DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

Its been a few years but I've finally relapsed back into the audio world with my new (to me) car.

I spent the last week building a sub box, the false floor/amp rack, and installing all my old stuff, only to find out that my Rainbow tweeters somehow crapped out sitting on a shelf for 3 or so years. So now I'm in the market for a new pair and would like some recommendations!

The car is a 2012 Golf GTI and the system consists of:
  • OEM HU (VW RCD-510, high level into DSP)
  • Audison BitTen D (2-way active front stage)
  • Alpine MRP-F300 (50x4 RMS)
  • Alpine MRV-M500 (500x1 RMS)
  • Hertz HV-165 (in factory door location)
  • Tweeter X (in factory sail panel, the 25mm Rainbows fit perfectly)
  • JL 12w6v2 (1.46 cu ft sealed box in left side of hatch area)

I'm fairly set on silk tweeters, I like the smooth/warm highs as opposed to the various metallic tweeters I've heard. The CDT DRT-25 looks very appealing, but I haven't heard it or any reviews of it.

I'm temporarily running the CDT ES-02's high passed at 3khz, literally sitting on my dash squeezed into PVC endcaps until I can get ahold of smaller tweeters.

In short:
What would be a good 25mm/1in silk tweeter to complement the Hertz HV-165 midbass?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd like to keep it at/under $200. And I've never heard of Stereo Integrity, I'll look into that! How much would you let a pair go for?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I'd like to keep it at/under $200. And I've never heard of Stereo Integrity, I'll look into that! How much would you let a pair go for?
Makes some car audio speakers/subs but is more known for home audio. SI is less than an hour from you in Claremont, NC. May be worth a trip. Or Nick might be willing to meet you so you can take a listen when his personal/company vehicle is done.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Holy lord I didn't even know a 24" sub existed, that's insane! I really like the specs of that tweeter, I've never heard a silk dome that I couldn't live with so I'd be willing to give them a shot!

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
The 24" is a beast. I could tell you it sounds incredibly good but noone ever believes me, even my customers say they didn't think it would sound as good as it does and they've read it sounds good. The HS-24 is 85lbs and the motor is very strong, when it hits, it hits, and when it is supposed to stop, it stops. My favorite scene for showing that is the breaking concrete scene in John Wick...just crazy how phenomenal that sounds. But it sounds great with everything. The BHS-24 is 130lbs and sounds just that bit sweeter, primarily because it works better in the smaller enclosure I'm using for a commercial product.

I started a home theater company around the HS-24 subwoofer. Deep Sea Sound

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just so you know, the M25s are pretty big. Might want to make sure that you can squeeze them into your install first.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just so you know, the M25s are pretty big. Might want to make sure that you can squeeze them into your install first.
Yeah.. That's what I'm currently trying to figure out. In the past, I would have just cut up the sails and made it fit, but I really am opposed to doing that to this car.

I'm drawing out the dimensions of the M25's to get a better idea of what I'm getting into.

This is my sail panel that someone put a Morel MT23 in, which is 50mm OD and 20mm deep, compared to the M25's 62mm OD and 30mm depth. I think I can make it work, possibly with the help of a dremel?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
why the opposition to cutting up the sails? Can't you pick up a spare set cheaply?
Yeah, I guess I could. But its more just to keep it looking stock. I've never messed with fiberglass and I know it would look terrible if I tried to turn them into proper pods.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Yeah, I guess I could. But its more just to keep it looking stock. I've never messed with fiberglass and I know it would look terrible if I tried to turn them into proper pods.
I bought a set of pillars for my car off of eBay to play with and I think they were $40 or so for the pair shipped but my car is a little older.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought a set of pillars for my car off of eBay to play with and I think they were $40 or so for the pair shipped but my car is a little older.
I've been looking for a set of them online, but the only place I can find them is at the dealer for like 300 a pair!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.