DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ZED, ZUKI, ZAPCO, Phoenix Gold Elite, DSP's OH MY...HELP ME CHOOSE!

Hey guys i'm a novice at this and i'm trying to make a decision on an amp for my front and rear components and a DSP..be kind!

I have Focal K2 Power 165KRX2 for the front and rear and was thinking about running them active.

I have been looking at offerings from ZED, ZUKI, ZAPCO Z-LX, Phoenix Gold Elite...I would like to stay under $900.00 for the amp for sure. I am open to other suggestions as well, but if possible would like to buy American. I really don't want to have a discussion about American vs import, but I am open to import models also.

Also, need help choosing a DSP. Would like to go active for the whole set up, but that would require a 10 CH DSP from what I understand. Right now the only ones I see available are from Helix (DSP PRO 2) and Audio Control and I would probably go Helix due to the remote control being more dynamic but they are expensive.

Was thinking about Alpine PXA h800 (8ch), but not sure how I would run the setup...do I use all 8 ch to run the components active and leave the subwoofer off of the DSP (is that possible) or would I run the front active, rear passive plus the subwoofer?

Thanks in advance...I appreciate your constructive and informative suggestions!

·
Banned
2,276 Posts
A few things.
Zuki has horrible customer service. ZED isn't much better.
You will want the DSP to control everything

·
Registered
598 Posts
Scratch Zed off the list...you'll find a trail of horror stories leading right to their doorstep...and customer service (for me) was non-existent.

I will echo the notion of getting a dedicated DSP to control everything...I have the PXA-H800 w/RUX and I love it.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scratch Zed off the list...you'll find a trail of horror stories leading right to their doorstep...and customer service (for me) was non-existent.

I will echo the notion of getting a dedicated DSP to control everything...I have the PXA-H800 w/RUX and I love it.
Thanks everyone for the quick responses...really appreciate it.

In regards to the PXA...how do you have it set-up? Do I use all 8 ch to run the components active and leave the subwoofer off of the DSP (is that possible) or would I run the front active, rear passive plus the subwoofer?

Thanks again

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thanks everyone for the quick responses...really appreciate it.

In regards to the PXA...how do you have it set-up? Do I use all 8 ch to run the components active and leave the subwoofer off of the DSP (is that possible) or would I run the front active, rear passive plus the subwoofer?

Thanks again
The Zapco Z150.6 lx is a nice amp. Not sure what you can get them for though.
I would leave the rears running passives and use the processor for sub duty.

Helix has nice processors. The new software is nice and the phase controls on the sub is nice.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Zapco Z150.6 lx is a nice amp. Not sure what you can get them for though.
I would leave the rears running passives and use the processor for sub duty.

Helix has nice processors. The new software is nice and the phase controls on the sub is nice.
Great, thanks! Running the rears passive does open up the DSP options for sure.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone else have any suggestions as far as amps within my budget?

Any preference between Zapco Z-LX or Phoenix Gold Elite any others I may want to consider?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I will 2nd that the h800 is a wonderful and relyable processor, and that running the rears passive should present no problems and keep the subs on the dsp too. I will also 2nd the fact that both zed and zuki would be far from my list of amps to purchase.

the phoenix gold amps are fantastic, but you'd need 2 of them to power front/rear even going passive on the rears. two of the four channels could run the whole system though that's about 2k in amps. the zapco six channel is ok but I find it has a certain sound to it that I didn't like, no I actually cant pinpoint it, just that I didn't like it and swapped out for the pg amps in this particular install.

·
Banned
2,276 Posts
Replying to a simple email. Impossible.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...the phoenix gold amps are fantastic, but you'd need 2 of them to power front/rear even going passive on the rears. two of the four channels could run the whole system though that's about 2k in amps. the zapco six channel is ok but I find it has a certain sound to it that I didn't like, no I actually cant pinpoint it, just that I didn't like it and swapped out for the pg amps in this particular install.
Alright, so I've removed Zed & Zuki as options per consensus. Other than Zapco and Phoenix Gold are there any other options I should consider as far as amps go?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Alright, so I've removed Zed & Zuki as options per consensus. Other than Zapco and Phoenix Gold are there any other options I should consider as far as amps go?

Thanks again!
I've seen horrible customer service from Phoenix Gold as in defective equipment accountability but that's not even really counting the BS emails and communication from them.......and that was on their "elite" line......

·
Premium Member
483 Posts

Thanks again!
I would go with ZED or Zapco. Both are powerful, clean, great sounding amps. Zed doesn't have a customer service dept. like most companies. That's why people say it's horrible. You have to deal with the owner, whom from what I've read (on here and formed my own opinion)is fair but not "trained" in customer service.

·
Banned
2,276 Posts
Responding to email is pretty important when you are a online based company.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would go with ZED or Zapco. Both are powerful, clean, great sounding amps. Zed doesn't have a customer service dept. like most companies. That's why people say it's horrible. You have to deal with the owner, whom from what I've read (on here and formed my own opinion)is fair but not "trained" in customer service.
So, fair to say, for the budget I have set for an amp I am at least looking at the right options here? Are there others that I should be considering? Focal, DLS, MMATS? IDK?

Thanks again all

·
Registered
255 Posts
All those companies you are considering have good amps but if you ever have problems good luck with their terrible customer service. Just go with a jl hd 600/4 and be done with it.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
the jl hd amps are ok but have a sound all there own, you should listen to some before making a call on them. plus they get quite warm.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.