DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pair of XS65 midbass for my wife's 2011 golf a while back and they had been sounding worse and worse as they 'broke in'.

I thought that it had to be a signal issue from the DSP or the OEM radio integration as the speakers were awesome and couldn't be the cause. I wracked my brain the in P-DSP menu and couldn't find a discrepancy.

I removed the speakers and both of them had coils that jumped the motor gap and the speakers were all deformed and rolled forward. it looks like the cones just failed and the coil pushed them through the front of the driver. the spiders are all warped towards the cone. they barely make sound somehow at this point.

it looks like condensation from humidity in the air could have softened the cones and been the cause for the damage.

do you think this is a warranty replacement type situation? I've already contacted ID tech support, and been forwarded to the warranty department.

has anyone else had similar issues with the XS speakers?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Not the first time I've heard of that issue which has scared me off from using their components. Someone on here (or maybe it was elsewhere) had similar issues before, but I can't remember what the outcome was. Unfortunately, not sure if they will warranty it. All you can do is try, but you will also need to find a way to mitigate the moisture/humidity issues else it will happen again.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Technically it shouldn't be covered by warranty. But, you never really know what a company will warranty and what they won't. I've seen stuff that was clearly abuse by the owner get covered by warranty many times. Just don't be surprised if they won't cover it.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I guess untreated paper cones have that downfall. Yikes. Too bad, man, I hope they cover it. I wonder if you could spray the cones with some water repellent like Scotchguard. I assume it would void warranty, and could possibly very minimally affect T/S parameters, though.

Good luck, man.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel like if the speakers were made for a car door where humidity\condensation would be an issue, then the design of a very permeable water absorbing cone would be their fault.

I cant even understand how they would release an untreated paper cone for car audio use. that makes no sense. I didn't realize they were untreated paper when I bought them, otherwise I would have gone a different route.

still waiting on an email back from them.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
It's a composite cone, but some have experienced that issue when they have severe condensation/ humidity issues. Before replacing them I'd seriously investigate just how much is entering the vehicle or the exact cause. It's possible it could affect other drivers as well. Could be as simple as leaky door/window seals or blocked drainage holes.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
This is why I cringe when I hear people putting Scan Illuminators in the doors.... Untreated paper cones= Mush.

It's a design flaw, but I'd be very suprised if they warranty them... I hope they do.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Funny thing is most treated cones are only treated on the front side. If moisture is a concern, then poly, metal, or other materials should be used. Still, that will not ward off rust and corrosion on metal parts. You still have to tend to issues with water intrusion.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well I know its not from "leaky doors" or "blocked waterways". I have been in the doors plenty of times and they are just like any other door. the speaker is recessed into the cabin from the door cavity because the window regulator mount is directly behind the speaker, and it acts as a kind of a water-shield above the speaker.

the only answer is humidity. if humidity is the concern, then the only thing that could be is that it was a manufacturer defect in my eyes. they were made for door panels as per the ID tech email response I got. I installed them exactly the way they were designed, and they failed completely.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I had pulp SPX Ref cones do this to me, but the XS woofers in my door seem to be in good shape. I DID have a funny sound coming from one though, almost sounded like something was hitting the cone or surround in the door, a horrible buzzing type sound. So I pulled the panel, pulled the speaker, nothing hitting it of course but I discovered there was trash of some sort in the gap which I was able to pull out using strips of paper in between the phase plug and the coil. The repair was successful but it scared me a bit. They are magnificent speakers with no real equal (the X69 model, anyway) but perhaps are fragile.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had 3 sets do this under warranty. It's a shame, I can not find anything I love as much as the XS65

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
As much as I want to see how the x69 would play in my doors, I just can't get over the risk in that happening on drivers of that cost. I'd be pissed.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
As much as I want to see how the x69 would play in my doors, I just can't get over the risk in that happening on drivers of that cost. I'd be pissed.
Yeah, as an owner of them I am now concerned!

If I get to pull the doors sometime, I think I might spray them with something like Gtechniq fabric coat or similar, or maybe the Never-Wet stuff from Rustoleum.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Damn, have to scratch these off the list. I just can't drop that kinda money to have a nice doorstop when so many others will never do that

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Yeah, as an owner of them I am now concerned!

If I get to pull the doors sometime, I think I might spray them with something like Gtechniq fabric coat or similar, or maybe the Never-Wet stuff from Rustoleum.
A couple doses of hairspray, or that water repellant for shoes will work.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah that stuff should be fine. even neverwet would prolly work. clearcoat could work too. scotchguard. all kinds of coatings.

but the issue I have is that mine are already dead.

does anybody on here know someone whom still works for image dynamics?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
yeah that stuff should be fine. even neverwet would prolly work. clearcoat could work too. scotchguard. all kinds of coatings.

but the issue I have is that mine are already dead.

does anybody on here know someone whom still works for image dynamics?
I think their was a rep that was chiming in with the fellow that had the his IDQV4's melted through the cone.

·
Premium Member
11,520 Posts
It's a composite cone...mine were when I got them from Eric.

2 ply composite- rohacell on one side and something else on the other, like the Focal W cone, but 2 layers rather than 3 on the Focals.

Don't see how adding moisture block would/could change anything.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts