DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Here's the situation(parents went away on a weeks vacation....)
Lol now that that is out of my system ....

I have approximately $300.00 plus tax (7.25%-8.75%) to spend on a headunit. I've been leaning towards an Alpine CDA 117 mostly based on its reputation, and the fabled brown burr DACS.
I have an MS8 that will be doing all the heavy lifting, so I'm not going the imprint route, and won't be using any of the decks special features.
For the same amount of money, is there any other deck I should be looking at, that is single din and possesses excellent SQ.

Thanks..
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Are you adverse to buying used? If not there are several great units for that dollar amount and even under.
:)

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
IMHO, if you're going to use MS-8, the stereo choice should be based on usability. Make a list of common tasks, and compared how they are accomplished with different stereos. Make a visit to best buy, and play with their stereos on display. Even if they don't have what you need to buy, the stereos of the same manufacturer usually have a common look and feel.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I wont talk you out of the CDA117, it is a nice unit, but if you are gonna pair it with an MS8, just get something basic. EQ, crossover and T/A on the HU is pointless if you have it on the MS8 too.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you adverse to buying used? If not there are several great units for that dollar amount and even under.
so recommend some...
I'm not totally adverse to used.

for example i've seen a 880prs in the same price range, however in researching the bijillion cda117 threads here i've found that the consensus was that the people seemed to like the cda117 more. its hard to do a head to head with out a good high end shop near me.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wont talk you out of the CDA117, it is a nice unit, but if you are gonna pair it with an MS8, just get something basic. EQ, crossover and T/A on the HU is pointless if you have it on the MS8 too.
Basic like what? my issue is from what ive heard, what makes the cda117 "special" is its DA, and it seems everything with similar DA's is more expensive with more features that i won't use. for example the iDA-X305SBT, but of course there are debates on whether the DA's in that are really as good as the ones in the 117. and of course everything i'm *saying* is only hear say. i have not listened to either unit. I can grab either from crutchfield but no one had them locally to demo.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
There is an Eclipse CD8053 in the classifieds which I would highly recommend. Now since I also run an MS8, I wasn't as worried about other processing. The Alpine is a good piece as such buy that install it, and enjoy. Happy Holiday.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'd focus on beeing able to play lossless from Ipod or USB...

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Basic like what? my issue is from what ive heard, what makes the cda117 "special" is its DA, and it seems everything with similar DA's is more expensive with more features that i won't use. for example the iDA-X305SBT, but of course there are debates on whether the DA's in that are really as good as the ones in the 117. and of course everything i'm *saying* is only hear say. i have not listened to either unit. I can grab either from crutchfield but no one had them locally to demo.
like I said, I am not talking you out of it! if sound quality is a concern, get the 117. if you are not so concerned about that, then the 123 will give you CD and 6 preamps for $150 less.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts