DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about picking up a DSP next year.
I seen the posts about the mini dsp, and was wondering during how that would compare to Audio Control DM-608 which caught my eye.

I see on the mini dsp there are 4 inputs.
The Audio Control has 6 inputs.

I have front, rear, and sub outputs from the headunit.

So would you select full range on the front and rear on the headunit, and use the mini dsp to cross everything over, and get a signal to the sub?

The mini has better crossover options, the Audio Control only has 12 or 24

The Audio Control has a 30 band eq, where the mini has a 6 band parametric.
But my headunit has an eq also, so an extra 6 would probably be fine.

The mini is quite a bit cheaper then the Audio Control. 250 cheaper.

Any thoughts on how the mini compares to the Audio Control?

· Registered
2,198 Posts
The AC has fixed GEQ bands while the 6x8 has PEQ bands on inputs and outputs. You really only need 1 set of inputs on the DSP. The only reasons I can think of to run more than one set of inputs would be to retain subwoofer level control from the HU rather than a remote knob. Or to take advantage of the additional EQ bands on the input side of the 6x8.

I wouldn't focus much on the number of inputs. You just use the input mixer to route inputs to the appropriate outputs. The advantage is simply that PEQ is way better than GEQ.

If you want to compare options at $500 than look at the minidsp 8x12 or helix mini. You can even spot some used helix models for 300-400 around here.

If you're not against used, buy a helix 8 channel dsp or a minidsp 8x12 (if you want a feature like dirac live). Or if you haven't purchased amps, check out some of the amp/dsp combo stuff helix has. The M Four DSP seems like a good deal for a 10 channel dsp w/ 4 channels of amplification.

· Registered
2,440 Posts
Like lithium said the inputs are not critical - some end up with a direct digital send for better SQ. What you want to be sure of is having enough outputs. One of the biggest advantages of a DSP is being able to go fully active and fine tune xovers and time alignment.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Been searching the forum, and searching on line, but I am having trouble seeing where to buy the Helix mini, and also if it has an eq in it.

Mini dsp is available at Parts Express.

Seems to be the Helix is better then the Minidsp.

But the Minidsp comes across as a solid choice, and I am thinking Minidsp or better, and 500.00 is the most I would want to spend.

As far as amps go I have everything.

Next year I plan to upgrade the 6.5 door speakers, and loose the passive crossover, and be running a separate amp per speaker, two way up front,, rear fill,, and subs, and set up time delay.

· Registered
2,440 Posts
Helix: Distributors

You can't buy Helix "online" but if you don't have a local dealer within a reasonable distance then Nick (@SkizeR) can ship you one.

They come up used but make sure you understand the distinction between the ACO and non-ACO units if your buying used.

Helix has better internals and more comprehensive controls but mini has Dirac and more outputs at the same price.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

· Registered
611 Posts
Car iD has the AC DM-608 for $410

Hard to beat. It was $399 for a few weeks, but I guess they jacked it up.

You can use 1 set of inputs, as folks say above. I prefer toslink and Bluetooth, which is another benefit of the AC DSPs, BUT those cheap bastards charge an addl $124.00 for the Bluetooth receiver, which is a slight kick to the nuts.

· Registered
2,636 Posts
I still don’t know what to make of the ac dsps. My local ac dealer hardly ever installs them. Amps, processors, locs they do a ton of ac products but says he doesn’t like their dsps and customers don’t ask for them. Don’t know if that is a shop thing to sell to other equipment or not

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One thing that I noticed both the Minidsp, and the Helix dsp have an input voltage of up to 4 volts, and my headunit puts out 5 volts. Could that pose a problem?

I really don't think that I will be upgrading to need more then 8 outputs.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In the Helix lineup correct me if I'm wrong, to get 8 outputs you have to go with the Helix dsp.3

As the lower Helix models only have 6 outputs.

I have tweeters, front and rear door speaker, and sub.

· Registered
133 Posts
If you're on a budget there is absolutely nothing wrong with something like this: Processador de Audio Digital Stetsom STX2848 - 8 Vias - Crossover Dinâmico e Equalizador 15 Bandas

You may not get everything a $500+ DSP has but I love mine and you don't have to hook up a laptop to tune the system, which is useful if you are out somewhere and need to make a change (which I have had to do). As long as you don't need to control front and rear fade from up front something like this is perfect for an active 3 way + sub or active 2 way+ rears+ sub.

Reactions: Old'sCool

· Registered
2,198 Posts
One thing that I noticed both the Minidsp, and the Helix dsp have an input voltage of up to 4 volts, and my headunit puts out 5 volts. Could that pose a problem?

5 volts is the max it puts out with a sine wave at 100/100 volume. The voltage out is proportional to the volume level at the HU and content you're listening to.

· Registered
4,298 Posts

What head unit do you have?

· Registered
611 Posts
If you're on a budget there is absolutely nothing wrong with something like this: Processador de Audio Digital Stetsom STX2848 - 8 Vias - Crossover Dinâmico e Equalizador 15 Bandas

You may not get everything a $500+ DSP has but I love mine and you don't have to hook up a laptop to tune the system, which is useful if you are out somewhere and need to make a change (which I have had to do). As long as you don't need to control front and rear fade from up front something like this is perfect for an active 3 way + sub or active 2 way+ rears+ sub.
This is good advice, which will probably fall on deaf ears. I installed the similar Banda Expert DSP in a car for a buddy, and I must say, he is grinning every time he fires it up.

No laptop cables, ridiculous amounts of crossover and limiter capabilities, and honestly, enough EQ for most systems with no major cabin resonances/with proper speaker installation and setup.

I almost grabbed one for my build, but I have ALL the peripheral pieces for a full DM-810 setup to accept toslink, and don't feel like selling the AC components off...

· Registered
2,440 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.