DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having my system redone and am considering switching speakers.

I am currently running a 3-way front stage w/ all zapco

6.5'' cm - 8.165 - 500 watts
4'' ck - 10.2 - 180 watts
tweet kt - 8.25 - 100 watts

In the new set-up, I will be running them off of a zapco dc650.6 and dc1000.4

I am considering switching out the zapco's for the seas lotus reference 6.5'' rw165, 4'' rm120, and tweets RT27F's.

In addition, I am adding a dc1100.1 to run either 2 - R10B Zapco subs (existing) or 2 DIYMA 12's (just received)....that will be another thread.

What would you see as the pro's and con's of each set-up? I've had the zapco's for a couple of years and sometimes take for granted how great they sound. I've also heard the Seas and they sound fantastic.

My goal is SQL. I tend to play things at moderate volumes, but sometimes like to feel the music. I like hearing as much detail as possible and as natural as possible. I play everything except country...take that back, I actually have a few country tracks. The install is being done by Bing (SimplicityinSound) and his work is flawless.

I am also having a zapco DRC installed. Combine that with the processing power of the DC's and there is enough tuning flexibility to make your head spin.

I appreciate all of the constructive feedback I can get...Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Well, I can only comment on the RT27F tweeter. They will get loud and sound somewhat natural with very minimal distortion. Not as detailed as I would like though.

Not saying it's a bad tweeter, just not my taste. It seems it will do everything you want it to do for you though.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I prefer the zapcos and have used both sets. But theyre both great sets I just really think the ck tweeter is a gem.

I actually used the lotus rw165 and the zapco ck tweet for a year and that was a nice combo. I came across a new set of the ck 6.5" on here and just grabbed them and sold the lotus mids to go back to my original setup. The Seas sounded a lil cleaner and tighter but had less midbass than the ck woofers. Kinda the best of both worlds to use the lotus mids and ck tweeter.

Just my subjective opinion.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I prefer the zapcos and have used both sets. But theyre both great sets I just really think the ck tweeter is a gem.

I actually used the lotus rw165 and the zapco ck tweet for a year and that was a nice combo. I came across a new set of the ck 6.5" on here and just grabbed them and sold the lotus mids to go back to my original setup. The Seas sounded a lil cleaner and tighter but had less midbass than the ck woofers. Kinda the best of both worlds to use the lotus mids and ck tweeter.

Just my subjective opinion.
Thanks for the input...are you running a 3-way front stage? I'm running a 6.5, 4, an tweet...At this level, I know this stuff becomes very subjective. I drop the car off tomorrow for the 2-3 week install.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Thanks for the input...are you running a 3-way front stage? I'm running a 6.5, 4, an tweet...At this level, I know this stuff becomes very subjective. I drop the car off tomorrow for the 2-3 week install.
No mine was just a 2 way.

Id just keep the zapcos if the cost is an issue.

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
Hard to comment other than I truly think the Zapco/ESB drivers are some of the best out there. I truly loved mine. If you decide to switch to the Seas, pm me if you want to sell the Zapco's. ;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hard to comment other than I truly think the Zapco/ESB drivers are some of the best out there. I truly loved mine. If you decide to switch to the Seas, pm me if you want to sell the Zapco's. ;)
I don't plan on getting rid of anything for a while. I'll run the Seas for a while and will keep the Zapco's handy. No doubt they are a nice set...

I think I'm going with the ck tweet, lotus mids (6 and 4) and then run the diyma 12's off the dc1100.1

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No mine was just a 2 way.

Id just keep the zapcos if the cost is an issue.
Cost is always an issue, but i am going for it anyway:)

I was literally on life support this time last Friday and they didn't know if I would make it...way heavy stuff. Car speakers, not so heavy :) just want to try something different...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts