DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to post the info Zapco had uploaded to their Facebook page for anyone using or considering these DSPs. Other manufactures have modular based hardware designs that "can be upgraded" yet seem to be dismissed as a way to more cost effectively repair equipment. It's nice when the "upgrades" actually come to fruition.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would be tough to get someone with a properly installed system, worthy of that type of processing to try both & have them each properly tuned to see if you could "hear" a difference. If you need 16ch of processing, besides going with a single unit- where else do you go?
I do think Zapco left a big hole between 8-16ch. 10 & 12 are common; hopefully they'll address that soon so the prices are more competitive with equivalent gear.

I am looking forward to Mullings impressions pre & post DAC swap

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just out of curiosity what Amps is everyone here connecting to their DSP? I currently have a Zapco 150.6 LX running my front stage. I believe this is only rated at signal to noise ratio of 90db.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This was the response I received:

Tylor McVey

The first batch has just finished as we had many back-orders to fulfill. A second batch will be available soon (in less than 30 days). The best thing is to book one from your dealer, to have priority on the next availability. One kit is for 8 channels, 2 kits for 16 channels

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
At $2400.00 that HDSP-Z16 looks like it will run circles around the Helix DSP Ultra.
Not sure why you say that, the helix has some good features the zapco doesn’t have… all pass filters anywhere you like for a start, you can’t do that in the zapco, input analyser and eq inc all pass as well, rta built into the software, auto timing built in also, I’m not saying the helix is better, but it’s xceptional for lots of reasons

In terms of pure sq… I couldn’t say without trying them back to back, but leaping to such a conclusion based on a dac swap… not really a thing for me

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe what evo9 meant is with the higher price, you would assume the product is better/ more capable.
Better is subjective; more capable is also, based on what you require/ expect. I've heard the pros/cons debate that usually suggests the Helix units have "what people want" moreover others. I am of the camp that if the product works & the tuner is experienced with it, they are both quality & capable products. Customer support is less subjective & an important consideration. If you need tech support & can't receive it, that's a big "con".

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just out of curiosity what Amps is everyone here connecting to their DSP? I currently have a Zapco 150.6 LX running my front stage. I believe this is only rated at signal to noise ratio of 90db.
Yes, the 150.6LX have SNR of 90db. 150.6SP has a 104db SNR, 150.6AP has a 110db SNR for their "top end" amplifiers

·
Registered
881 Posts
Maybe what evo9 meant is with the higher price, you would assume the product is better/ more capable.
Better is subjective; more capable is also, based on what you require/ expect. I've heard the pros/cons debate that usually suggests the Helix units have "what people want" moreover others. I am of the camp that if the product works & the tuner is experienced with it, they are both quality & capable products. Customer support is less subjective & an important consideration. If you need tech support & can't receive it, that's a big "con".

Exactly that. Is the Zapco HDSP-Z16 a bridge between the Helix ultra & the Brax DSP?

·
Registered
2011 Prius rsx gs9>apl1 >helix dsp ultra>2 brax mx4’s &jl Audio 600/1> full focal Utopia m
843 Posts
Not sure why you say that, the helix has some good features the zapco doesn’t have… all pass filters anywhere you like for a start, you can’t do that in the zapco, input analyser and eq inc all pass as well, rta built into the software, auto timing built in also, I’m not saying the helix is better, but it’s xceptional for lots of reasons

In terms of pure sq… I couldn’t say without trying them back to back, but leaping to such a conclusion based on a dac swap… not really a thing for me
Right out the box the zapco sounds more dynamic and transparent than the ultra, user interface wise the helix runs circles around the zapco’s but unless you’re stupid you’ll still be able to get the job done. Even with the high level signal from my oem radio this thing works wonders. The helix is good the Brax is much better than the helix but IMO the zapco has them both beat

·
Registered
80 Posts
This was the response I received:

Tylor McVey

The first batch has just finished as we had many back-orders to fulfill. A second batch will be available soon (in less than 30 days). The best thing is to book one from your dealer, to have priority on the next availability. One kit is for 8 channels, 2 kits for 16 channels
So I need to book one through my dealer. Im in Seattle. Im not aware of any dealers up here. Businesses are listed as "dealers" but they don't actually carry any Zapco stuff.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This is the unfortunate reply I got from my local "dealer"
Thank you for your reply. I spoke to our Zapco rep and it is not a normal stocking part that they get so unfortunately we would not be able to backorder 2 for you, I apologize.

Regards,
Ayse R. @ HID Kit Pros
Im hoping someone on here is a dealer that can help me get these

1 - 20 of 28 Posts