DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is yet another amp review from me. :) This time around is a Zuki Audio 6 channel amplifier. This amp is all class A/B. The heatsink is plain and doesn't even sport the Zuki logo as it's production isn't 100% for sure yet. Depending on how it performs in real world conditions as well as possible customer demand will decide it's fate.

Let's start with the heatsink:

The Pre-amp section:

And the other end where all wire termination happens:

You can see that the pre-amp section is really feature packed. The X-over section is capable of running a full 2 way front plus sub system without any problem at all. Or a 3 way front and use something else for sub duty. Also, the amp measures 20"X10.5"X2.5".

I meant to install this amp in my car today, but of course it decided to rain like crazy. I will have this amp in the car before the end of this weekend!! To start, I will have it running tweets, mids, and midbass. Just wanted to get this thread started as I'm very excited about the possibility of having a 2 amp solution for my system!! Thanks as always for taking the time to read through another one of my reviews.

Zach

·
Registered
158 Posts
That's a beautiful amp.. Is it 4 ohm bridgeable? 4 channels bridged to midbass and 2 channels for the tweeters.. Perfect two way front stage :eek:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Damn I have been eyeballing the zuki amp for awhile in order to run my front stage in the car for some time now "tweeter's,midrange,midbass and then doing a mono amp for my substage

I had always held off on this amp because I couldn't ever any decent pictures of the amplifier even on the website they are VERY vauge as to what the filtering sections of the amp were actually capable of as I would like to run my component set active for the first time ever

I REALLY am looking forward to this review as I feel this amp MAY be exactly what I have been looking for

One question though how is the amp setup?
Is it essentially 2 seperate amplifier inside one chassis and how do they have them setup??

Are channel one through 4 class a/b and channels 5/6 class d??

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure on if there are seperate power supplies between the front 4 and back 2 or not. However, the amp is 100% class A/B.

As for the X-over section:

Input range on this amp is .25-5V on all channels.

Channels 1&2 - HPF - 15Hz-1KHz
LPF - 50Hz - 7KHz (due to 10X switch)

Channels 3&4 - HPF - 15Hz - 1KHz
LPF - 50Hz - 7KHz (due to 10X switch)

Channels 5&6 - HPF - 15Hz - 150Hz
LPF - 50Hz - 1KHz

·
Registered
754 Posts
Not 2 ohm stereo/4 ohm mono stable. Sorry.
Ah but can it still bridge safely at higher impedance? My mids are 8 ohm and tweets are 6 ohm. So bridge 4 channels on my mids and run tweets on the remaining 2....I like the possibilities already. :)

Subscribed.

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah but can it still bridge safely at higher impedance? My mids are 8 ohm and tweets are 6 ohm. So bridge 4 channels on my mids and run tweets on the remaining 2....I like the possibilities already. :)

Subscribed.
Marc, let me finish my testing on it first to make sure it can handle the abuse. But I think that would work just fine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The crossover section is nicely featured, but couldn't figure out the slope (6, 12, 18, 24) as it doesn't seem selectable...not much info on the website (i might have missed that part).

Cool bananas, otherwise.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Oh my Fuck!

That thing is gorgeous. Patrick needs to get this to market.

I wouldn't be surprised if it had 3 power supplies. I think the 4ch has 2 separate ones (call me on it if I'm wrong though.)

What an amazing piece of equipment, well done. Bet it sounds great.

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're correct, the 4 channel does use 2 power supplies in it. Basically giving you 2 2 channel amps in 1 chassis. I'm going to find out the details on the power supply layout for this one along with the X-over slopes. I do know that the slopes are not adjustable.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
On crossovers, did it state linkwitz, butterworth, etc? That's the slope then. Some people don't know those equate to the numbers. And the orders, either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
On crossovers, did it state linkwitz, butterworth, etc? That's the slope then. Some people don't know those equate to the numbers. And the orders, either.
Linkwitz-riley can be 2nd 4th or 8th order, I would think its a linkwitz-riley so it would have the flattest response curve at the crossover point. A butterworth would have a 3db spike at the crossover point if I am not mistaken

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If he built it like he built the 4 channel amps then they will be LR 4th order X-overs. I just don't want to state what they are until I know for sure.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Linkwitz-riley can be 2nd 4th or 8th order, I would think its a linkwitz-riley so it would have the flattest response curve at the crossover point. A butterworth would have a 3db spike at the crossover point if I am not mistaken
This is something I was not aware of, actually. I've stuck that in my memory for future knowledge, thank you.

Aside: That is a really nice contender to the Zed amp. Especially for the fact it uses standard a/b, and it is already a known fact that his last amp is very good.

Hope this goes well.

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
Every 5ch I've seen has 2 PS because you need more voltage on the sub if it is rated for more power. I assume he does not want a gut pic shown.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts