DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 FX SVHO. Putting speakers on one of these beasts sometime this summer. It's a joy to ride and it gets up and scoooots!!

Pray for me as I will be pulling it with my accord, sourcing out a very well kept ramp at the moment :laugh:

Budget is $1000-$1100 including install, a amp, and a pair of pods to be stationed under rear view mirrors angled at me for listening pleasure. I wish this thing was mine to own but it belongs to the family. One is going to me for enjoyment and one to my little brother who just moved to FL. I had a hitch installed a couple weeks ago.

Did wan't to mention odds are I'll be going with wet sounds to bring a particular shop I like some summer biz, that's what they sell and I will be more than happy with the investment.

This will be a walk-in install for sure I won't be out sourcing for deals or anything but just wanted to talk shop on products that maybe you guys have used or installed recently.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I have owned a Mastercraft X45 for about 5 years now. The stock system came with the JL Audio components, 10" JL sub, Clarion HU and marine JL Audio amp. I went to Wet Sounds Rev 10s on the tower, three Pioneer GMD series amps (non marine), a fusion HU, mini DSP for tuning, and Alpine SWR 12 for the sub.

I love the Wetsound Rev 10s. They really project while wakeboarding or surfing. The JL Audio components are nice but some were not functioning properly and I had to replace a few things (10 year old boat so it is to be expected). The stock amp wasn't as efficient as I wanted (Class A/B vs Class D). So I upgraded to the Pioneers. I thought long and hard about going with car vs marine amps and with my mounting location I couldn't justify the extra cost of marine amps. They have been working well for all five years. The little JL sub was OK but the Alpine is much better. The JL was free air but the Alpine is in a sealed enclosure. Getting the bass out to the cabin was an issue since I had to put it in a non-standard location. I cut a hole in a vertical fiberglass section below the seats and covered it with a speaker grill. Works awesome and looks good. The MiniDSP lets me tune things appropriately. The Wetsounds were much more efficient on the top end than the JL components (due to the horn loaded compression driver) and they had less low end (lower midbass freqs). The Mini let me pull down the highs and boost the midbass from the Rev 10s. The Fusion let me do bluetooth audio with track information and control from the swim platform. It is also app compatible so I can turn over the DJ duties to my wife or kids while I drive (nice feature). It also has wifi capability so I was able to build and link a music server as well. All of this performs very well and I have had very minimal maintenance issues.

The Wetsounds equipment is pricey. I can only speak for the quality of the Rev series speakers and they are nice. The rest ???? It would surprise me if you can get much more than entry Wetsounds equipment for the budget you listed (not knocking you just saying this stuff is high). You could likely buy a lot better equipment from a different brand if you study up a bit. I would absolutely recommend sticking with marine grade gear if you can. For me and the Pioneer amps they were cheap enough that if they died it wasn't a big deal. if you want advice on specific brands/solutions, you can PM me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have owned a Mastercraft X45 for about 5 years now. The stock system came with the JL Audio components, 10" JL sub, Clarion HU and marine JL Audio amp. I went to Wet Sounds Rev 10s on the tower, three Pioneer GMD series amps (non marine), a fusion HU, mini DSP for tuning, and Alpine SWR 12 for the sub.

I love the Wetsound Rev 10s. They really project while wakeboarding or surfing. The JL Audio components are nice but some were not functioning properly and I had to replace a few things (10 year old boat so it is to be expected). The stock amp wasn't as efficient as I wanted (Class A/B vs Class D). So I upgraded to the Pioneers. I thought long and hard about going with car vs marine amps and with my mounting location I couldn't justify the extra cost of marine amps. They have been working well for all five years. The little JL sub was OK but the Alpine is much better. The JL was free air but the Alpine is in a sealed enclosure. Getting the bass out to the cabin was an issue since I had to put it in a non-standard location. I cut a hole in a vertical fiberglass section below the seats and covered it with a speaker grill. Works awesome and looks good. The MiniDSP lets me tune things appropriately. The Wetsounds were much more efficient on the top end than the JL components (due to the horn loaded compression driver) and they had less low end (lower midbass freqs). The Mini let me pull down the highs and boost the midbass from the Rev 10s. The Fusion let me do bluetooth audio with track information and control from the swim platform. It is also app compatible so I can turn over the DJ duties to my wife or kids while I drive (nice feature). It also has wifi capability so I was able to build and link a music server as well. All of this performs very well and I have had very minimal maintenance issues.

The Wetsounds equipment is pricey. I can only speak for the quality of the Rev series speakers and they are nice. The rest ???? It would surprise me if you can get much more than entry Wetsounds equipment for the budget you listed (not knocking you just saying this stuff is high). You could likely buy a lot better equipment from a different brand if you study up a bit. I would absolutely recommend sticking with marine grade gear if you can. For me and the Pioneer amps they were cheap enough that if they died it wasn't a big deal. if you want advice on specific brands/solutions, you can PM me.
That's whatsup and awesome man, mini DSP and tuning on your marine setup out on a boat sounds like a great time plus beer and hotdogs taste 5x better on the water.

Wet sounds is a bit high in price, I've browsed once at a shop and haven't bothered even looking online yet. TILL now.. DAMN REV 10's are pricey and tippin the scales. . Just a single LED ring is $150 for a REV 10. You got me a bit worried haha.. but I hope I can settle on something that will bring some satisfaction even if it's entry level.

Got to get my Dad on a good day and come at him with the question and see if he wants to take the skis up to the shop and the damage will be on him lol. Budget then will be $0.00!! 90% chance he will tell me to F#$! off but it's worked a couple of times :laugh:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BOAT - Break Out Another Thousand :)

Good luck!
Whoa! Derrrrm.

Thanks.

If your in Tx and not Alabama. I wanted to mention walker county state troopers don't play in that neck of the woods. I was headed to a music festival on 45 one afternoon and BOOM caught me smoking my medicinal herbs. They put me in some tight bracelets and hauled me off.. court date is the 19th of this month :laugh:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts