DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted in my truck for a new stereo. Then I came here. For the past few days I have spent more time here than sleeping lol. I have become pretty confused being such a noob and hope you guys with better experience will be bale to help me out with this journey. I am thinking of stepping away from some of the mainstream stuff based on alot of what I have read. I hope you guys can bare with alot of what may seem like dumb questions and I will try to make specific threads to make things a bit easier. Thanks for what looks like a great site also.

·
Registered
421 Posts
What model truck is it? And when you speak of new stereo, is it just a HU or complete system?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I thought I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted in my truck for a new stereo. Then I came here. For the past few days I have spent more time here than sleeping lol. I have become pretty confused being such a noob and hope you guys with better experience will be bale to help me out with this journey. I am thinking of stepping away from some of the mainstream stuff based on alot of what I have read. I hope you guys can bare with alot of what may seem like dumb questions and I will try to make specific threads to make things a bit easier. Thanks for what looks like a great site also.

I was in the same boat many, many months ago when I decided to leave the main stream and give some other stuff (DIY) a try.

I've read through out this forum, made many reference docs for myself (copied and pasted important info), did some research on speakers that interested me and went and bought them. Finally got an active HU instead of a trunk mounted one and hooked up a remote RCA sub control.

Now I'm dialing in the sound stage and still learning. The mountain does not look too high now.

Late!

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Consider yourself lucky; I got here late and had already bought some stuff that I kinda wish I hadn't.

So what were you thinking and what are you considering now?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I understand your problem !!!
When I discovered this forum, I had already my system in my car.
Now I know I could have bought other brands or other equipements.
But it is too late, and I must keep everything unless I can sell it at a good price (I don't have anymore money for new things :().
So, take your time, ask a lot of questions, and make the right choice.
Good luck !!!:D

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Glad we could be of service. Welcome to the wonderful world of DIY.

I know what you mean. I have been on here for months soaking up as much as possible and I am still sorely confused. Which is a bad thing since Spring apparently is close to being sprung on Chicago. I will have to step out of cyberspace and my basement lair where I have been testing my equipment. Into the real world (what is that bright light hurting my eyes? oh it's the Sun) and apply what I think I may have learned to my truck install.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an 01 Sierra. And I'll be doing a full system.

Alpine CDA-9887
Alpine PDX-5
Alpine SPX-17REF (front)
Alpine SPS-406 or Alpine SPX-13REF (rear fill)

Alpine SWR-1022D

I have maybe thought of using some midbass drivers in the rear instead of rear fill.

This whole active vs passive has really peaked my interest. Figure I would address that in its own thread.

As far as what I am considering now, well I am not really sure. Sound quality is what I am after more than just being loud.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Alpine CDA-9887
Alpine PDX-5
Alpine SPX-17REF (front)
Alpine SPS-406 or Alpine SPX-13REF (rear fill)

Alpine SWR-1022D
/////Alpine is not mainstream?

I'd advise being very patient and making good use of the search function. It's a much better idea to "lurk" and take in what other people are asking and talking about, see whats for sale in the classified and look for the Reps of product lines that are active on the board to get a good idea of what equipment is worth it.

and my .02 cents, rear fill is a waste of money. Especially if you are in a truck

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
This whole active vs passive has really peaked my interest. Figure I would address that in its own thread.

As far as what I am considering now, well I am not really sure. Sound quality is what I am after more than just being loud.
If you're considering going active start with a simple two way front stage.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
/////Alpine is not mainstream?

and my .02 cents, rear fill is a waste of money. Especially if you are in a truck
I second that. Ditch rear-fill unless you want to make people that ride in the back seat happy.

·
Registered
751 Posts
If you're considering going active start with a simple two way front stage.
I agree -look at my sig

I second that. Ditch rear-fill unless you want to make people that ride in the back seat happy.
I was wanting rear fill at first... If I had a crew cab and people riding back there, it MAY BE worthwhile... But I have an extra cab -and seldom do people ride back there... If they do, they still aren't missing much -the front stage gets well back there enough!... It's usually 1 person back there, anyway...and they can't sit in the middle if they want better staging.

·
Registered
421 Posts
here is my advice to you if you have not started yet !!!take your time!!!! think about where you want to go, then how far you want to go, it has taken me over a year to finally finish my front stage. First do you want to go active or passive? then where are you going to start from there? i would start with the head unit, because from that decision it will tell you your next step, am I going to need amps if so how many, am I going to need a external xover, if so, am i doing 4/way active or three way active, see where I'm headed? yes down a long road, so take your time!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
If you had any idea how much equipment i have bought and sold since I got to this site. Some I regret like my old MTX thunder amps

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
You haven't mentioned how much you were willing to spend. :p

I have all sorts of ideas, however, they're all out of my price range. ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would estimate around the 1k mark for gear or so. Of course, I have no doubt that I will go over that once all the little stuff starts to add up. I am planning on starting of with sound absorbing. Its hard for me to take my time but I want to do things right. This will be my first install because I want to use that cost towards gear and some personal satisfaction. I have some older Boston RC components I may use for the time being since my door speakers are shot.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
This thread has some good ideas on sound deadening which may save you money. Nothing wrong with the mainstream products, but with $1K budget deadening can eat up more than you would expect.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-build-logs/46654-invasion-door-panel-snatchers-5.html

You could ask FoxPro5 for some assistance on sound deadening. He's always helpful.

Just kidding about FoxPro5. It is wise to tread lightly. Some here are brutally honest and blunt. But many of those on this board who have the least patience are also the source of some good information. Provided you are willing to do your research and read bewteen the lines.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Just remember one thing, wanting to get it right and achieving it is a different story. Do the research and have a plan, but this process also involves trail and error.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm another newb. If you take a look at all my posts, they're generally from the "Off Topic" section. The reason for that is because I've been lurking for so long, almost all my questions have already been asked and answered. Sound deadening/dampening/reflection (you can never buy enough, everyone has their favorites, and, IMO, if it doesn't get all over your hands, you're not doing it right), to how to run cabling in through your vehicle, how to fiberglass if you're interested, how to create/repair/re-tool existing interior panels, pillars and the like... This forum is a great place to start and despite all these Old School DIYers, at the end of the day, they hug it out and post pics of their installs. No matter how amazingly pro or homespun ghetto your install, this crowd is as supportive as it gets.

Edit: Oh yeah, and when you inevitably screw up (like myself), there are always choice parts SOMEONE is willing to sell for the cheap!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts