DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard many tell me that you do not need fusing in a marine application. This may apply in a Fiberglass boat but in an aluminum boat you have to fuse. Aluminum is a conductor and it can make one hell of a spark in and out of the water. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have heard many tell me that you do not need fusing in a marine application. This may apply in a Fiberglass boat but in an aluminum boat you have to fuse. Aluminum is a conductor and it can make one hell of a spark in and out of the water. Just an FYI.
they are correct the laws of physics and electrical safety are only valid with a fully grounded electrical system... please read this with the appropriate level of sarcasm and condescending attitude intended.

Accidents happen that is why we fuse, without fusing the fault in a speaker will cause a fault in an amp which will cause a fault in the power generating portion of the vehicle which will leave you in a car (or boat) on fire.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand! I just dont want people to think no fusing is needed for certain apps! I just took a wire and grounded out my battery to the alum boat and I now have a black spot. LOL

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
I understand! I just dont want people to think no fusing is needed for certain apps! I just took a wire and grounded out my battery to the alum boat and I now have a black spot. LOL
Sorry, I wasn't trying to show you they are in fact needed with my post. Just trying to back up the point of your thread with hard evidence (that's what she.....). ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Proper fusing is needed in any audio system... car, boat, semi, and even planes.

·
Registered
933 Posts
why would fusing not be needed for a boat? If a short turns your power wire into a burning fuse, its gonna cause problems. Fiberglass or not.

·
Registered
75 Posts
fusing is required period. only exception would be battery inter-connects and starter cables. a power supply could short in an amp internally, physical damage can short both positive and negative runs together in any sort of ways, etc..... even in low power wiring, like for a dome light..... many, many reasons not to want to ignite wire, or blow up batteries, but plain and simple........

IF IT'S A POWER WIRE, FUSE IT, PERIOD!

[/thread]

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
sure, why not! wire doesnt overheat and catch fire in boats! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Um. I want fusing as much, if not more, in my boat than in a car. Fiberglass is highly flammable, and a shorted wire without a fuse could mean you are swimming instead of wondering why the stereo quit working.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Um. I want fusing as much, if not more, in my boat than in a car. Fiberglass is highly flammable, and a shorted wire without a fuse could mean you are swimming instead of wondering why the stereo quit working.
This guy didn't believe in fuses...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts