DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been talking with a dealer, and with the maker of zed audio for a month and a half now, i just recieved my first product, the ZED leviathan III, which is a beast of an amp, at 230 watts rms X6. ive been hearing so much negativity in the past couple days in chat, I'd really love to hear your storys about ZED, be them possative or negative, i think this will be a good thread to air out the myths and truth, to me ive already been convinced the integrity of these products. i just invested in a 950$ amp on this whim. so lets hear your feelings and experiences dealing with and aroudn ZED audio. once i finily get a chance to get this amp into my system I will be posting a reveiew on it of course, as many of us have by now found the old thread for the version 1 of this amp that had a chip issue where it was spiking while turning on, this particular problem of course has been resolved.

post your storys here, negative or possative, lets air it out and give ZED a chance to represent him self to get rid of all the what ifs about this brand.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
did we really need this?

his new stuff looks very very nice. the last models looked nice as well. It appears he put out the new line with a mad vengeance. all of them are even better and stronger.

$950 for an amp is steep though but you have what amounts to 2 or 3 amps here so its not too far off.

The negatives we have heard about are more service related than product quality related too me.

His new stuff I like. his old stuff I like.

I just wouldnt send one of my amps to have it worked on. I know a better place or two that I trust and will not have to deal with any bad service.

congrats on the new monster. its a beauty

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did we really need this?

his new stuff looks very very nice. the last models looked nice as well. It appears he put out the new line with a mad vengeance. all of them are even better and stronger.

$950 for an amp is steep though but you have what amounts to 2 or 3 amps here so its not too far off.

The negatives we have heard about are more service related than product quality related too me.

His new stuff I like. his old stuff I like.

I just wouldnt send one of my amps to have it worked on. I know a better place or two that I trust and will not have to deal with any bad service.

congrats on the new monster. its a beauty
did we need it? no, did i want to see it, yes :)

thanks for the reply, very informative. allot of the complaints im getting are from service issues, chris B seems to really have something out for him, hoping he shares his story, but I have been dealing with him, he's been a very dry, cut to the point kinda personality, so i could see dealing with that a problem, but its a great personality for a business.

thanks for that post btw howard, subtle and to the point. if you do have a story though, feel free to share it though :)

·
Registered
781 Posts
I currently run a gen 1 leviathan and minotaur. I had no issues with it, but once some colder weather came along I seemed to have a slight pop at turn on. I spoke with him and though he was dry in personality he was very professional. I sent the amp in and he took care of the issue. He also cleaned up my Kronos while the system was down. It worked out fine since I was back east for sales meetings and not in the car anyways. I will be buying a new leviathan and putting the old one in the wifes ride. Love this amp. No issues with Steve whatsoever. Happy Nut Hugging Zed Customer.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I agree. I had talked to him years ago all the time. Always bugging him about what he had in stock. That was before the first zed line.

He was short and to the point. I am sure he won't even remember me at all.

like his amps though. I do

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, thats the exact impression i got from him.

by the way, here are pictures of the amp i just got from him. very well packed, and even thought it went ground it was in great shape.

·
Registered
898 Posts
What version is that? ^

Looks like a rev 1 as i had a rev 2 and now a rev 3.

My experience was beyond great.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its a III I was told it was at least

·
Registered
898 Posts
I will post pics of my 3 later but now this is weird. I got a Pre-production 3 but with all the goods of a 3 and then some.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
its a beauty. cant dispute that. no matter what you think about Zed.

its is a work of art.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will post pics of my 3 later but now this is weird. I got a Pre-production 3 but with all the goods of a 3 and then some.
yeah, from what i understood, this was one of the first dozen to be built, if not the first hand full. but idk, i know its not the II. the transformers aren't all lined up like they are on the II.

thats the II, this is the I

on botht he transformers are all lined up, mine are def not lined up lol

·
Registered
781 Posts
^^^^ WH WH WH WHAT??? Not like in the picture??? I can hear the bashers coming already. This will not stand. This is unacceptable.

·
Registered
898 Posts
What the hell >_<. Now I know you have a 3, I had a 2, but it looks like a 2 but with a few different parts attached to it but I don't have the donut location of the 3.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What the hell >_<. Now I know you have a 3, I had a 2, but it looks like a 2 but with a few different parts attached to it but I don't have the donut location of the 3.
the donut location? you mean the big one? well if you notice, that big one never changes in the I, II, and III but in the III its very very beefy.

he has rated this amp as 190x6, but he said he really is doing more like 220-240 rms x6 he also said bridged it does something beastly like 800 watts.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
that is a big fat toroid in there for sure.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Is there a reason most of the dials are recessed so far in while a couple of them are not? Should I dare not ask anything in public or else be attacked for improper grammar and spelling? I don't know the internal workings of ZED, but the proof is in the pudding. Unless there is a technical reason for some of the dials to be set so far in while others are not, and at least in my version both recessed and uncentered, then there is a QC problem. Amps coming out of other audio companies with these problems would be considered B stock, if sold at all.

If that's to be expected of hand made amps, then lesson learned. I have no complaints with the amp's performance. IMO it can't be beat watts/dollar wise. But going off of the pics above, for $900 ducats and the third version, it doesn't look very good.

I don't promote bashing, but the guy personally attacks people when they point out problems with his products. Instead of addressing obvious QC issues, Mr. Mantz dismisses naysayers as obviously not knowing what they're talking about because they never witnessed firsthand how ZED operates in house. Just make products without crooked fitting dials and there won't be any complaints and no need for personal attacks.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is there a reason most of the dials are recessed so far in while a couple of them are not? Should I dare not ask anything in public or else be attacked for improper grammar and spelling? I don't know the internal workings of ZED, but the proof is in the pudding. Unless there is a technical reason for some of the dials to be set so far in while others are not, and at least in my version both recessed and uncentered, then there is a QC problem. Amps coming out of other audio companies with these problems would be considered B stock, if sold at all.

If that's to be expected of hand made amps, then lesson learned. I have no complaints with the amp's performance. IMO it can't be beat watts/dollar wise. But going off of the pics above, for $900 ducats and the third version, it doesn't look very good.

I don't promote bashing, but the guy personally attacks people when they point out problems with his products. Instead of addressing obvious QC issues, Mr. Mantz dismisses naysayers as obviously not knowing what they're talking about because they never witnessed firsthand how ZED operates in house. Just make products without crooked fitting dials and there won't be any complaints and no need for personal attacks.
well we're litelry talking about hand made products, he has no assembly line, their are many methods to soldering multible items to a circuit bored, i do not know if he utalizes the technoligy or doe sit all by hand i could not tell you.

but friend, this is the first production of the III, i'm one of the FIRST people with this amp at all. so idk what your talking about veribles in production.

he isn't the best person to talk to thats for sure, he hasn't gotten back to me about spec questions, the only way ive gotten real info about the exact specs of the new version is from my rep over their who talks to him personally.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts