DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought the SPZ60 2-way components and I am looking for a great sound quality amp to power these and some stock rear 4x6 for rear fill in a 04 GMC Duramax. The Z6 speakers can handle 150rms and are 3 ohm speakers.

Also I need some clairification on if I should run the stock rear speakers off deck or the same amp that would power the z6's?

A little off topic but what sub(s) and sub amp would complement these components and fit under the seats? I did have a little idea about having a nice amp for sub(s) that can handle a big subwoofer for weekend fun when needed with taking rear seating out. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looking for some advice, I'm looking into us amps and audison but am unclear what the best route to go with as the spz6's are 3 ohm speakers.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I ran my old Z6 set off an older pioneer amp (sorry, don't remember the model number). The components were getting about 175w per side. They got loud and sounded pretty nice. I had them mounted coax since I was using the passive crossover.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It really won't make much difference if it's an amp from a reputable manufacturer.
I agree but could you give me more direction as in the amount of channel's I should look at as well as information on running stock oem rear fills with or without the amp?

·
Registered
509 Posts
overpowering the speakers is better than underpowering them IMO, just to give you some headroom

if it was me, and I personally dont care about rear speakers, id just run them off the headunit and put all the power into your front stage / SPZ6's

I ran mine active with about 400 w rms going into each Z6 mid, which is a bit of an overkill, but did the job and sounded great

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
overpowering the speakers is better than underpowering them IMO, just to give you some headroom

if it was me, and I personally dont care about rear speakers, id just run them off the headunit and put all the power into your front stage / SPZ6's

I ran mine active with about 400 w rms going into each Z6 mid, which is a bit of an overkill, but did the job and sounded great
Sweet, so 2 channel amp it is! I will be running these passive for now as I am a noob and have a lot to learn. Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
You can damage speakers by under powering them as well. I ran a set of Canton 5.25" components off a factory deck and toasted the tweeter. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
You can damage speakers by under powering them as well. I ran a set of Canton 5.25" components off a factory deck and toasted the tweeter. Lesson learned.
You didnt ruin them from "under power" they were more likely ruined by distortion from making your deck do something it was not capable of!
This whole "under power" ruining something is a myth!

That being said, I am a giant power freak and LOVE the z's.
If you have room, something like the soundstream ref. 2.640 would be perfect! Great amps with lots of flexibilty should you decide to go active later on. It would be a great amp for just the midbass! But as said above, there are pretty much countless options. Maybe try out the new JBL class d mini amps. They seem promising and have more features then any amp produced to date.
We love guinea pigs!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Correct, I was most likely pushing the deck's amp past it design limitations. I wouldn't say it was distortion though. The deck's amp could have been clipping however. I rarely turned the volume up very high (yes I realize that's a qualitative statement) but even small amounts of clipping can result in waste heat in the voice coil. I doubt the deck was putting out sufficient amounts of distortion at moderate levels to damage the voice coil so I chock it up to clipping the deck's amp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Clipping is the most common cause of speaker damage. If you are underpowering your speakers you tend to turn the volume up higher causing the amp to clip and that's when your speakers heat up and get damaged. I run Boston Acoustic both the pro series and spz series and I have been using old school Harman Kardon amps (CA260's and TC600's) and they sound amazing. The new amps I like are audison, sundown and the new zed amps. They all have good power

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
All 3 of you are wrong. You cannot damamge a speaker by underpowering it nor by clipping the amp that's driving them. Only two things can EVER hurt a speaker, overpowering and overdriving. That's it.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Can you explain the difference between overpower and overdriving? Are you refering to xover points to low for the speaker in question? Just curious.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Over powering is feeding a driver more power than it can handle, overheating the voice coil, and killing the driver. That's how most speakers are destroyed. Some speakers can thermally handle enough power that you can driver the speaker past it's physical limits, destroying the speaker.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts