstanding haha. I do like them down to 50 though.

Less

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dont need them to go as low as low gets ...but I dont want to have to add a sub to the mix also if I already have 2 8's ....otherwise I would just use a pair of 6.5's I already have and use a baffle to make them fit in the 8inch hole...

I have option for bigger speaker so I want to use it...

no harm done though

1 - 15 of 15 Posts