DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last few days I've blown up the forum with questions.

I have two Eton made Diamond motorsport 5.25's. I like 'em. Lots of midbass.

I got some LPG 25nfa's, only to find out the stock xover is at 2500hz. They don't like playing that low at any considerable volume.

My choices are either find a new passive xover, or go active.

Are there good passives available (air core) that xover at 4K or so?

What are some good active units for a two way system with subs?

I have a PPI PC4400C amp I am using for the fronts and bridged for the subs (2 JL 10W0's in a powerwedge).

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Guess you have to know your 4k is at which order slope to sound good. If just a specific crossover point with first order, it won't sound good normally. Have to go for atleast second or third order.
Ummmmm, No!!

That is not correct, and is based purely on assumption.

However, to the OP, I highly suggest you go active at this point. Trying to find a passive crossover that will actually function like you want will be next to impossible.

Just go active.

·
Registered
229 Posts
And so do I (suggest going active). If your mids don't like being played above 2.5k, then maybe it's time to think about putting your new tweeter in a waveguide to get it to comfortably play that low. Of course, waveguides require a lot of mucking around with filters (or eq), and you have to realise that your acoustic crossover point will be very different to your electrical one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered a set of real Hex s500 crossovers. Apparently, they have a higher xover point, somewhere between 3K-4.2K depending on the impedance of the tweeter, which the LPG is 6.8 Ohm (read: 8 ohm) according to Madisound's chart. Since my old x-overs are 11 years old at this point, this will provide a good experiment. I plan on getting another PPI amp for my subs (upgrade to 10W3's) and then using the 4400 for the front stage active at some point. $50 is a cheap experiment!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
And so do I (suggest going active). If your mids don't like being played above 2.5k, then maybe it's time to think about putting your new tweeter in a waveguide to get it to comfortably play that low. Of course, waveguides require a lot of mucking around with filters (or eq), and you have to realise that your acoustic crossover point will be very different to your electrical one.
What is a waveguide?

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Ummmmm, No!!

That is not correct, and is based purely on assumption.

However, to the OP, I highly suggest you go active at this point. Trying to find a passive crossover that will actually function like you want will be next to impossible.

Just go active.
Guess you got me wrong. I put the 4k is because OP said so? If were to getting a built passive crossover to suit a particular driver is impossible like you said. But can always build own passive crossover. But it will be very complicated and time consuming. So when fall into this problem(a person don't know which point is the best), going active is the best way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts