DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has experience in the different ST-4X amps from Zapco? Specifically, do the upgrades in the SQ models offer a significant improvement? Also, I read an unflattering review of their DSP's integrated with these amps. On their site it states that the DSP only has HP and LP crossover options. I assume I would be better off with a seperate DSP for more control options?

Sorry for the noob questions yet again, lol.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has experience in the different ST-4X amps from Zapco? Specifically, do the upgrades in the SQ models offer a significant improvement? Also, I read an unflattering review of their DSP's integrated with these amps. On their site it states that the DSP only has HP and LP crossover options. I assume I would be better off with a seperate DSP for more control options?

Sorry for the noob questions yet again, lol.
Really depends on what you prefer and what you are looking for. In this price range, you’d be hard pressed to find an amp that sounds better than the Zapco as most in this range are Class D and focus on power output into low impedance loads (bang for the buck).

If you’re concerned with overall sound quality, go for the SQ line as Zapco used higher quality components for exceptional sound quality. I own a ST-5X II and love it on Morels (there isn’t a 5 channel SQ version).

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you're interested in class A/B on a budget then Toro amplifiers are an option as well. I like mine just fine, but my equipment is not very high end.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
So it seems you didn’t have a Zapco in your test mix.

At the price range we’re discussing, there is likely a noticeable difference between a Class D amp and the Zapcos which are AB.

-Eric

I did near the end of that. It’s an ok amp so you should be fine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I did near the end of that. It’s an ok amp so you should be fine.
Sorry - didn’t realize your thread was so long and I missed the Zapco until I really read through - Tapatalk isn’t always the best option.

-Eric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts