DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm so excited i just got my new HAT's in and i just hooked them up......to zero sound? I had a crappy pair of boss coax speakers in there before just so i had speakers in while i ordered my HAT's. I took the left HAT mid bass out and put the boss on there to see if it was one of the channels on my amp screwing up...the boss plays fine on it. So whats the deal?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
do you have a DMM? measure the ohms on the HAT driver and see what it is.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I would get one. simple model is only $30-40. doing installs in a car with out simple test gear is rolling the dice.

at any rate, if the boss speaker makes sound and you do nothing but swap the wires over to the HAT speaker and it makes no sound. it would seem the HAT is defective. with out a DMM, its only a guess.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have a ddm lol sorry....now what should I look for....the wires closest to the passive crossover go to the amp and the other set goes to the tweeters right?

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
Set it to Ohms. One lead on positive terminal and one on the negative terminal. You should get right around 3.4ohms.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I do have a ddm lol sorry....now what should I look for....the wires closest to the passive crossover go to the amp and the other set goes to the tweeters right?
you said that if you connect the amplifier directly to the new HAT speaker, you get no sound right? if that is the case, then measure the new speaker.

set your DMM to ohms and put the leads on the two connectors on the speaker. (with the amplifier NOT connected) what does it read?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fixed it....it was the way I wires it up for the crossover....guess you learn something new everyday lol

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
Damn. That was my first guess but after reading the manual it said it comes all wired up in coaxial form. Did you convert it into separates?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok new problem....switched things around....they play when the key is turned to accessory then when i start it i get hella static and pops. its on very low volume but i can't hear any music at all from front or rear

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
Don't bump your post so often. People will help when they have a chance. One bump a day is plenty.

Back on topic.

Disconnect the RCA's from the amp. Check to see if it still has the problem with the car started.

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
Well, I would check power at the amp with the DMM. Once with key off and then with it started (check for about 10 secs to see any variations).

Very likely a ground issue somewhere in the system.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok guys I get everything working....my problem now is I'm getting a loud thump when I change songs and when it goes from 0 to 1 on my deck. Also I can hear some whine with acceleration....ideas?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts