DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions form those who have heard or used both. Which one is the SQ king, and pros & cons of each unit?

·
Premium Member
11,410 Posts
Haven't heard a Bit One, but 2 things it has going for it out of the box over the DSP-6 is it can do a 4 way system, and it has the ability to do 48 dB/oct XO slopes.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I will be trying out the Bit One soon and I will post some observations for you. I have also used the Zapco DSP Processor and Amps extensively. Gimme about a month!

·
18,681 Posts
I have zapco amps and had the bit one... well, still have a bit one but it's at Audison so I don't have it in my possession. :/

Just a quick rundown, and I bolded what I think are important features to both.

The above is correct... you're comparing 6 channel active to 8 channel active. Slope features are also different (48db on the audison as mentioned).

Audison:
x-over slopes up to 48db in 6db steps.
Currently cannot use different slopes on each end in 'bandpass' mode
Set x-over points to choose from (ie: can't choose your own)

Can t/a in .02ms increments.
Can EQ in 0.2dB increments.
+/- 12dB on EQ
Digi coax and toslink inputs.
Controller comes with it.
4 presets can be called up from the controller; no need to pull out a laptop when switching to a different setting.
Fixed 31 band graphic EQ per channel.
Non-Balanced input
CAN NOT use the DRC (controller) to make changes; only fade/balance/sub/preset callup. You can only use the laptop to make changes.

Zapco:
x-over slopes up to 24db in 6db steps
Different slopes on each end in bandpass mode
Can type in your own x-over point
(can't remember t/a increments)
EQ adjustments made in only full 1dB steps.
+/- 18dB for EQ steps
Toslink only (can be modded for digi coax, though)
Controller (DRC-SL) must be bought separately (an extra $200+ depending on used/new)
Can type in EQ points (ie: not fixed EQ bands)
10 band Parametric EQ per channel: Can type in Q (EQ curve) from 0.5 (REALLY wide) to 9.0 (very steep)

*keep in mind if you bridge a set of channels you actually have 20 bands of EQ for that driver*
Balanced input
Can make changes with the DRC. Nice +.
Both:
PC control
Can store multiple settings on PC (kind of a 'duh')

If anyone can think of others, feel free to add.

·
Registered
962 Posts
BitOne has a better sound, more dynamic, and an overall crisper/cleaner influence at higher volume then the DSP6.

I did a swap from the Zapco to the BitOne, kept the same crossover settings in theory minus bandpass and EQ on each channel, and their is a drastic difference IMO. Even my GF bluntly noticed the difference for the better and that says a lot to me .

·
18,681 Posts
I haven't tried to directly copy the settings from my bit one to the zapco.

I must say, though... how were you able to do that given the 10 band EQ on the zapco? The sub and midbass are the only drivers I could get to fit the exact bands I had covered in the audison because they cover fewer than 10 octaves.
If you ever did any EQ outside the x-over then I don't see how you can do apples to apples unless you didn't use more than 10 of your 31 bands on each driver. Not saying you can't do it... just not sure how you were able to. ;)

I do believe that the audison (despite the alt whine) sounded VERY nice... possibly better than the zapco, but as I said, I haven't been able to match the exact same settings as the audison so I can't give a fair comparison. :/

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
I haven't tried to directly copy the settings from my bit one to the zapco.

I must say, though... how were you able to do that given the 10 band EQ on the zapco? The sub and midbass are the only drivers I could get to fit the exact bands I had covered in the audison because they cover fewer than 10 octaves.
If you ever did any EQ outside the x-over then there's no way you can do apples to apples. Not saying you can't do it... just not sure how you were able to. ;)

I do believe that the audison (despite the alt whine) sounded VERY nice... possibly better than the zapco, but as I said, I haven't been able to match the exact same settings as the audison so I can't give a fair comparison. :/
We also don't know the exact Q of the graphic EQ bands on the Bit One.

·
18,681 Posts
I will go a bit further and say how much I LOVED audison's interface.
Man, the way you could control the channel levels (and mute them) was so nice and that was also in 0.2db levels, too. The zapco's interface is a bit harder to navigate (imo) and the levels can only be changed in full 1dB increments.

It's really tough to say which one is better. The audison has so many features and is much more refined regarding the level of adjustability (0.2dB steps).
But, the ability of the zapco to manually TYPE in your x-over and EQ points is friggin' awesome.

I know this is off topic, but the h701 is really the only unit directly comparable to the bit one... and the bit one walks all over it imo.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BitOne has a better sound, more dynamic, and an overall crisper/cleaner influence at higher volume then the DSP6.

I did a swap from the Zapco to the BitOne, kept the same crossover settings in theory minus bandpass and EQ on each channel, and their is a drastic difference IMO. Even my GF bluntly noticed the difference for the better and that says a lot to me .

I was affraid of that. I currently have the DSP6 & believe that the Alto moble drive30 sounded better. I got rid of the drive30 because of the famous noise issue.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will be trying out the Bit One soon and I will post some observations for you. I have also used the Zapco DSP Processor and Amps extensively. Gimme about a month!

Cool, keep us posted!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Sorry guys, I was too vague on my initial post. For the EQ portion settings, I did not transfer them over. My intial post said minus EQ and bandpass since the latter isn't an option somewhat. I simply took out the DSP6 and put in the Audison BitOne, did the setup and crossovers, and hit play. :)

That said, and I've been hesitant to really review both units, there truly is a difference. And as Bikinpunk mentioned, once you throw the user interface in the loop, you'll be hooked.

Oddly enough, I'm still thinking about the DSP6 for a 2 way in the gfs ride. It is a great unit.

·
Registered
515 Posts
As much as either unit is nice, I am going to go with a Behringer DCX2496 over either of them. The Behringer is more flexible, cheaper and if needed can string multiple units together for huge systems, think 6 way active from 2 units, with the price for 2 units still being less than 1 Bit One or DSP6.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I do believe that the audison (despite the alt whine) sounded VERY nice...
Is this a prevalent problem? I mean that's a huge negative to me, .2steps on the EQ. versus rpm dependent wine....hmmm

I'm in the middle of a system change. It seems since the H701 came out not much really happened, and it still has the very best interface with no additional laptops needed, control units with tiny screens etc, just your double din at the fingertip...anytime. The Bit one might have the goods but looks really buggy to me.

·
18,681 Posts
Is this a prevalent problem? I mean that's a huge negative to me, .2steps on the EQ. versus rpm dependent wine....hmmm

I'm in the middle of a system change. It seems since the H701 came out not much really happened, and it still has the very best interface with no additional laptops needed, control units with tiny screens etc, just your double din at the fingertip...anytime. The Bit one might have the goods but looks really buggy to me.
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...some-coffee-take-nap.html?highlight=bikinpunk

Shouldn’t be an issue with the newer ones coming out. When that one hits, I have a feeling people will then be clamoring to buy one; it’s really that nice of a unit. I’ve already replaced my setup with Zapco dc ref amps, though.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Sorry for the thread jacking but between the DC Ref and the Ref, is there a difference in sound, components? Or the only difference is the tunning ability with the DCs?

Sorry again, just thinking about a new setup,
Kelvin

1 - 20 of 52 Posts