DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a restored '88 Trans Am that I only drive in the summer. The car generally gets stored from November to May, and I only keep comprehensive coverage on it during that time. The problem is that my birthday is in early March. Every year, I get my license plate renewal forms in the mail so I can renew online. The problem is that, since my Trans Am doesn't have insurance on it, I can't renew it online. I've tried putting insurance on it and then renewing online, but that doesn't work. What I finally figured out is that I have to have insurance on it at the time that the renewal forms are printed. So my plan this year was to put insurance on it a few weeks before my birthday, just before I usually get the forms in the mail. The forms came about 3 weeks earlier than usual this year:confused:

So I had to go to the Secretary of State office (MI's equivalent of the DMV) and renew the plate in person. Normally I would schedule an appointment online to minimize the wait, but it's still a PITA compared to just renewing online. And this year, they're revamping the appointment system and it's a total cluster fuck. Long story short, it took 1.5hrs to renew my plate, plus another 1/2hr of drive time back and forth to the office.:mad:

I can't help but think that if my birthday was in the summer, I wouldn't have this problem. And MI is a state that has TONS of classic and collector cars that people only drive in the summer. I can't be the only person who has this problem!! Any1 else run into this or have any potential solutions?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Have you tried collector car insurance? My full coverage with a said-value of $20K on my '01 Bullitt was ~$350/year with Hagerty. That was it's always insured if you have a nice day in the winter too.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
I keep insurance on the 1980 TR8 100% of the time. It's not that much and if I get a nice day in January, I can go for a spin.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried collector car insurance? My full coverage with a said-value of $20K on my '01 Bullitt was ~$350/year with Hagerty. That was it's always insured if you have a nice day in the winter too.
That's about the same as the yearly rate for my TA. But considering that I drive the car about 20 weeks out of the year, u'r talking about an extra ~$215 in insurance just to avoid making a trip to Secretary of State.

As for driving it in the winter, that's basically not going to happen. It's very rare where I live to find a day where there's no snow, there's no leftover salt from a previous snow, and the temp is warm enough for summer-only tires. Even during this current winter, which is relatively mild, there's only been 1 day that might have worked.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just saying that if my birthday was in July, I would already have the car on the road for the summer. So it would have insurance on it, and I would be able to renew the plate for that car online.

MI does offer classic car license plates. The problem is that they're only legal to drive the car to and from car shows or other similar events. I use my car as much as I can in the summer... basically for any trip (other than going to work) that's more than about 5 miles.

·
Listener of Music
3,036 Posts
You have to pay for convenience. I just swap plates from my summer car to winter car. Being cheap always cost you time.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have to pay for convenience. I just swap plates from my summer car to winter car. Being cheap always cost you time.
If my birthday was in July, I wouldn't have to pay for the convenience of renewing the plate online. And that's part of what pisses me off about this situation.

Still, I know what u'r saying... I try to get the best value, but I'm always conscious of how much my time is worth. But given 2hrs to get the plate renewed vs $215 in extra insurance costs, I'd spend the time. And it's usually more like an hr of my time... it only took longer this year becuz the appointment system was screwed up.

·
Listener of Music
3,036 Posts
They don't pro-rate registration in Michigan? In NY if you pay 120 for a years registration (it's every 2 here) and you only use 8 months you would have the option of a refund check or credit to your DMV account for the remaining four months. For seasonal vehicles you don't even have to turn in your plates. You do have to pay a small fee for new plates. So it cost nothing "extra". It's about $75 a year for registration for a car. You still have to go in after a certain amount of time without registration.

·
Registered
644 Posts
What about insurance "garage fee"?
I've done this. If not using a car, I pulled the driving insurance, and put it on garage fee. Technically still on the policy and insured, just not drivable and has to be stored. Was like a minimal 30-40 bucks over the course of a 6 month policy. When time to drive comes, just call up and reactivate normal policy.
But can only switch once every 30 days.
I have a car on this right now (got my car back from my ex, needs repairs, so not driving it until fixed, but wanted it reg'd and insured so its on garage fee).

Not sure if its carrier specific, state specific, or what. But something to look into?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's a virtual certainty that it would be cheaper to have the car on Progressive (my carrier) for 12 months than it would be to have it on Allstate for 8 months. And if the insurance doesn't qualify the car to be driveable as u say, then it probably won't qualify for license plate renewal either. For example, my dad takes the liability insurance off his cars in the winter, but leaves PLPD coverage on them in case they get damaged while being stored. PLPD coverage-only is not sufficient for renewing plates.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts