DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a 8" sub. I did a search but didn't really get alot out of it other than ppl saying to just get 10s or 12s. I have Kia Soul and I'm downsizing from 2 alpine type E 10s ran by a eclipse xa1000 at 2ohm. The amp does 320 RMS @4ohm & [email protected] 2ohm. I need the room in my hatch for baby stuff now so I'm going to a single 8 ran by the same amp. I've read alot about 8's in the past 2 days and im just at a stale mate on what to get. I've narrowed it down to the PPI A.8SQ, RE REX8DA, Polk DB840 & the JBL GTO 804. all but the JBL are DVC models. I'm not going for any crazy bass just a full sound Under $100. Any input would be great.

·
Registered
97 Posts
TC Sounds Epic 8"

I dont have the 8",but I have 2-10" in my car. Great SQ, great impact.
Also the 8" will go in a TINY box seald.

Check them out at parts Express.

LionelC

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i looked at that but i dont know if i can spend more then $100 on an 8" sub. im a miser that way. I might go over there to PE this weekened and check it out

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Sonic has Alpine Type-R DVC 8 for $100 shipped.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Also take a look at the Alpine 8"...you can get one for $94 shipped from an authorized dealer....It would be my first choice

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I agree authorized would be best, what authorized dealer has them for $94?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I would get the JBL.

great design
performs fantastic
price is right

Alpine 8 type R seems to have a lot going for it and if you can get it within your budget then it would be a great choice

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have read alot about the JBL but i have it as my last choice right now because it is a SVC w only 6mm xmax. i was also looking at the American Bass XD8 but W my current amp i would be afraid to underpower the sub

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
i actually stand corrected on the GTO Xmax. I found a link that shows it 11.5mm Xmax and the polk is the one that has only 6mm Xmax. I would also mention that im not really wanting to get into a ported box. strickly sealed. I think im going to give the RE and GTO a shot. Im leaning more toward the RE as it is DVC and from what i read can bee pushed with ease and not get hurt. I can get them both for about 50 on ebay and another 20 for a .4ft3 sealed enclosure. im going to cheap out with the lower priced subs for now and if i dont like them they will be on here soon enough!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Sounds like a good plan.

Just remember that those pesky laws of physics will rear their heads. *" sub sealed enclosure etc. Just don't expect to remove fillings or dissolve kidney stones.

The power you have available in 4 or 2 ohms on a single sub is about a 1db difference everything else being equal. So the reason I am leaning towards the JBL you specified is because IF at some point you decide that the single 8 isnot enough then by oing to a second sub, you gain the 3db for doubling woofs and an extra ~1 db for the increase in power. Using the the DVC means in most likely circumstances a new amp.

Just trying to save you money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wouldn't be afraid of the xd 8" from American Bass I had a pair in 2 cu. ft. total ported with 400 watts rms on the pair and they did very well

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I see what youre saying about the SVC v DVC as far as being able to expland. you guys keep throwing good options at me and now im going crazy! the E3.8 looks killer and easy on the wallet too. oh man im gonna lose sleep over this now! Thanks alot!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts