DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned zapco ref , dc ref , & c2k but i have been out of car audio for 9 years now and I am interested if someone could compare to me the differences between the c2k vs lx / ap amps. Are they better or same. I liked c2k because they had symbilink balanced inputs which seems to have changed and I wanted to know why they got rid of them as well as not accepting 16 volts anymore.

A good review from someone who has had both please list pros cons opinions etc.

I also was curious if running a SLB-R SLB-R4 SLB-TP4 would work on these new lx / ap amps so I could get balanced inputs.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
C2K, DC Ref were a different designer than what's available today (LX/AP). Some will argue that the new stuff is better. The C2K and DC Ref to me were exceptional amps for their time.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

Reactions: robert_wrath

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C2K, DC Ref were a different designer than what's available today (LX/AP). Some will argue that the new stuff is better. The C2K and DC Ref to me were exceptional amps for their time.

How do you feel about there newest processors? I imagine I might go back to c2k in the future but I want more info and input from other users about c2k vs lx / ap.

It's good to know that a different designer is the reason for change. The c2ks electric components can always be upgraded just like the newer amps as well.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
How do you feel about there newest processors? I imagine I might go back to c2k in the future but I want more info and input from other users about c2k vs lx / ap.

It's good to know that a different designer is the reason for change. The c2ks electric components can always be upgraded just like the newer amps as well.
I've read and heard mixed reviews. Some says it it's phenomenal, others say the opposite. Not my place to comment. I'm still waiting to test a unit. I like the USB Player onboard unit, kills two birds with one stone.

My setups have oem radios and an external DAP(FiiO M11). all processed with Arc PS8PROs hardware.

IMHO, Helix and or Arc PS8/PRO are the safest DSPs today.

C2Ks are great, the cables always drove me insane when installing.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Regarding Zapco processors, I recently stopped using the previous gen Z8 in favor of MiniDSP 8x12 DL and I used the Z8 for over 3 years. Reasonably good hardware, underwhelming software but it worked. I did not try the new processor but I did load up the new software as I was considering the purchase. The new software is garbage. It is unusable on a high res screen due to aspect ratio rescaling. You end up with a tiny widget on the screen with all the items bunched up on top of each other. That is such a junior mistake in 2020 that it was a deal breaker. Inexcusable in 2020. I write and test software for a living so I have some context in this space. Try and see for yourself. You can load it up and see it in offline mode.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
The new software is garbage. It is unusable on a high res screen due to aspect ratio rescaling. You end up with a tiny widget on the screen with all the items bunched up on top of each other. That is such a junior mistake in 2020 that it was a deal breaker. Inexcusable in 2020.
What physical size is your screen? Curious

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
I hear ya. I have to reduce my screen for most DSP

·
Registered
389 Posts
I hear ya. I have to reduce my screen for most DSP

Yup, and that just chaps my butt. Fiddling with resolution to make a piece of software work is unacceptable. It wrecks your desktop layout if you care about that. It shows Zapco didn't put their best on the software and it demonstrates lack of commitment to testing and general quality. The interface is what the customer sees and it shapes your perception of the product, which is why some companies really focus on that. Given that, what else did they cut corners on? There are some posts floating around about Zapco's instability on some of their products. The DSP control software is a relatively simple system to design, implement and test. Odds are, Zapco compressed the schedule to get the product out by cutting out testing at the end, or limited it and they shipped with inexcusable bugs. Common practice in software industry, which you can get away with sometime, if you can fix those bugs quickly and issue patches within days. Zapco isn't known for that hence my D+ grade on it. If a company will not issue frequent upgrades, the initial quality has to be very good.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So back to my original question does anyone know ornthink the lx/ap amps are better vs the c2k or the opposite or the same? I have a hard time justifying buying a ap amp when I like c2k and the used prices are alot better also. I like having 16v and symbilink. I like having a clip meters shown but that's just me.

·
Registered
767 Posts
THis has Nothing to do with AWD Lawn Mowers. But if it was me? Ziggy is SPOT ON! I'd rather wait for the good stuff that is tried and true then deal with BUGGY software.... And for the life of me, I never learned to Read code like I can read a Bad cable run or a faulty part.

About the amp Choice? I don't like giving blind advice. I have this thing where to me? the old gear was just MADE better from a Longevity standpoint.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts