DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Diyer's,

I currently have an Xtant 403a powering a set of Morel integra ovations and 1 jl 10w1. My question to you all is:

Have any of you used both of these amps and If so, shed some light on the differences ( sq mainly).
What I'm interested in is more headroom with the amp, but keeping the same clarity I have in the Xtant.

The 403 is 50x2 and 100x1 and the srx3 is 75x2 and 270x1(at 14.4 though).

Please feel free to add any other 3 channel amps you have personally used that were excellent also.

Great site and thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oops, title should read Xtant 403a vs. Srx3.

Sorry

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Budget might help...
If you want a 3 channel amp, then the only 2 that I would consider are either:
The DLS Ultimate A5 or
The Audison LRx 3.1k (I own one)

I never used the A5 but I am using 2 x A2, 1 x A4 and 1 x A6 - I got those brand new for $1,100 (think it's not a bad deal for 4 amps). I feel that you get a lot for the money - SQ wise they are top notch. Try and check the classifieds, might help to get a good deal on some.

Have played with Audison for quite some time now and am very familiar with the sound. I choose the 3.1k for my last install just because the sub channel is Class D. I am using a tube amp for my front stage and it eats my battery way too fast. The 3.1k is built like a tank, have great control over my midbasses and sub.

Hope that helps,
Kelvin

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have not used that exact audison, so my opinion is just that.

But you realize that a fully regulated amp like the 403a, strictly speaking, has ZERO headroom?

Headroom technically is the ability of an amplifier to deliver more than rated power for short periods of time.

Fully regulated amps in the car audio world trade off dynamic headroom for consistent power capability regardless of voltage fluctuations. Your 403a does 50x2 and 100x1 with any 12V supply between those limits (as voltage drops, it does draw more current). Many of the old PPI, the "slash" JL, and a few others fall into this category.

Loosely-regulated amplifiers have some amount of dynamic headroom (audisons do fall within this category as far as I know, and the DLS A5 does as well, as well as most amps for car audio historically), but they require external stiffening of the voltage supply to have extremely consistent performance. You mention this slightly when spec'ing the audison's operating voltage.

So I guess what I'm saying is, I love Morel, and I love xtant, but running Morels on a 403 is always going to have the problem you describe. I would expect it. I bet it sounds great at medium levels, but it strains at higher listening levels and the Morels lack a little slam and a little sparkle.

So I would consider three options to address this:

1) buy that xtant 3300 I wish I was buying on Classifieds and double your fully regulated power.

2) Get more efficient drivers instead of the Morels - Hertz Hi_Energy 165s, for example. Those speakers surprised me a lot.

3) Try another three-channel. I have used a DLS A5 on Morel Ovation 6 comps, it did sound pretty good, but it sounded better with a Zapco DC350.2 on them. The audison would probably be similar. I don't know a dedicated 3-channel that has 100WPC to the fronts, and that was when my Morels really opened up.

Or buy the audison LRx 4.1k I have on the classifieds, and run the 150x2 to the Morels, and bridge the 75x2 to your W1. That's actually not a terrible idea... but you probably have a 4 ohm sub. That amp only bridges to 4 ohms on the rear channels.

Zapco DC1000 would work that way. Even inn low-Z mode you would be hugely upgrading the power.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vp,

Thanks for the info... Yes, I was aware of "headroom", I guess I should have worded it exactly how you did. They do sound great at medium levels and not too bad at high levels ( they don't break up,etc), but I just know they could do sooo much more!!
I was looking at the 4.1k, that won't do 4 ohms mono on the rear channels? My sub is 4 ohms btw......

Bummer man, I'm trying to keep it simple with just 1 amp my Beautiful Morels and 1 sub :(

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
As I said, check the LRx 3.1k
Measured to do 178rms x 2 + 690rms x 1 @ 4ohm.

Try to find one in the classifieds since it cost a bit new from a dealer.

Hope that helps,
Kelvin

·
Registered
111 Posts
Woo hoo my first post.. But anyway the 403a's 2 ohm rating is 100x2 + 200x1

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
That sounds like a nice solution and I still like my 3300 solution too :)

The audison 4.1K can bridge to 4 ohms across the rear bigger channels with the high-current PS, but not across the two smaller "front" channels.

I don't think that 75x2 would be enough upgrade for your Morels, and I think that the two rears bridged to the W1 would slap it silly. I was thinking of using it backwards, 150w pc for the morels and 150w bridged for the W1.

I did something similar once with a DC650 and Elate 6 and a 10" woofer. Ran 50x2 to the Elate tweeters, 100x2 to the Elate midbass, and 50x2 bridged to 175 or so to the 4-ohm 10". Sounded awesome.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Woo hoo my first post.. But anyway the 403a's 2 ohm rating is 100x2 + 200x1
Welcome. Yes, due to Ohm's law. But dynamic headroom is the ability to deliver more power briefly into a constant load.

I understand what you are saying and you are 100% correct. 0% pertinent :) but 100% correct...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I see... I overlooked the fact that he had a 4 ohm sub. But I agree with VP. The 3300 or definately the 4.1k. You also may want to look into a JL300/2 + a 250/1.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vp,

Ok, but the Xtant 3300 is rated 60x2 and 180x1? Please explain how that would make a difference? We're only talking 10 watts on the fronts.... However, I do think they have larger power supplies,etc. Back in '99-'00? I ran an Xtant 3150 25x2 and 100x1 off Boston Pro's and a 12.5 and it sounded beautiful!!! Though I'm sure the eqt's helped...:cool:

My options are: Try a new amp(I want to try Audison).
2. Go old school and put back in my two ppi a600.2 and "slap my w1 silly" :D

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I recall that the 3150 and 3300 were both way under-rated... no way that 3150 was 25x2 on the front end. That said, I mis-remembered the 3300's actual rating. I'm sure one or the other audison would be the better solution.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts