DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone threw out the idea of using a Zapco Reference 1000.4 to run my midbass (150x2) and sub (500x1) off of 1 amp. Anyone have experience with these that would be able to do some sort of A/B comparison?

Considering running all Zapco Reference instead of Butler depending on further research. Swap the 360.4 for the Butler 475

Opinions?

·
Registered
415 Posts
MmMmmmMm...Tube Driver BLUE......

even my friend regrets me selling mine! :(

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since the midbass and subs would only be running from about 200Hz down, is there a reason the TDB is worth almost $800 more vs. a single 1000.4? I still think I want to run the mid and tweet off of a TDB

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Well....I doubt anyone can get into a sonic difference debate because you will have to decide that for yourself but.....

The Zapco is going to be a more powerful setup so that is the way to go if clean power is what you are after. A no brainer! ;)

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
TubeDriver Blue are hand made tube amps from a small company that I am sure sells a lot less amps than Zapco so that is where the high price comes from.

If you like the TubeDriver then why listen to someone else? Use it to run your mids and tweets and get a more powerful amp for the midbass and subs. That seems to make sense.

When you get into tubes vs. transistors someone else’s opinion does not really matter. Don't waste your time with other opinions on comparisons or worth of products.

Tubes vs. Transistors = amps
Apples vs. Oranges = fruit

You need to experience it for yourself to see if it is what you are after. If you are curious about tubes and can't hear one in person then you might as well make a choice on your own.....bite the bullet buy it and try it OR stick with transistors.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The only time I have heard a major difference between a well designed tube circuit, vs. a well designed SS circuit, would be in the preamp of a musical instrument amplifier where the tubes are purposely overdriven to induce distortion. SS just doesn't have that overdriven tube sound dialed in yet... there are some good SS tube emulators, but they aren't quite on the money.

In an audio amplifier, the point is to amplify with the least distortion, so as long as you have enough power to drive your speakers to the desired level without driving the amplifier in to distortion, the architecture of the amplifier shouldn't matter a lot(theoretically, many will debate this).

·
Registered
415 Posts
MmMmmmMm...Apples...... :D

that same friend thought he could not hear the differences either..but he sure did after i swaped them out for him...

The Zapco that i used, didnt really seem more powerful then any other decent amps ive used around the same power rating..

Id also try to get the most power to my midbasses and subs.

TDB's arent really that expensive...from an "Tube amp" point of view...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My "Dream setup" would be a TDB 475 and a pair of TDB2150's

But since that would cost upwards of $2300, I could get 1 TDB 475 and 1 Zapco 1000.4 for about $800 less. I could get the Zapco 360.4 and 1000.4 for about half the cost of the TDB setup.

But I love the sound of the TDB amps. I want to keep one for the mid and tweet at least. The other option is buy 1 TDB and a couple of cheaper amps to run the midbass and sub and upgrade 1 at a time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts