DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

ZED, ZUKI, ZAPCO, DSP's OH MY...HELP ME CHOOSE!

5K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  DCB305 
#1 · (Edited)
ZED, ZUKI, ZAPCO, Phoenix Gold Elite, DSP's OH MY...HELP ME CHOOSE!

Hey guys i'm a novice at this and i'm trying to make a decision on an amp for my front and rear components and a DSP..be kind!

I have Focal K2 Power 165KRX2 for the front and rear and was thinking about running them active.

I have been looking at offerings from ZED, ZUKI, ZAPCO Z-LX, Phoenix Gold Elite...I would like to stay under $900.00 for the amp for sure. I am open to other suggestions as well, but if possible would like to buy American. I really don't want to have a discussion about American vs import, but I am open to import models also.

Also, need help choosing a DSP. Would like to go active for the whole set up, but that would require a 10 CH DSP from what I understand. Right now the only ones I see available are from Helix (DSP PRO 2) and Audio Control and I would probably go Helix due to the remote control being more dynamic but they are expensive.

Was thinking about Alpine PXA h800 (8ch), but not sure how I would run the setup...do I use all 8 ch to run the components active and leave the subwoofer off of the DSP (is that possible) or would I run the front active, rear passive plus the subwoofer?

Thanks in advance...I appreciate your constructive and informative suggestions!

See less See more
#2 ·
A few things.
Zuki has horrible customer service. ZED isn't much better.
You will want the DSP to control everything

#5 ·
Scratch Zed off the list...you'll find a trail of horror stories leading right to their doorstep...and customer service (for me) was non-existent.

I will echo the notion of getting a dedicated DSP to control everything...I have the PXA-H800 w/RUX and I love it.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone for the quick responses...really appreciate it.

In regards to the PXA...how do you have it set-up? Do I use all 8 ch to run the components active and leave the subwoofer off of the DSP (is that possible) or would I run the front active, rear passive plus the subwoofer?

Thanks again

#10 ·
I will 2nd that the h800 is a wonderful and relyable processor, and that running the rears passive should present no problems and keep the subs on the dsp too. I will also 2nd the fact that both zed and zuki would be far from my list of amps to purchase.

the phoenix gold amps are fantastic, but you'd need 2 of them to power front/rear even going passive on the rears. two of the four channels could run the whole system though that's about 2k in amps. the zapco six channel is ok but I find it has a certain sound to it that I didn't like, no I actually cant pinpoint it, just that I didn't like it and swapped out for the pg amps in this particular install.

#14 ·
...the phoenix gold amps are fantastic, but you'd need 2 of them to power front/rear even going passive on the rears. two of the four channels could run the whole system though that's about 2k in amps. the zapco six channel is ok but I find it has a certain sound to it that I didn't like, no I actually cant pinpoint it, just that I didn't like it and swapped out for the pg amps in this particular install.
Alright, so I've removed Zed & Zuki as options per consensus. Other than Zapco and Phoenix Gold are there any other options I should consider as far as amps go?

Thanks again!

#17 ·
Responding to email is pretty important when you are a online based company.

#20 ·
the jl hd amps are ok but have a sound all there own, you should listen to some before making a call on them. plus they get quite warm.

#21 ·
If50.4 LX would do very well, but you would be starting to run the costs up quite a bit (we're talking over a grand apiece).

As for DSPs, there are two manufacturers that are widely recommended here on this forum...Helix and Arc Audio. If you are needing ten channels, then it would fall to the He you run the back channels passive, you will not find a much better amp than the Zapco Z150.6 LX. I am assuming, here, that you are NOT running a sub. If you are, you will need a moneblock amp, as well.

If you run component active both back and front, then you will need two amps. The Zapco Z1lix DSP Pro (or DSP Pro MK2). If 8 channels will do, then either the Helix DSP or the Arc Audio PS8.

I like the PS8 because it throws out a strong 8 volt signal to the amp (that Minidsp only throws out a max of 2 volts).

The Helix, I hear, has a more user friendly software. It throws out a 4 volt signal.

Both the Helix and Arc candidates are extremely capable and, like I said, well liked on this forum.

#35 ·
I use ZED amplifiers; two leviathan 3 (latest version) and a minotaur 3. I have had awesome communication with Stephen himself.

I blew the minotaur, he accepted it, repaired it and returned it in a great turnaround time.

I cannot speak on the horror stories i have read, since he always answers my calls and does not shrug me off.

Hope this helps.

#37 ·
I'm a car audio novice, also in the market for a DSP. That said, I'm intrigued by Zapco's forthcoming HD/DSP-Z16 V PRO. I'm a sucker for Zapco's philosophical pitch, and find the HD playback feature to be very desirable. I called Zapco, and this has been delayed to a May 2017 rollout (at the earliest), and will MSRP at $1,800.

Any thoughts on this forthcoming Zapco offering?

#38 ·
Thanks guys for all the help and suggestions. Likely going with the Zapco Z-LX/s for amp's and likely the Helix DSP.

Another question. It looks like these will be pulling roughly 200amps maximum and I have a 150 amp alternator...is this problem?

Would I just need to consider running 2 batteries? Caps? or is upgrading the amp required?

Thanks again...you guys have been great.

#39 ·
I'm running Z-LX amps and a Helix DSP Pro MKII and they are an awesome combination!.

I tried out the DSP tuning software for Mosconi, JL Audio, and Audio Control and preferred the Helix software the best. I had been waiting on the Zapco V series DSPs but got tired of waiting and waiting on it to come to market, so I got the Helix with a director and I have been very happy with it.

Your 150 amp alternator should be fine if you have a good battery. The class A/B Z-LX amps pull more current than class D amps, but at normal listening levels (under 100 dB) they don't put too much of a strain on the electrical system. Unless you were looking at playing music at loud levels for a long time and/or playing the system with the engine off, I would not worry too much about a second battery. The Z-LX amps have a very tightly regulated power supply, which pretty much negates the need for a capacitor. I would use 1/0 gauge power and ground wire though.

#40 ·
It seems like you've already narrowed your search, but I agree that you need to avoid Zed and Zuki.

I had a Zuki amp, and it was brilliant. The amp itself was beautiful, had gobs of power, and ran cool. I sold it, and started shopping. I considered another Zuki, but none of my emails were being responded to, it seems the owner was building them more as a hobby and he did only as much as he wanted. I ended up buying a Zed amp and that experience was the worst consumer experience I have ever had. The amp was broken, twice, and service was beyond awful.

I would suggest class D, in my opinion, there is no reason to buy A/B anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.