DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience with Zapco DC amps or Hertz Mille's? Specifically DC 360.4, 500.1 and Hertz MLK 2TW? Just looking for impressions/opinions. Found a good deal on them, and curious. I like good midbass up front and clarity but not over harsh or crisp. Listen to jazzy/vocal mostly with some rock/pop/country. More SQ oriented than volume or bass. Any feedback is MUCH appreciated.

·
Registered
230 Posts
im not sure what you want to know really, but i could tell you anything you want to know about the zapco stuff. im a zapco dealer at a car audio shop. the dc reference amplifiers are wonderful amplifiers, because of their internal processors. however you cant even use the amplifiers to just amplify signal, unless you have a computer with the dpn software uploaded. so, if you have a computer (hopefully with windows xp) you should eventually be able to control your system to be better sounding than you could with any passive control. so, if you are looking for sq, thats the amp to go with, just keep in mind its a little bit of a process to get the amplifier to work with the computer correctly, but once you do, you can do parametric equalizing, time alignment, hpf, lpf, and like a million other things.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I was looking at the Zapco DCR, but the mega-buck price tag turned me off. I opted for the Kicker SX amps (which are likely a little more low-buck, but still great quality...and can do 1/12 octave EQ'ing).

If you found a deal on those Zapco amps, I'd definitely opt for them! The fact that you don't need to complicate things with external processing, or to neuter your flexibility, is a beautiful thing!

Eric

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input so far, guys. I don't know very much about the amps and never knew they had integral DSP or even considered Zapco until I made contact with this gentleman. I too was turned off by the price at first. But I was considering a bit one or MS8 coupled with Memphis or arc amps or something along those lines. With the deal this Guy is offering, I can get both amps for the same as an MS8 and run of the mill amps. So, I figured this would be an obvious choice. I do have a laptop running windows 7. I can gain access to an XP if win7 is a no-go. I have been educating myself quite a bit with crossover and DSP stuff, but still consider myself a very novice noob. I don't mind investing the time to tune and set up, especially if the end result is breathtaking. But if I need to have expert knowledge in order to make those amps reach their potential, then I need to look elsewhere. As of right now, the plan is Hertz Mille front stage full active, Zapco amps and either Skar, FI, Sundown or SSA subs. All installation will be done by myself. Do you think with some time, I can get them dialed in, or maybe they're a little advanced for me?

·
Registered
172 Posts
subscribed. I am absolutely interested in the zapco quality. please educate me....

·
Registered
230 Posts
I know you won't regret the zapcos. They are high end amplifiers, when it comes to their specs, and as far as comparing them to a bit one, they will pretty much do all of that, only its built in instead. They won't tune themselves like an ms8, but I like tuning my own stuff personally. And yeah you don't need to worry about actually having the knowledge to run it, because once its up and running, its easy to use and the screen shows everything clearly, nothing confusing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the input, steffaanan. I checked out the build too, looks pretty awesome. I'm really excited about the zapcos and the Hertz stuff as well. But I am pretty apprehensive. This will by far be the largest investment that I have ever made on audio gear. I am pretty certain the equipment wont disappoint, but worried I wont be able to get everything dialed in to the full potential. Also a little worried about getting immitation or black market gear. The seller has done nothing to raise suspicion, I have just heard & read a lot of horror stories.

Oh, and since you are a dealer yourself, I am looking for some prices on install gear. I have priced stinger & knu konceptz.I can get stinger pretty cheap, but need to try and shave a little more off to leave some wiggle room. Do you carry install stuff? If you are interested, I can get a list to you for a quote.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I appreciate the input, steffaanan. I checked out the build too, looks pretty awesome. I'm really excited about the zapcos and the Hertz stuff as well. But I am pretty apprehensive. This will by far be the largest investment that I have ever made on audio gear. I am pretty certain the equipment wont disappoint, but worried I wont be able to get everything dialed in to the full potential. Also a little worried about getting immitation or black market gear. The seller has done nothing to raise suspicion, I have just heard & read a lot of horror stories.

Oh, and since you are a dealer yourself, I am looking for some prices on install gear. I have priced stinger & knu konceptz.I can get stinger pretty cheap, but need to try and shave a little more off to leave some wiggle room. Do you carry install stuff? If you are interested, I can get a list to you for a quote.
getting imitation gear is rare, but here's what happened to me with a zapco amplifier once. i bought a reference 1000.4 from a user from this site named bullet. he sucks. i got the amplifier, and its two rear channels were shot, or the switch controlling them was shot at least. i tried contacting him, but he wouldnt respond. so, i went to send the amplifier into zapco to get it fixed, and even me, a dealer, wasnt able to send it in, because the amp was purchased originally from woofersetc.com supposedly, and they took off the original serial numbers, and replaced them with bogus ones. so here's all you need to do. contact the seller of the zapco stuff, ask them for the serial number from the bottom of the amp, then you give zapco a quick call, and ask them if its legitimate. their number is 800-473-6723, and it will go straight to a person, probably mike actually. as far as you being able to tune it correctly, i really wouldn't worry about it if i were you. as far as knowlege of how to use the specific zapco program, its not hard to figure out. its laid out very user friendly. as far as tuning in general, its better to have than to not have. you can at least tune it as nice as you could without any processing. bottom line, its great to have, and even if you don't tune like a pro, it won't take long. its not so advanced that you can't just sit down and listen, make a change, listen, make a change and so forth. and yeah we sell install stuff, but we mostly carry stinger. we have some cheaper stuff, but its not as nice as knu conceptz or stinger. those are high end install supplies, and if you need to shave off the price, just go lower end in the equipment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts