DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking around at ClinesSelect's and C-Bass's builds gave me great ideas on how to get mine done. Thought I would log the details here...

The first two things I wanted to get out of the way was the Alarm with remote start.

And the double din...

This one was tricky, they don't make a kit for my truck so I had to make my own...

Next, I will be building a box and amp rack under and behind the rear seats... only part of my equipment came in yesterday so I will have to wait for the rest of it.

I will have the following setup:
2 x P200.2 - Each Front Door (Hertz DSK 165)
2 x P500.1 - Each 12" Sub (Kicker 12" CVR)
1 x P300.1 - 10" or 12" Center Console (Undecided)

I will change this later but this is the equipment I have for now...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Which Kenwood unit is that? I had a Kenwood DDIN Nav unit that kept on eatting CDs and DVDs. After returning it 3 times I finally went with a Pioneer. Hopefully you have better luck with yours.

Looks like a pretty budget build, but you should get some pretty good sound out of all of it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which Kenwood unit is that?
It's the Kenwood DDX418, not sure how I like it yet... It doesn't eat CD's or DVD's yet :)

Looks like a pretty budget build, but you should get some pretty good sound out of all of it.
It is definitely a budget build as I wont be getting the Zappco Amps and Image Dynamic Subs until my next sales bonus :)

The plan is to get a DC1100.1 and a DC350.2 and drop all of the Rockford equipment.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I absolutely love them. Can't say they're perfect but love the bass response. The tweeter is smooth and unobtrusive, very realistic. There was a gap on my previous install in the lower midrange, lower voices/percussion...not sure if speaker issue, crossover, location or just these speakers, but the midrange is just a little too quiet, particularly at lower volume. For example, the driving mid range sound of rock & roll is weak...if I try to eq it up they just get "strident". I've read this about them elsewhere. But the bass is full and smooth, the highs clear and pretty, and never offensive...then you turn them up and the midrange fills itself in, hit that sweet spot where they're just about as perfect as I've heard. But I'm no expert.
The Rainbow profi's in back have no bass by comparison, a somewhat colored sound to the midrange, high range pretty good.
The build quality of the milles is also impressive...just had to look at them and it was clear they were in their own class.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I listen to allot of 80's/90's rock and DubStep... I can say there is a major difference between the two genres and the excellent sound that comes from the DSK's I have, pure and smooth, no ear fatigue... I had the Focal 165VB's and had to let them go in my last car. Picked these up from the local rep as a "Try-n-Buy" and loved them right away.

I do feel at times there is a little mid-range missing and have toyed with the idea of putting 8's in the door to see if it helps any...? or maybe some 3's or 4's in the dash...?

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
3-4 maybe better for mid range...seems to be some concensus on this forum mids do well in the kick panels, good place for speakers this size. But there are a lot of opinions on this site and I often don't understand the concepts thrown about.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Started with the doors since they seem to take the longest, and I needed to finish installing the Hertz DSK165's

Drivers Door:

Getting it ready for the Acetone:

I used a Paint Brush so this is what it looks like after the 2nd coat... Will hit it one more time...

Ran the wire through the plug

Reused the plastic covering until I can get the closed cell foam to put over it instead. Mounted the cover plate

Then mounted the 6 1/2

Then mounted the tweeter, will drill this out later and mount it flush

Left rear door done

Polk Audio rear fill mounted

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Mopar! The issue I am having is what Sub/Amp combo to use. I have tried 10's and 12's and not really getting that super loud and clean bass I am looking for.

I installed the kicker cvr 12's and have tried JL Audio w3v3's and even a pair of IDQ12 V3's... Might be the amps... Might be the subs... no idea...

Still trying to work that out...

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Yay! UPS Guy dropped off some goodies for me yesterday... I should get the Tech-Flex in today :)

Zapco 1100.1 and Zapco 350.2 (either a Zapco 360.4 or another 350.2 will come later)

Spray gun for the deadner

2 Gallons of eDead V3 (On sale for $37!!!) with a Undercoating gun, now that the compressor piston is replaced we can put this stuff on correctly :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Today had a small window where I could start on the amp rack so I thought I'd get the back section started before the rain comes in.

Got most of the stuff out of the way...

Good wipe down with Acetone:

Got a good 3 coats on just before the clouds decided to roll in...

I put the first two layers on with the spray gun, but decided to use the last of the can and use the paint brush...

It's on there pretty thick and I am happy about it... Going to see if I can start fiberglassing before the rain as now is a perfect time to get it done...

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.