DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I'd go with hd. Rock solid amp plus easy on alt. Whats not to like? Well....besides the price anyway.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
another point, the jl is 150x4 and the dreadnought is 225x4 and i am planning on using it on dynaudio esotec 342s (200w rms) so taking that into consideration, what do you all think?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Zed products should be every bit as good as (if not better than) the JL products. The Zed amp actually might just edge out the JL amp in efficiency if you're worried about strain on your alternator, and given your power needs I'd go with the Dreadnought.

·
Registered
98 Posts
There is no comparison. Zed will kill an HD. Its technology is superior, sorry JL...

Steve Mantz makes an excellent product, and his goal was to make the best sounding - most powerful amps on the 12v market. In which I believe he has.

Look around for user reviews on their current amps, they all use the same technology, just different size power supplies. You will find most reviews to be positive. In fact, havent seen a negative.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I wish I could buy one of these new sees but I will have to settle for a mmats sq4160 instead. While big , it cost me half or less than a new zed and it's no dog either

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I just bought a Leviathan from Stephen about 2 weeks ago. I felt extrememly comfortable buying from him. I think the customer service will be excellent... well, hopefully it will never need to be serviced. I cant say anything for the JL because I have never used one. But the build quality on the Zed is awesome. Good luck with your choice and let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So far I am really leaning toward the Dreadnought over the HD because it pushes out about 75w more power per channel and from what I have seen it is very well built and high quality. I also like the aesthetics of it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
This will be my new midbass amp, bridged of course.
Can you say headroom?
I thought you could.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Did you ever decide on what amp to get? I am buying some Dynaudio 242s soon and have been looking for an amp or amps to power them.

I have been looking at the Dreadnought and it seems impressive, I like the strong output for the speakers (I'll need them to keep up with my IDMax! :) ). So any feedback on your choice and the results would be awesome!

Also did you change anything on the tweets so they don't have too much power?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey, I originally bought the dreadnought and biamped my speakers (mw on 2 channels and mids+tweets on other 2 using the passive crossover) and I loved it. The amp is excellent quality and was great for my setup. But since I am running a 3 way system, I decided I wanted to run everything active so I traded my dreadnought in for a leviathan 3 last week and that's what I have now. since you are doing a 2 way setup the dreadnought will perfect for you. I didn't do anything to protect the tweeter because I emailed dynaudio about their power handling capabilities and was informed that they test all of their speakers up to 800-1000 watts per driver so there is no issue with overpowering them. Let me know how everything goes and what you decide on. If you need anything else just let me know and I'd be glad to help.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Did you ever decide on what amp to get? I am buying some Dynaudio 242s soon and have been looking for an amp or amps to power them.

I have been looking at the Dreadnought and it seems impressive, I like the strong output for the speakers (I'll need them to keep up with my IDMax! :) ). So any feedback on your choice and the results would be awesome!

Also did you change anything on the tweets so they don't have too much power?

I ran my Dyn 342 set on a Lev and an HD600/4 and I'm happier with the 600/4. Lower noise floor and it seems to be just a little more powerful or at least more dynamic. Obviously the Dred has more power than the Lev so your results may vary.

The HD will supply all the power you need for the 242 set but I like headroom as well. Also, the JL seemed to sound a little cleaner when pushed to it's max vs the Lev that would distort or break up near the limit. But again, that additional headroom of the Dred would make it a hard choice. I doubt you would be disappointed with either amp. The factor that made it easy for me was I needed an amp that would fit under my seats and the JL is smaller.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts