DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help with the decision / direction of my SQ build.

Ok, I'm a noob here and a long time lurker. I have multiple questions but will try to make it all short and sweet. I have built systems before, but it has been a few years, I also spent some time doing pro audio for the USAF. I only say this so, you can feel comfortable taking off the gloves, if necessary.

I have aquired a decent stash of gear for my build but I'm not opposed to swapping a few things out. I have a 2003 Jag S Type R, currently in the process of deading and sealing for an IB install of 2 JL 12W6V3's. I kind of need to/ want to keep the factory HU because it has navigation and controls the HVAC for the car. This can be changed but its not my first choice. I have an Alpine PXA-H701 since the factory dsp will be of no use.

Amps available for the build : PPI black Art 600.2, Art 404, Zapco Studio 500 and Studio 150, Hifonics Zeus VIII, Orion XTR 500.4 (got it for $40!) Anything not used in this build will probably end up in my '93 Landcruiser

I would like to use the Studio 500 For the front stage because of its clarity. If I'm to go active this amp would power the doors and use another amp to power tweeters (location unknown until I can ride around for a few weeks, deciding where I like them) For the mids I have a set of Hertz Mille ML 1600's rated at 250 max. The Zapco is rated at 250 x 2 at 4ohms. I'm afraid this my damage the mids (yes, I know i can turn the gain down). BUT I WANNA ROCK! :)

So here's the question (finally), Should I build a passive crossover and include a set of tweets in the door as well as a second location that will be active? Should I build a crossover and make a dedicated midbass (can I aveerage 4 ohms by doing this?). I have several sets of tweeters that could be incorporated depending on power needs. Or should I upgrade to something other than the Hertz?

Tweeter options include: Hertz ET 26.5, MB Quart 19HX (anyone have specs on these monsters?), Alpine type R SPR-10TW

Any configuration suggestions are welcome as well as gear swap outs. I would love to go all Zapco studio amps, but funds and the ability to find the amps are both restrictive.

Sorry if this was long winded but I wanted to cover most of the bases.

Thanks in advance!

Al

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I'm a big fan of amplifier semetry, but I don't see how to achieve it in your build. nothing wrong with mixing and matching but its just weird astheticly to me.

I think I'd bridge the ppi 404 into the hertz mill mids, find a passive xover that hertz makes for there tweeters, and then bridge the 600.2 into the two subs, since with ib you don't need nearly the power you'd need for a sealed box.

you could also use the ppi amps for the front stage, and run the jl subs stereo off the zapco studio 500, which would end up going active which is always fun, and having more power on tap for the subs if you wanted it.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the input!
I don't like mixing and matching either, but as time goes on I can swap things around. I've used the 404 bridged on a set of the 1600's before and loved it. They have no problem handling the power without using a passive setup and tweeters.

I have no problem building my own crossover networks, for better power handling (hertz are extremely expensive and only rated at 150w, I believe) I had thought of using a studio 300x for the mids (haven't found one yet) and the 150 for the tweets in an active setup or the 600.2 and the 404, respectively.

I think I'm just itching to be ridiculous and use the 500 for the front, somehow in an active set up.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
put it on the midbasses and wire the jls stereo on the 600.2 then, no harm in this approach either just doesn't distribute the power as I'd probably do..but I like bass..a lot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts