DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
18,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ll be running 2 DC1000.4’s and possibly the DRC controller. The plan is to have one set of RCAs coming out the headunit’s ‘Front’ output. The 2 amps will be using all 4 channels each, for a total of 8 channels. I think I understand how this works, but I wanted to get someone to double check.

1. I need the SLDIN-T.F (which according to the manual, one comes with each amp) to convert the non-balanced RCAs out of the headunit to usable symbilink din output, then I need the correct length din cable to go from that converter to the ‘first’ amp in the chain. Someone pointed out that you do have to use a converter (asked above) for each amp. So, I’d have to put one amp on the ‘front’ and one amp on the ‘rear’, I take it.

2. Regarding connecting the amps together, you do so via the networking cable? Is that it? Just a cat5 cable, I’m assuming? The software takes care of allowing you to split it up and recognizes automatically that you have 2 amps networked?

3. If you plan to use both PC and the DRC controller, how do these connect to your system overall? I’ve got the manual up and it seems that you can connect the PC directly to the DRC if you wanted, so say you had the DRC in dash… would you just leave a blank cable ran somewhere so that you can tie the PC into the DRC, or do you have to run a separate cable for both the PC and the DRC’s controls?
I’m not exactly sure how this works out since I don’t have this stuff on hand.

4. What cables (if any) come with these amps? If there's things I need to buy I need to know so I can order them.

If anyone can clear this up for me, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I’ll be running 2 DC1000.4’s and possibly the DRC controller. The plan is to have one set of RCAs coming out the headunit’s ‘Front’ output. The 2 amps will be using all 4 channels each, for a total of 8 channels. I think I understand how this works, but I wanted to get someone to double check.

1. I need the SLDIN-T.F (which according to the manual, one comes with each amp) to convert the non-balanced RCAs out of the headunit to usable symbilink din output, then I need the correct length din cable to go from that converter to the ‘first’ amp in the chain. Someone pointed out that you do have to use a converter (asked above) for each amp. So, I’d have to put one amp on the ‘front’ and one amp on the ‘rear’, I take it.

I would suggest to use one TP4 to feed the inputs of the amps.

2. Regarding connecting the amps together, you do so via the networking cable? Is that it? Just a cat5 cable, I’m assuming? The software takes care of allowing you to split it up and recognizes automatically that you have 2 amps networked?

The phone style cable comes with the amps. You will have to give each amp an 'address' on the network.

3. If you plan to use both PC and the DRC controller, how do these connect to your system overall? I’ve got the manual up and it seems that you can connect the PC directly to the DRC if you wanted, so say you had the DRC in dash… would you just leave a blank cable ran somewhere so that you can tie the PC into the DRC, or do you have to run a separate cable for both the PC and the DRC’s controls?
I’m not exactly sure how this works out since I don’t have this stuff on hand.

There is a connection on front of the DRC and the amps to gain access to the network thru any device on the network. The DRC connects to the network via the same phone cable style line. The DRC comes with a long cable to run upfront.

4. What cables (if any) come with these amps? If there's things I need to buy I need to know so I can order them.

You will need all Symba's. None are included. You cannot daisy chain the inputs from one amp to another as far as I know. Each amp will have to have at least one input.

If anyone can clear this up for me, I'd appreciate it.
Good Luck!

·
Banned
388 Posts
Haha that went well.
that's what I thought too, at first .... Kirks comments are included in the quoted part.

I just wanna work where Bikin does, good Lord that guy buys a whole new (expensive) system every few months.

·
18,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just wanna work where Bikin does, good Lord that guy buys a whole new (expensive) system every few months.

You’d be surprised. If it actually cost me that much money to switch out, I wouldn’t be doing it so much.
Buy good products, keep them in good condition, sell them for near what you paid. Be a good seller, back up your buyers if they need help and in the end, things work out. I work hard to save money. I use every resource available and I do my best to take care of things so they hold their value. That’s it.

‘sides, unlike most of you guys I don’t keep ANYTHING. As of now I own NO amps and no processing. All that was shipped out Tuesday. I’m waiting for something else to sale and then I’ll buy the new stuff. ONLY car audio gear I have is in my car; I don't have a stash in my back closet somewhere.
I don’t charge stuff on CC without having the money in hand, and I don’t spend more than my ‘allowance’ per month (which is cheap); I eat out once a week… blah blah blah.

In short I really don’t like when people assume things about my finances. You’re not the only one, Paul, so this isn’t taking aim just at you. It just annoys the crap out of me when people assume things they have no knowledge on at all. No one here sees my checkbook, my paypal account, or my credit card bills. I worked hard to pay off my car in under 2 years so I wouldn’t have any debt. That meant me not having anything in my car for a while… and I didn’t go out and buy clothes, or car mods, or computer gear… I’d get a paycheck, put it in the bank, head home and send the payment to Honda. I’m talking 70% of my paycheck, every paycheck. Just because I’m buying new things doesn’t mean I’m making buckoos $; it means I’m smart with what I do have.

/rant

·
Registered
675 Posts
I was gonna say that didn't seem like Kirk not to answer...

And Bikin I assume you sell a LOT of stuff to buy new toys judging by the FS threads you roll wtih ;)

·
18,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there's a few zapco team guys around here and I trust their input. two of my favorite cars run their amps (coincidence, maybe).

the draw is the built in dsp. I don't want an external processing unit right now. I'm really just wanting to go with a simple setup and few wires. thus, I chose the zapcos.

if you've got info you'd like to share, though, shoot me a pm, bud. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Id really love to find the answer to this same queston because I am looking to get a somewhat similar setup. I thought that the RCA's get converted to simbilink then to the DRC, and from the DRC back to amp A, then symbilink out to amp B in.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
The DRC is only for tuning, and has nothing to do with the signal chain. The "network" ports on the amps are for programming, not for signal input.

Kirk confirmed that the inputs cannot be daisy-chained. You need an input going into at least one of each amp's symbilink inputs, just like you would with any other amp.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The inputs and the networking are two totally different things. The signal goes into the amp just like any other. The network allows you to work with the DSP thru a laptop/DRC. Instead of having to plug a laptop/DRC into each DC piece they are linked together. You just tap into one piece in the chain and you can go in and out of each DC piece. There are also global settings so you can change certain things in each piece on the network at the same time.

K

·
Registered
237 Posts
The SLDIN cable goes from input on amp1 to SLDIn.t.f which connects to the headunit. on amp two same thing. so you need two SLDIN cables and the two SLDIN.t.f modules that come with the amps. As far as running the network of amps...you use the I/O data cat 5 connection from amp one to PC, and then connect another cat 5 from amp to amp.

·
18,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright. Is it a cat5 or cat3 cable? Also, does it come with the amps? If not, I'll need to pick one up when I order the usb cable.

·
Registered
99 Posts
AHH, that makes alot more sense.. Thanks for the clarification.
And cat5 is the standard and i think you might find it hard to get cat3. I would just go with the cat5 as long as the jacks on the amps are RJ-45

1 - 20 of 31 Posts